Guild Wars 2 Info Released!!!!

Guild Wars 2 Gamescon Demo Explained (English, yeah!)

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJC2KVNl68w
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pak242IKoWM
Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joyKeV4xbe4

My favorite quote.
"...there is going to be millions of character customization options."

This is one of the things I love most about MMO... scratch that, any game. I like being able to personalize my character and make him feel like hes a part of me interacting with a part of the story. Makes the game come to life I think.

Guild Wars 2 Gamescon Demo Explained (English, yeah!)

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJC2KVNl68w
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pak242IKoWM
Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joyKeV4xbe4

My favorite quote.
"...there is going to be millions of character customization options."

This is one of the things I love most about MMO... scratch that, any game. I like being able to personalize my character and make him feel like hes a part of me interacting with a part of the story. Makes the game come to life I think.

The game looks amazing, this is something I will be pre-ordering the collector's edition of.

Edit: Also, it was so exciting to make me use improper grammar.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted yet. But found it on GW Guru:

Originally Posted by Malchior Devenholm View Post
Eric Flannum Q&A, August 22, 2010

Malchior's summary

Hall of Monuments-When you create your GW 2 account, you will link a GW 1 account to it. You will get an item to double-click to take you to your GW 2 HoM. You will get points for things you did in GW 1. With number of points, you unlock rewards in GW 2. A full HoM guide will be going up VERY SOON on the GW 2 website, with pictures and details of rewards. It does not take a full hall to receive rewards.

This game is going to be so difficult and challenging for an old, slow bear. Yet I am looking forward to it.

I'm too lazy to post a link, but from PAX this past weekend, arenanet announced that they'll be releasing smartphone apps (droid/iphone/ipad) that will hace gw2 access in that you can: chat with friends/guildmates, view a real-time map of tyria that shows where your online friends currently are, and eventually will add access to the in-game auction house.

I'm too lazy to post a link, but from PAX this past weekend, arenanet announced that they'll be releasing smartphone apps (droid/iphone/ipad) that will hace gw2 access in that you can: chat with friends/guildmates, view a real-time map of tyria that shows where your online friends currently are, and eventually will add access to the in-game auction house.

This is what I've been waiting for them to do in GW1. Happy to see them do this in GW2. Instant download!

Okay, I was heavily rolling my eyes at this until I got to "in-game auction house." Do you have any idea how hard it is to unroll your eyes!?!

"In-game auction house" counts as tremendously good news on its own. Apps are nifty, but not that exciting to me. The idea that the in-game auction house could be accessed from out of game sounds great to me.

http://www.massively.com/2010/09/04/pax-2010-guild-wars-2-hands-on

We began with a look at the dye system. It's light-years beyond the system we know today, with each piece containing separate dyeable areas. Rather than collecting vials of dye, you'll begin with access to a generous set of 11 starter colors. As you play you'll unlock more colors in sets. The sets contain several sets of jewel tones, neutrals, warm and cool tones, and the rare "midnight set," the set that contains true black dye. If you find a color that really appeals, simply right-click it to add it to your favorites. The window we looked at contained around a hundred colors, but there are hundreds more available once everything is unlocked.

The dye unlock system is account-wide, rather than character-specific, and it was at this point that I learned that account-wide features are going to be par for the course.

YES YES YES!!!! I'm a sucker for design and personalizing my character's look.

http://www.destructoid.com/pax-10-a-hands-off-look-at-guild-wars-2-183338.phtml

zacharia's favorite quotes from this article via the Wizardly Players Guild...

The actual armor your character wears is purely cosmetic; stats and bonuses are instead conferred through crests that you socket into your armor. While it does sacrifice realism for the sake of personalization, since in the real world a pirate costume is obviously less effective than a full suit of plate armor, the crests will allow you to give your character a look you actually like, and will hopefully keep everyone from running around in identical gear.

Regardless of the role you play in an event, the game itself is very action-oriented. Characters can run, jump, and dodge in the middle of fighting, and almost every skill can be used while your character is moving. Auto-attack is non-existent, so you need to be pushing a button every time you want your character to act.

Many skills you use in combat will leave a mark on the ground -- the example I saw was when an Elementalist threw down a wall of fire. In addition to damaging enemies in its path, the fire continued to burn on the ground as the battle progressed.

You'll also be able able to revisit older instances with lower-level friends without steamrolling everything for them -- the instance will downscale your level to match those you are partied with, allowing you to still enjoy the challenges of earlier instances and to group with your friends.

This was a reply to the above article:

Fayl

After trying out the demo twice over the course of PAX weekend- once as a human (levels 1-10) and then as a Charr (level 45ish) - I'm confident in saying that GW2 is fulfilling a lot of the hype that ArenaNet's fantastic blog has created.

As expected, the art is amazing as it was in GW1, with the engine adding a few new bells and whistles to update it today's standards. Overall it feels very similar to seeing the first game when it was first released: an engine focusing on beautiful, stylized art and animations instead of a lot of polygons and video card crunching. In the end it was probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing games of the show. Spell effects popped and it was very easy to understand roughly what it was doing and how I should react after seeing an ability used once or twice. Sound effects and music sounded nice; however it’s hard to really comment considering how loud the show floor was.

The real meat of the demo of course was the combat. I usually play casters, so I picked an Elementalist for my human play-through and a Necromancer for my Charr. When I first tried the human character I was slightly underwhelmed by how I was blowing up my opponents; it felt like the same usual spell clichés (bolt, cone, etc) from any other MMO. But after a few new abilities after leveling up, and seeing how creatures reacted to different spells it really begin to click. The lack of auto-attack was a breath of fresh air, and made every encounter feel less like a chore. I found myself actually going out of my way to pull in some mob I saw roaming around just to try out a new combination of spells on it; quite a change from how I usually play my MMOs (dodging between packs of mobs to avoid engaging them).

What really sold me on the game, however, was my time on the level 45 Charr. After getting a feel for the game on the human, playing a hero with a full set of abilities was an awesome experience. The Necromancer had a lot of the usual tropes that you would find in any other fantasy RPG; undead pets, DOTs and poisons, life steal, etc, but the game mechanics lead to the most ‘Necromancer’ feel I’ve ever played in game. Ordering pets around to blow them up in a crow of enemies, sacrificing health to deal heavy damage then moving in close to ‘bite’ a target to gain it back, and turning into a ephemeral shade to fear targets and spread plagues just felt right in GW’s combat system.

After playing for a bit I also came across the weapon swap option (‘V’ if I remember correctly), which could be used in combat every x seconds (can’t remember exactly, but it wasn’t very long) to swap all my abilities. The default was a wand that focused on dots and ranged slows and damage dealing bolts. Swapping to a wicked looking dagger I was granted a number of melee based attacks, in addition to a lot of aoes and life stealing options. By the end of the demo I was sending my pets into a pack of mobs, dotting up and blasting away several targets, then swapping to my dagger as they drew close to quickly tear away the last bit of their health and heal myself back up.

It was a ton of fun and despite sounding similar to other MMOs on the market, felt like nothing I have played before. I cannot wait to pick it up again.

Now that gives a lot of yummy yummy tidbits!

Back