[Weekly - F/Sa] Week In Review

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I LIVE

Work was relatively quiet this week. And cold. And rainy. Field tech life is great in spring, fall, and most of summer, but it's not a lot of fun in winter. Yuck.

Kids are healthy. Winter break approaches quickly!

Bought a shed online this week, but it was damaged in transit, so plans (which include my dad driving up to help prep the ground and assemble the shed) are pushed back.

Sneaking in short bursts of gaming here and there, but still missing multiple games with my ToJ peeps. As always, grateful for TF2sdays.

Tek7

Staff member
It's almost Christmas!

Gift shopping is done.

Living room isn't quite ready for a tree, but maybe we can still pull it off. May depend largely on my wife finding more success motivating our children than I've had so far. ("Do you want a Christmas tree, kids?" "Yes!" "Then get to work!" "But we don't want to!" o_O)

Work is quiet and will likely remain quiet until the new year when it will very, very likely get crazy busy. Not looking forward to that. :/

Older child has a cough and runny nose, but is otherwise in good spirits. Hoping it's not the start of yet another wave of sickness in the house. But I still love these little Petri dishes on legs.

Tek7

Staff member
I SURVIVED CHRISTMAS

As expected, Christmas ended with my children getting way, way too much new stuff and randomly distributing it across the space my wife and I spent so much time and effort to clean. T_T We're trying to reclaim lost ground today, but it's slow going.

Those in the family who were sick seem to have fully recovered. Yay!

Had a two-day work week. Thursday and Friday were about the quietest work has ever been. Anticipating going from 0 to 90 in early January and trying not to dread it.

Back to chores!

Tek7

Staff member
I'm still waiting for someone to come along with a C-C-C-C-COMBO breaker post (this is my 7th consecutive post in this thread!), but still wanted to pop in with an update.

My older daughter has FINALLY recovered from not one but two illnesses (the flu then something else immediately after, probably a virus) and went back to school on Friday after missing almost 2 weeks. That's a big praise right there.

The little also got sick, but recovered much more quickly (4 days instead of 10).

I'm so happy that we're all healthy again!

Back to church this morning, too, and it was so good to be back.

Winter is the worst time to be a field tech and I'm eagerly anticipating spring (assuming we GET a spring this year and don't straight from winter to "sprummer" like we did last year). I'm getting ready to do more driving to help out other folks on my team replace computers in mass quantities and I'm praying that road conditions don't get nasty.

In the last week, our water heater and furnace stopped working, our fridge is freezing the bottom shelf of the main section, and we had tornado sirens go off between 11 p.m. and midnight (which means we had to get the kids out of bed and into the hall bath). Fortunately, the utility company was able to get gas service restored the morning after we discovered the outage and a repairman was able to fix the remaining issues on the furnace, which we caught early and avoided any major damage. Still, an unexpected $425 repair bill stings. We're grateful it wasn't the thousands of dollars to replace a water heater or a furnace we had feared. Praise God our house is operational once more!

Krissa Lox

Well it's been a while since I posted, but I hit a major milestone in work (yay!) that then required some weeks of recovery time (still in process) catching up on too many other things that got neglected in the meantime.

Spending some time on spiritual and physical health issues, both going well now that I can devote some genuine attention to it instead of just token efforts to try not to backslide too far in the course of daily life.

Hit kind of an odd impasse in spiritual direction that I wasn't really expecting and haven't posted much about before, but turns out to be a fundamental issue to honestly deal with now in some productive manner or another. Long story short, it's a really unpleasant experience to be an Eastern Orthodox Christian in America.

Now how much of that is my problem versus other peoples' or just one of those things that just is with no real practical solution other than to keep relying on the Lord to navigate through it, I'm not really clear on at this point. Some of the unpleasantness is avoidable to some extent by hiding behind the more ambiguous classification of "Bible Believer" to avoid issues with people who want to get into unproductive arguments over stupid stuff, but even going that route there's still a lot of stigma to not having much options in local churches to attach yourself to unless you're okay with spending a couple days a week role-playing something you're not in order to hang out with a group of people who think your true theological framework is a damnable heresy.

For the most part, I think I've become mature enough and competent enough to handle the role-playing if a position is gained from it that allows me to assist in church-provided services to the local community that do more good and reach more people for Christ than I can reasonably expect to do on my own, but over the past couple decades, local churches in the places I've been have seemed to be withdrawing more from their communities and more focused on serving themselves, so my enthusiasm for playing along has been waning proportionally. And most recently, my latest set of spiritual ponderings over how publically Christian as a Christian business owner do I really want to be, really brought home to me is that my main concern is not at all over how much do I want the world to know about my Christianity -- I genuinely don't have much concern over that -- but how much do I want other Christians to know and have a public place to dispute about it, and that's a whole different scope of problem to consider. Maybe a scope too big to be within my personal power to do anything meaningful about, so I'll keep praying on it.

Kendrik

Not sure I have a good or meaningful response right now while at work, but didn't feel hitting the like button was quite the way I wanted to show acknowledgment of your post. I find it interesting to hear that you have found it unpleasant to be Eastern Orthodox in America simply because a number of people from non-demon, but basically evangelical undergrad (men and women alike) have gone on to become Orthodox and found it a boon to them across the board. But perhaps you mean precisely what you say, that it's rough to be Orthodox in America, and not something else.

Anyroad, sorry to hear that's been rough. Wish I could be of greater utility or encouragement at present.

Krissa Lox

Not sure I have a good or meaningful response right now while at work, but didn't feel hitting the like button was quite the way I wanted to show acknowledgment of your post. I find it interesting to hear that you have found it unpleasant to be Eastern Orthodox in America simply because a number of people from non-demon, but basically evangelical undergrad (men and women alike) have gone on to become Orthodox and found it a boon to them across the board. But perhaps you mean precisely what you say, that it's rough to be Orthodox in America, and not something else.

Anyroad, sorry to hear that's been rough. Wish I could be of greater utility or encouragement at present.
While it's always encouraging just to be heard even if nothing helpful can be said, that is actually some very helpful information to me.

For clarity, I do mean precisely Orthodox in America. It's actually a great help in global or special services ministry, which is more what the Lord calls me to than local ministry. But there's always that nagging desire for connection to have local people around to talk to with some basis for mutual understanding and support, and even in online ministry there are people who will (often vocally) judge your worth as a Christian based on your local connections. Plus I do have a lot of genuine concern about local communities that seem to be suffering, but that's more of a "because I care" kind of thing rather than something the Lord specifically calls and equips me to do something about.

Your mention of knowing others who have gone into Orthodoxy from other places besides just being born into it is very consoling on another level though, in that I haven't personally been in any social circles where that wasn't a totally unheard of thing and it's always been hard to try to explain both to myself and others why would God give me a conviction for a denomination that wasn't well respected or represented where I'm at. But hearing that it's not only an unprecedented thing but also found to be useful rather than hindering in service is very reassuring. Thank you :)