Any words of wisdom for a noob?

I like those words of wisdom - even outside of Guild Wars. That Raven is so wise.

Thank you for the help last night Abba :D. I appreciate it. I'm a total noob in Guild Wars and MMORPG's in general. I'm very glad I started over with a new character. So far after 4 hours i'm a lot better equipped than I was before. Much better weapons and armor upgrades this time around. Just a few more things to get (as far as I can tell) and quests to finish before I roll out of the pre-searing stage.

I got the game installed at work on my morning break and will be playing on my lunch from 11:45am - 12:15pm EST

Last edited:
Pick up everything along the way, and merch it. Your money needs will increase, please avoid asking in forum or alliance, "How do I get rich quick?". Just pick up all the junk along the way and salvage what you need to, sell the rest. Study up on what salvages into what. Stay in pre a bit, I'll show you where Nicky is in pre, you might not want to major farm for him, but occasionally trade for Gift of the Hunter. Useful stuff is in them.

When you get out of pre-searing (I agree, take your time), I might add that there's money in blue runes. ID them, then check a Rune Trader for the cost of the higher value insignias & runes for which to salvage.

Here's a good website for information on Pre-Searing: http://presearing.com/

It's actually a good idea just to identify everything that is unidentified. With the exception of some of the lower level stuff, identifying items that need identifying always increases its value. Identifying items also unlocks the related upgrade on your PvP characters.

Before selling an armor piece or salvage item that has an upgrade attached to it, check the value of it at a rune trader (such as the one at your Guild Hall), otherwise you can ask someone in Alliance Chat.

Yeah - in pre I identify all blue items. Most only get a one or two gold bump - but one out of four will go to the 58 - 65 range - making it well worth the few who do not. The gold does accumulate - even in pre.

I saw you online yesterday Abba but wasn't able to get your attention in chat. I managed to get the tool belt from Professor Yak by farming for Iris's. I've managed to upgrade all my armor but the helmet. Now I must complete the ensemble :p. Thats another 50 Irises :eek:. Oh well, can't go out of pre without my matching cap :D. Only one more side quest left on my to do list. will have to check wiki to see if I've missed any. Can't believe how much I missed with my old character. Pre is a big area.

I tried going after the Charr in the Northlands to get the coveted Charr bag. Those guys were brutal! I managed to recruit someone from Ascalon city to help and we could barely kill one, maybe two, but they always ganged up on us and we couldn't get away. I died many times before giving up.

Last edited:
It's generally a good idea to wait until you're level 10+, unless you're going with someone higher level. In saying that, you generally only hit that level if you plan to go for the LDoA title (Level 20 in Pre-Searing), which I wouldn't recommend going for at your stage because it limits you to a very small section of the game for a fair few weeks/months. Also, I personally wouldn't worry too much about getting that headpiece. You can get a 30 armor (40 for ranger, 50 for warrior) headpiece as soon as you leave Pre-Searing for a fairly cheap price, especially in comparison to the time it takes to get 50 flowers.

Last edited:
I'm with Jeffrey - don't even worry about armor - you get so much better armor in post. I have a couple of charr bags for you - just need to pass them on. I might even have some warrior runes - but you can also buy those once you are in post nd get the better armor.

I'll look for you this morning and afternoon to pass the charr bags along.

You can easily make lvl 10-13 in pre without ever going North of the wall. Do Charr at the Gate with Rurik, let him do all the smushings. Abandon the quest before taking the reward, wash, rinse, repeat. The Vanguard quests aren't too hard at 10-13, if you get over whelmed run and let your fire imp handle it.

Hey Captain Tea...

My couple of thoughts are these:

1) Enjoy the non-linear aspects of the game. Once you leave pre-searing, you'll have a lot of side quests along with the main story mission. I wasted a lot of time slogging through them all. You don't have to. Do what's fun. You can follow the main story quests to get down the road and come back and do side quests when you have a little more power.

2) I didn't like post-searing Ascalon because it was a blasted wasteland... especially after pre-searing. It gets better.

3) I enjoyed having two or three characters active at the same time... So that when I got stuck or bored with one, I could play along on the other. The different professions have very different styles of play. Just think through a little bit which of your characters you want a certain title on (i.e. Cartography, Party Animal, etc.).

Have fun! It's good to have you in the Guild!

You can easily make lvl 10-13 in pre without ever going North of the wall. Do Charr at the Gate with Rurik, let him do all the smushings. Abandon the quest before taking the reward, wash, rinse, repeat. The Vanguard quests aren't too hard at 10-13, if you get over whelmed run and let your fire imp handle it.
While I do accept this as fact, I'd say that hitting level 10-13 in pre-searing on your very first character shouldn't be a priority.

What it really boils down to is your choice, but my view is that if you wait that long to get out of pre-searing, everything (including henchmen) will be much lower level than you and you'll find yourself steamrolling through everything. Personally, I think this takes most of the fun out of the game, but again, it boils down to your choice.

The only reasons for staying in pre beyond 8-10 are: going for Legendary Defender and/or the daily Nick gifts for the booze/party/sweet points for a main in post. I know I titled both booze and party that way.

Thanks for all the great advice :). If the helmet is a waste of time i'll just forget about it. I don't think there is much left to accomplish in Pre right now then.

I took your advice and skipped the helmet. I left pre yesterday at level 8 with all the available skills. I'm much better prepared now than I was before. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
As a Warrior/Ranger should I sell off all of the healing anks, wands, staffs etc. and just keep the axes, swords, bows, shields and hammers I like? I just keep accumulating the stuff and don't use it thus far.

Last edited:
Not sure if you know but with the GW Trilogy, you do get bonus items. Type /bonus in the chat window. For weapons relevant to your warrior/ranger, you receive a max damage flatbow, hammer & shield. The Serrated Shield has great stats. Even if you don't meet the 9 Tactics requirement yet, it will still add +8 armor to your armor rating plus you'll still receive the additional bonuses from the shield. A flatbow is always nice to use for pulling because it provides extra time due to the high arc.

Many players will only keep weapons that give an inherent weapon damage inscription that reads "Damage +10 to 15% (while health is above 50%)". As Kyrel already said, sell anything you won't use. Be sure to ID them first.

As a Warrior/Ranger should I sell off all of the healing anks, wands, staffs etc. and just keep the axes, swords, bows, shields and hammers I like? I just keep accumulating the stuff and don't use it thus far.

Actually, I'd sell the swords, axes, bows, shields, etc too! All the weapons you're seeing now are basically just junk. Trash all of it unless it's better than the weapon you're currently holding and would like to trade up.

One exception! If you finish the quest, "Cities of Ascalon", you'll receive a Grim Cesta as one of the rewards. KEEP THAT ONE! You likely won't be using it but a lot of player value it and you can sell it for 3-5k to another player.

On an unrelated note, have you made a Factions character yet? If not, I highly recommend that you start one. They'll be celebrating the Canthan New Year towards the end of January (coincides with the Chinese New Year) and you'll want a character there to experience it. It would be nice to be familiar with the area around Shing Jea Island as well for the celebrations.

Good point, Raven. Just start one so you can be there for the festivities.

Back