Partial birth abortion is here to stay

Exodus 21:22

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. 23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, 24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Jango, I think your misreading that passage.  If it causes the woman to give birth, then the payment is laid out by the husband.  If the child is injured or killed, then the payment must be equal to what harm is caused to the child.  It is not saying that her "fruit departing from her" is equal to aborting the child, only giving birth prematurly.  In the context of what is written, what your trying to state makes no sense. The punishment for causing the baby to die was death.

Cory

It actually states if a men are fighting and hit a women and cause her to misscariage, the man must just pay a fine as the husband says and the courts allow. But if the women dies, he'll be put to death.
So the fetus still dies, even if it's not by abortion, it's still killing the fetus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr.Bill @ Aug. 27 2004,1:20)]Would someone on the other side of the issue please introduce a practical, workable solution to this dilema.  I'm still waiting..
All you are saying, over and over in a variety of different ways, is that abortion is immoral. Everyone knows this, so let us move on. Do you think we should ban abortion altogether and at once? Phase it out? And how will you handle the backlash of the poor community? Abortions are going to continue to happen, regardless of whether it is legal or not. I believe you are basing your opinion entirely on principle and are disregarding the practicality of the stance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jango @ Aug. 27 2004,4:01)]It actually states if a men are fighting and hit a women and cause her to misscariage, the man must just pay a fine as the husband says and the courts allow. But if the women dies, he'll be put to death.
So the fetus still dies, even if it's not by abortion, it's still killing the fetus.
So your stating that fruits departing = miscarriage and not just premature birth?  Perhaps you should look more into what the translation means instead of deciding what it means for yourself.

Darby
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]22   And if men strive together, and strike a woman with child, so that she be delivered, and no mischief happen, he shall in any case be fined, according as the woman's husband shall impose on him, and shall give it as the judges estimate.
23   But if mischief happen, then thou shalt give life for life,
24   eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
25   branding for branding, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

NIV
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Exodus 21
22 "If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely [1] but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman's husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

NASB
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Exodus 21
22   "If men struggle with each other and strike a woman with child so that she gives birth prematurely, yet there is no injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman's husband may demand of him, and he shall (1) pay as the judges decide.
23   "But if there is any further injury, (2) then you shall appoint as a penalty life for life,
24   (3) eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
25   burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

NLT
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Exodus 21
22"Now suppose two people are fighting, and in the process, they hurt a pregnant woman so her child is born prematurely. If no further harm results, then the person responsible must pay damages in the amount the woman's husband demands and the judges approve. 23But if any harm results, then the offender must be punished according to the injury. If the result is death, the offender must be executed. 24If an eye is injured, injure the eye of the person who did it. If a tooth gets knocked out, knock out the tooth of the person who did it. Similarly, the payment must be hand for hand, foot for foot, 25burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise

Need I go on?  You should put more effort into your research of scripture my friend.

Cory

Yes, I would Ban it. The back lash is people who engage in sexual activity should only do so after marriage with their spouse. If the choose not to follow this rule, take the appropriate precautions. If it’s a rape, get the poor woman the counseling she needs and if she is so damaged she can not treat the child with love and compassion the adopted out.

The practicality is this do not have sex unless your married I know the social impact it would have, get over it. I am not here to make someone’s sexually choices easier. There will always be a black market. Take your chances.
The principle is it’s a life, By the arguments it is. That’s my solution. I will take that to the grave!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MontrezAnthony @ Aug. 27 2004,2:39)]No ever said they were blessing and what an idiotic assumption. CLEARLY what he is saying is that while they are horrible, God can take that experience and do good with it. I myself have had some horrible things done to me; as a result, I can now connect to others who have gone thru similar situation. I could and did for a time use my experiences to twist my perceptions of the world, and used that to be a wicked person. Now God has allowed me to use what happen to help others and understand.

You took a sentence and disregard all else. What a wicked and mean spirited thing to do.
Wicked and meanspirited?

I think not.

The truth hurts sometimes, get over it.

"CLEARLY what he is saying is that while they are horrible, God can take that experience and do good with it."

That's called a BLESSING IN DISGUISE.

In otherwords, that tragedy was a blessing in disguise. Something good came out of it. Isn't that what you said?

You're trying to hide behind semantics and you've just lost. Either way you cut it, it comes down to the same thing...you are calling tragedies a blessing.

How many babies do you think survived a premature birth back thousands of years ago? And the "life for life" thing again is referring to the mother, not the fetus.

People have to cling to something in this world and I have chosen to cling to God. I have been rewarded richly for it. I have a beautiful wife and daughter to thank God for every day. I have been given these things through personal tragedy of my own. Again I speak from experience here so I know and understand what I believe. If you would like my personal examples I would be more than happy to give them to you.

In Christ,
Gabriel

That's called a BLESSING IN DISGUISE.

In otherwords, that tragedy was a blessing in disguise. Something good came out of it. Isn't that what you said?

You're trying to hide behind semantics and you've just lost. Either way you cut it, it comes down to the same thing...you are calling tragedies a blessing.

What semantics. If a man decides to rape a woman. And she has the child, and he becomes a incredible man of God. It is still the man who raped her. Not God.

But it was God who will cal la man to him and a woman and take a tragedy and make something BLESSED by it.

Its not the same as you said. You are wrong hero. God did not make the rape happen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ok DV you got me. There really is no biblical basis for the 6 finger thing. However there is real world basis for it. Native american indians would raise there hand when greeting strangers. *Hand raise* "How" My understanding of the reason for this ( im sorry this is not government school acredited....I dont believe in Govt schools) was to show the number of fingers when coming upon those they didnt know. The race of Giants that lived in the land during the same time and previously USUALLY had six fingers. These Indians wanted to know who they were dealing with. There is plenty of evidence to prove that a race of giants inhabited this country and built burial mounds and what not before we ever came here. Most of the evidence has been destroyed due to stupidity and other malevelent intents. Six fingers is a genetic trait that has been passed down through our genetic structure, as well as double rows of teeth, as well as giantism, and dwarfism. Lucifer's main plot was to ruin our gene pool so that the Messiah could never come about in the first place, yet God is sovereign and succeeded.

I have to admit that I have never heard that before...and that's saying something
smile.gif

On a total sidenote, yet related to the finger thing, is the origin of shooting someone the bird. this began in the middle ages. It took a very long time and a large amount of money/resources for the British to train longbowmen. In order to be proficient with the longbow, it took an inordinate amount of skill. The French, being the, well, French that they were, would cut off the middle finger of captured Englishmen, thereby rendering them useless with the bow. When the English would seige French forts, they would shoot them the bird to show them they were still intact and capable of beating the snot out of them.

Just a bit of useless info for you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My definition of Nephilim : Offspring from the union of a demon(fallen angel) and a human female.

It's interesting to note that this term is commonly misinterpreted as, "the sons of God". It is actually "the sons of gods", beni ha-elohim in Hebrew. This seems to be a cleverly hidden piece of mythology in the Bible.

Either way, I'm not sure where you get demons/fallen angels from. Unless of course, you've been reading Sitchin on me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This same thing still goes on today with women being abducted by "aliens" (demons in disguise) and seeded to produce useable bodies to be in-dwelt by demons. I know this is some very touchy subjects and people will have their opinions. However I would ask that you please do your research before you comment on this subject. I personally have done MOUNDS of research on this stuff.
I also believe that the anti-christ will be a nephilim, maybe not in the giant sort of way, however he will have the backing of the aliens(fallen angels).

I like the way you equate aliens with fallen angels. It's an interesting take.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No I'm not saying that the act of rape, murder, incest...... is actually a blessing from God.
What I am saying is that IF we let God do His work in our lives we would see is His blessings in the end of it all.

As I have said above, this is a game of semantics. It's a blessing in disguise then, which is the same as cutting to the chase and calling it a blessing. If that's the way you feel, so be it, but don't try to pretty it up, there's no need.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]God uses death and pain to get in touch with us. It seems to be the only thing that gets our attention, am I not right? If he can use that to bring someone closer to Him, then that person is better off for it because they now have a closer relationship with God.

That's a double edged sword though. Whether you are a believer or not, it could just as easily drive someone AWAY from God.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MontrezAnthony @ Aug. 27 2004,5:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What semantics. If a man decides to rape a woman. And she has the child, and he becomes a incredible man of God. It is still the man who raped her. Not God.

And what if that child grows up to be a mass murderer? That is just as likely as he is to grow up to be an incredible man of god. So, uh, where's the blessing there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Its not the same as you said. You are wrong hero. God did not make the rape happen.

God didn't stop it from happening either, did he?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Arkanjel @ Aug. 27 2004,5:27)]People have to cling to something in this world and I have chosen to cling to God. I have been rewarded richly for it. I have a beautiful wife and daughter to thank God for every day. I have been given these things through personal tragedy of my own. Again I speak from experience here so I know and understand what I believe. If you would like my personal examples I would be more than happy to give them to you.

In Christ,
Gabriel
For every story you could tell us about how God helped you in life, there are those of us who could tell you how God DIDN'T help.

There's really no point in trading stories.

The only outcome would be someone saying, "God works in mysterious ways".

wow this thread grew a few pages since morning.
I'm for abortion since its sometimes necessary.
Here's a question. If u found out that your baby when he is born will have some genetic defect that is going to make him die in the first few weeks and those weeks it will de in alot of pain. Would u save your child from a horrible few weeks, or are u going to be selfish let him be born and live his short life in pain.

I don't think it should be banned. People have sex, they make babies, if u can't afford to have the baby there is abortion. I believe a woman has the right to chose. I probobly don't have the right to say if its right or wrong since I've never carried a baby for 9 months, or had to make a choice to keep or abort a pregnancy.

I thnk u can quote the bible for everything, there's a quote in there to justify everything depending on how u look at it.

definition for
Abortion - Termination of pregnancy and expulsion of an embryo or of a fetus that is incapable of survival.

Fetus - The unborn young of a viviparous vertebrate having a basic structural resemblance to the adult animal.

embryo - An organism in its early stages of development, especially before it has reached a distinctively recognizable form.

Its a fetus or embryo not a person. So it can't be murder.

Well thats just my personal thoughts on it.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How many babies do you think survived a premature birth back thousands of years ago? And the "life for life" thing again is referring to the mother, not the fetus.

Please share where you gather this information from. I am pretty sure that if you injure the woman and cause her to go into premature labor that it would be enough to fall in the the "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth etc" catagory.

If you have information that shows specifically it is speaking of the woman, please, share it now.

Cory

if you can't afford a baby you should either abstain from sex or use contraception. f amily planning give that stuff out for free. My baby is due in 4 weeks. I hardly consider it a fetus. She is alive, moving around a lot and even has personality (she's very active and agressive) If she were to be taken out her survival rate is very good. She is more than a bunch of cells.

She is more then cells, but she is not yet a human being. Fetuses cannot have "personalities" more then animals can, because, heck, even animals are more sentient the fetuses are!

Here is some more information for you Jango. It seems your opinion of the translation is in the minority.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In favor of the NIV translation are the following arguments:

1. There is a Hebrew verb for miscarry or lose by abortion or be bereaved of the fruit of the womb, namely, shakal. It is used near by in Exodus 23:26, "None shall miscarry (meshakelah) or be barren in your land." But this word is NOT used here in Exodus 21:22-25.

2. Rather the word for birth here is "go forth" (ytsa'). "And if her children go forth . . ." This verb never refers to a miscarriage or abortion. When it refers to a birth it refers to live children "going forth" or "coming out" from the womb. For example, Genesis 25:25, "And the first came out (wyetse') red, all of him like a hairy robe; and they called his name Esau." (See also v. 26 and Genesis 38:28-30.)

So the word for miscarry is not used but a word is used that elsewhere does not mean miscarry but ordinary live birth.

3. There are words in the Old Testament that designate the embryo (golem, Psalm 139:16) or the untimely birth that dies (nephel, Job 3:16; Psalm 58:8; Is. 33:3). But these words are not used here.

4. Rather an ordinary word for children is used in Exodus 21:22 (yeladeyha). It regularly refers to children who are born and never to one miscarried. "Yeled only denotes a child, as a fully developed human being, and not the fruit of the womb before it has assumed a human form" (Keil and Delitzsch, Pentateuch, vol. 2, p. 135).

5. Verse 22 says, "[If] her children go forth and there is no injury . . ." It does not say, "[If] her children go forth and there is no further injury . . ." (NASB). The word "further is NOT in the original text.

Taken from HERE

By the way, I'm not trying to come across as a jerk or anything, I'm just trying to point out that the literal interpretation of the scripture your using does not say what you want it to.
Cory

Back