Any words of wisdom for a noob?

Heros have access to any skills that's unlocked on your account.

Skills are unlocked whenever you learn it on any character. They can also be unlocked by spending Balthazar Factions, which comes from PvP and the Zaishen PvP missions. So basically, playing the game more will give your heros access to more skills and they'll get better over time.

In 8-man areas, you tend to have a dedicated healer and protector monk. The healer generally carries hex removal (e.g. Cure Hex), while the protection monk carries condition removal (e.g. Dismiss Condition). You can also get hybrid builds and spread out the roles among the team, but that's getting into more advanced stuff. In 4 and 6-man areas, you usually have a hybrid monk that takes a mixture of healing and protection.

So far I have M.O.X. the dervish, Ogden Stonehealer the monk, Vekk the ele, and Gwen the mesmer. I have never played any of those professions so all they have are the base skills. What skills would you recommend me getting them as they accumulate skill points?

As a warrior I have unlocked all or most of the available free skills up to this point by doing quests & such. I have not used any of my skill points that i've received. Are there any skills that are "must have" for a warrior that I may not already have?

Until you start getting elite skills to build your skill bar around, it's all kinda awkward. Use what skills will help you most and you are most comfortable with. As for heroes bars, try and look through all the available skills and use your judgement. The "good" builds for heroes all require elites and mainly cross-campaign skills. So 2 skills will be from prophecies, a couple from EotN, a few from Nightfall, etc. Right now you're at that stage where you just have to make due with what you have and experiment. If you notice you have a ton of hexes on, try and find a hex removal skill for your monk, if you notice that you're having trouble killing some enemies, try finding some synergy with your heroes skills and your own (ie. maybe have your Vekk bring Conjure Flame which will increase your martial damage if you have a sword that does fire elemental damage).

(ie. maybe have your Vekk bring Conjure Flame which will increase your martial damage if you have a sword that does fire elemental damage).
That's actually a self-targeted enchantment, so it wouldn't work. Having a Ritualist take weapon spells is useful though.

Stc is right though, you'll need to get further in the game to be able to reach the elite skills. Ogden Stonehealer comes with Holy Veil unlocked, I think, which is a hex removal spell.

Watch your hero bars to see how well they maintain their energy consumption. Hero monks who are usually out of energy during & after a battle means the build needs to be augmented. There are spells/skills that will give energy bips to other allies such as the necro's Blood Ritual and Blood is Power. Blood Ritual is not an elite. My necro healer hero always takes this spell.

Many players usually have at least 1 of their mesmer heroes with a focus in Domination. You can use this build which I believe all spells should all be unlocked by now and/or speak to the Skill Trainer at the Eye of the North outpost.

Mesmer
12 + 2 (attribute points) in Domination
10 + 1 in Fast Casting
8 + 1 in Inspiration

The "+" are runes added to your hero's armor.

Cry of Frustration
Diversion
Shatter Hex
Empathy (or the Elementalist's Glyph of Lesser Energy)
Power Drain
Energy Tap
Ether Feast
Resurrection Signet

Also try taking one of your heroes and switch their secondary to every other profession. I think you may be able to unlock a few more skills in this manner.

That's actually a self-targeted enchantment, so it wouldn't work. Having a Ritualist take weapon spells is useful though.

Doh! It used to be a regular enchantment. Forgot about the nerf. Foiled again!

I didn't think it was ever a regular enchantment...as far back as I can remember it was self only, but maybe it wasn't in the very very very original release (I started playing a few months after it was released).

Oh.. maybe I'm just crazy and fantasizing now.. Oh the glory that could be Conjure Flame!

Well, it'd need a faster re-cast to be really awesome in that respect...especially when combined with Greater Conflagration and a MM....drool....

I think you'd be better off just taking Splinter Weapon, with its AoE damage that also happen to trigger Barbs and MoP.

Which brings to mind one of the things that can help in making a strong skill bar. Try to concentrate as many of your skills and attributes in just 2 areas if you can. For example a warrior might have 20 in sword, 18 in strength, and a pittance in some other attribute. The are a few classes that make this difficult, most notably Ranger and Mesmer, but usually(a generality if you please)it makes for a stronger skill bar. Remember when doing this it is best to but as much as you can in your Primary attribute. Think Energy Storage for example in elementalist.

Once you've hit level 20 and done both quests that reward attribute points, it's common to split the base attribute points 12+1+1 in the attribute that is most central to your build (e.g. Fire Magic or Swordsmanship) and 12+1 into your primary attribute (e.g. Energy Storage or Strength).

When splitting between 3 attributes, people tend to split 12+1+1 in the attribute that is most central to your build, 8+1 into the primary and 10+1 into an additional attribute. The third attribute is usually related to energy management when the primary attribute offers no skills to manage energy (e.g. Inspiration Magic). Note that Warriors often do not need energy management, because most of their skills are fuelled by adrenaline.

'+1' means that you have a minor rune of that attribute, whereas '+1+1' means you have both a minor rune of that attribute and a headpiece with an inherit bonus to that attribute.

Once you've hit level 20 and done both quests that reward attribute points, it's common to split the base attribute points 12+1+1 in the attribute that is most central to your build (e.g. Fire Magic or Swordsmanship) and 12+1 into your primary attribute (e.g. Energy Storage or Strength).

When splitting between 3 attributes, people tend to split 12+1+1 in the attribute that is most central to your build, 8+1 into the primary and 10+1 into an additional attribute. The third attribute is usually related to energy management when the primary attribute offers no skills to manage energy (e.g. Inspiration Magic). Note that Warriors often do not need energy management, because most of their skills are fuelled by adrenaline.

'+1' means that you have a minor rune of that attribute, whereas '+1+1' means you have both a minor rune of that attribute and a headpiece with an inherit bonus to that attribute.

I am at lvl 19. Should be to 20 in a day or so. As a warrior\ranger I have been splitting my attribute points 3 ways. I have been putting it in Strength, Hammer Mastery and Beast Mastery.

Which should never leave a necro's bar.. arguably.

PS. MoP = Mark of Pain
I think it's safe to say that whenever you play a melee class with heros, you should aim to have a Ritualist with Splinter Weapon and a Necromancer with both Barbs and Mark of Pain. The awesome synergy between Splinter Weapon and Mark of Pain cause you to deal massive AoE damage, whereas Barbs does the same with single targets.

I have been tinkering with the elite, Double Dragon the last couple of days. It is one of the most easily captured elites so is not hard to get. Give a Hero ele Double Dragon, then bring along a melee Hero if you aren't melee yourself. Then watch all of the pretty fire while aggroing a mob. If you are a caster stand close to your ele and gain the protection of fire at the same time. Since the last buff Double Dragon is actually worth a lot.

I made level 20! :D I didn't realize i'd lose my Fire Imp... Oh well. I have 3 more missions till I reach Droknar's Forge and 80 armor and a better weapon and runes and other things I've been too cheap to spend gold on. I think that once I do that i'll go back and work on some of the quests and mission bonuses that I skipped over to make sure to grab any free skills I missed.

Once I finish Prophecies, i'm going to do Eye of the North and then decide if I want to take my current character thru the other 2 campaigns or use a fresh character so I can experience the other campaigns in their entirety.

I appreciate all the great advice you've given so far :).

Last edited:
After doing Augry Rock don't forget to do all the side quests in the Crystal Desert. Once Augry is finished quests become available to change your secondary, unless you would rather pay gold to change your secondary later.

Back