• Saturday

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pilgrim said:
I'm confused :| What?
With the MVP package at my GameCrazy, I get a years subscription to a gaming magazine. I choose OXM, but when I looked at my invoice the clerk gave me when I went to renew, my address was for the wrong city. So I should get all of last year's issues, plus the next 12. One of those back-issues will be contain Battlefield 2 demo, so I was just celebrating that I would be able to play it. =)

Someone said they're handing out the demo at EB Games, so you may want to check there. As for the demo, it's smashing fun. I believe I've played it more times then Halo 2, and there's only one map on the demo.

Impressions on the Far Cry demo in OXM?

Anybody have any thoughts on the Far Cry demo in this month's OXM? I didn't renew my subscription, but I'd love to hear what people have to say about it. I'm pretty psyched about the game, especially the map editor. I saw some videos of the map editor and it looks amazing and pretty intuitive. It's definitely near the top of my list of Xbox games that I want to get that are still coming out this generation along with Half-Life 2, Battlefield 2, Starcraft:Ghost, and Blazing Angels:Squadrons of WWII among others.

The one thing I was pretty disappointed with in a trailer I watched online was the amount of cussing. Some bad language here and there won't necessarily keep me from getting a game, but if the whole game is bleep this and bleep that, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Anyway, some thoughts on the demo? How do the controls feel, how are the graphics, what's fun/not fun about it. Thanks!

I've been meaning to get a subscription to OXM and just haven't yet. A friend of mine said that it's awesome though.

Click here for a thread where some people are discussing it. They can let you know if it's worth playing better than I could.

Thanks for the link... looks like a cool site. I had a subscription since the Xbox launched. It's well worth it for the demos. The cost of the subscription has more than paid itself by saving me from buying some games after I played demos that were junk. I know that you can't always tell a game by it's demo, but if I can keep from wasting $50 on a game, then the subscription pays for itself. The only reason I let my subscription run out is that I figured it will probably start being filled with mainly 360 demos. I'm going to have to wait until a price drop or two to pick up a 360.

Malohaut said:
I'm currently testing Madden 06 for Xbox 360. :) Can't say anything more.
WHAA?!?

How'd you land that, Malohaut? Do you work for MS, or some other testing firm, or were you just randomly picked off of Xbox Live to be a beta tester? =D

I work for EA Sports as a QA tester. My first project was Madden 06 PC and now I'm on Madden 06 for XBox 360. I really enjoy it. :D

That's very cool. I've heard that's a tough job though. If you enjoy it, that's awesome. I know you can't talk about the games you're testing, but what are some of the goods and bads that people (you don't have to talk about you specifically) find about being a QA tester? I'm just curious. Playing games for a living is a pretty unique thing.

Its a fun job and you're right, its not for everyone. God prepared me in advance because 1. I've played computer games for many many years (since the Kings Quest series) so I know games pretty well. 2. I'm very familiar with computers and programming, so I understand the basics of graphics and interface. 3. I spent several years in a past job troubleshooting computers.

So you have to know the difference between a bug and what was intended to be in or left out of the game. And that's not always easy.

The good part about it is that its a fun job. You get to see the games before they come out and you have a lot of fun with the guys next to you. Its a very casual environment so long as you keep focus and remember that you're there to test, not to play. Its kind of like being in World of Warcraft, playing with the guild, except instead of having everyone you know all over the world, they're all together in the same bay. So that's cool. And of course when you're done testing and the game is complete, your name goes in the credits.

The bad thing is that the pay isn't perfect. But what do you expect? You're sitting down looking at games. And the hours can be very long though (which helps with overtime). When comes time for Beta or the end of Beta, you may end up working up to 80 hours a week if necessary. That's not good if you have a girlfriend or wife (and I don't have either. :( ) And its not without stress as you have to keep testing well and you're under stress to help finish this game before the deadline.

So like any job, it has its perks and its issues. But all in all, I'm happy here. :D

I'm looking forward to the next Ghost Recon Game. Although, if that one looks dissapointing I'd have to say Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion would be next on my list.

Rainbow Six Lockdown impressions?

I just picked up Lockdown last night. I played a little bit of the single and multiplayer gametypes and I really enjoyed both.

It's been so long since I played the previous R6 games that I can't really compare them with Lockdown. Honestly, from what I remember of the previous games, I'm a little disappointed with Lockdown's graphics. I could just be remembering wrong though.

The multiplayer game is what I spent most of my time playing last night. The highlite of multiplayer is the new PEC mode. You create your online character, specify your character's role, and then play some games. As you play, you earn money to buy/repair equipment and points to level up your character. As your character advances in levels, you can assign attribute points to a variety of skills. You start out with three basic skills and from what I can tell, other skills unlock as you advance. The level and skills also affect which items you can buy.

The character class types can also create some awesome squad based games as long as squads coordinate well, work as a team, and have everyone operate each character's role.

For example, I played a game last night where I was the medic, there was 1 engineer, and 1 commando. We were in a room with two doors. The engineer first placed charges by one door and we all exited the other door. The commando exited first and was hit by someone waiting outside. He fired a couple of shots wounding the enemy as he backed into the room. I healed him and then we both exited and took out the opponent. We were both injured again, so I was able to heal us. Meanwhile, the other enemies were trying to circle behind us through the other door in order to take us by surprise. Fortunately the engineer's proximity charge took them out and we won the round.

For those of you who have played the PC and Xbox version, how do they compare? Are they basically the same thing? I'm debating on if I should get the PC version or wait for the 360 version. I've got the PC demo and I'm lovin' it except the fact that flying's hard w/o a joystick.

DanR12 said:
For those of you who have played the PC and Xbox version, how do they compare? Are they basically the same thing? I'm debating on if I should get the PC version or wait for the 360 version. I've got the PC demo and I'm lovin' it except the fact that flying's hard w/o a joystick.

Well, the Xbox edition of Battlefield is a stripped down take on the PC version. The maximum players in a game tops out at 24 and the commander mode isn't present. As to the content of the Xbox 360 version, it's a little confusing. Not much information has been released on it, but if the features listed at GameStop are correct, the 360 installment should be closer to its PC Brethren. That isn't a definitive conclusion however.

I really dig the Rainbow Six series, but the reviews so far haven't entirely endorsed the game. Does it match up well with the rest of the Six Series Tolkien?

I've spent quite a bit of time playing it and I like it despite the fact that there are a lot of bugs. Fortunately the bugs are being fixed. Ubi submitted a patch to Microsoft to be pushed out soon which will fix several problems. Right now it's a pretty good game. After the problems are fixed it will be a great game.

I honestly don't know what to say about comparing it to the previous R6 games though because it's been a while since I've played the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back