Any words of wisdom for a noob?

Captain_Tea

My copy of Guild Wars Trilogy is supposed to arrive tomorrow :). My 1st character is "Kaptajn Tee", a Warrior/Ranger with a pet Melandru's Stalker named "Leo". I made it to level 8 before I ran out of time in my free trial.

I've been reading a fair amount on http://wiki.guildwars.com to get prepared for when my copy of the game arrived. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for a noob?

Take your time, read/get into the story, and avoid farming as long as possible. The game has a real long life span as long as you don't try to rush through everything.

And this page: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page will be your best friend.
I always kept it open on my #2 monitor. It is a HUGE help when mission objectives are a bit unclear or you just need help knowing the best way to clear an area.

Pick up everything along the way, and merch it. Your money needs will increase, please avoid asking in forum or alliance, "How do I get rich quick?". Just pick up all the junk along the way and salvage what you need to, sell the rest. Study up on what salvages into what. Stay in pre a bit, I'll show you where Nicky is in pre, you might not want to major farm for him, but occasionally trade for Gift of the Hunter. Useful stuff is in them. Elhanan is right, don't rush, don't hurry take your time and enjoy the richness of the game. Watch out for scammers, especially in Pre, some of those scammers have been working on it for 5 years or more. Ask for a price check if unsure on Alliance chat. And a great website for price checks, and getting rid of stuff when you start getting stuff worthwhile, is http://www.gwauctions.org/
Last of all if you can't figure it out with Wiki, there is no such thing as a noobish question, we are all new at one time or another.

My one serious wish that I knew beforehand, was to do the Cartography right from the beginning in all the games and EoTN. What a gem of a tip. :)

Last edited:
I would start with the Prophecies campaign, as it's by the far the most newbie-friendly campaign and progresses at a slower pace. Feel free to try different professions that are available to the Prophecies campaign to see which ones you enjoy, then aim to complete the campaign on a single character. My opinion on one of the best starting professions would be the Elementalist. This would be due to the straight-forwardness of the profession, based mainly on dealing direct damage and inflicting unconditional debuffs.

Also, don't attempt to PvP until much later in the game. The obvious reason would be that playing through PvE familiarises you with the game, but there are other important reasons. Every skill you learn and every upgrade you identify in PvE becomes unlocked on your account, which gives all of your PvP characters access to that skill or upgrade. This means that the more you PvE, the more variety you'll have in PvP.

Personally I would say not to worry too much about titles at the start, especially titles such as Survivor and Legendary Defender of Ascalon. While you can aim for Survivor by staying alive and avoiding huge risks, don't stress about it if you die a few times. Survivor is based on consecutive experience gained after your most recent death, so it's not important to aim for it at the start. If you try to get every single title at the start, it'll become less like a game and more like a list of chores, which completely ruins the point of a game (which is to have fun).

Legendary Defender of Ascalon is a title gained for attaining level 20 in the starter area (commonly known as "Pre-Searing", or simply "Pre"). This takes weeks to months to manage and it can become quite repetitive, so I would leave this until you need the titles.

There are certain titles that I would encourage working towards:

For the Protector title, you need to complete every mission and its bonus objective in a campaign. Before entering these missions (the first one is The Great Northern Wall), I would check the wiki to see what the bonus objective involves doing. I would avoid reading further than that on the mission page unless you get stuck, as it can ruin the fun.

For the Cartographer title, you need to uncover the entire map. While you don't have to directly work on this at the start by going far out of your way to uncover map, I would suggest doing as many quests as possible and exploring the areas in which these quests take place. Try to run along the edges of maps if possible to uncover as much map as you can.

Last of all, remember that it is a game. Find a profession that you enjoy playing and don't feel you have to get level 20, finish every quest, get every title and become a millionare as soon as possible. Take things at your own pace and enjoy the game. :)

Last edited:
My next mission is #4 "Nolani Academy". I may have missed a side quest in one of the outposts or previous missions. I know I didn't do everything there was to do in the starter area. Should I try to go back and do them or is it too late? Should I perhaps delete my character and start over just to be safe, before I get too far along?

Last edited:
My next mission is #4 "Nolani Academy". I may have missed a side quest in one of the outposts or previous missions. I know I didn't do everything there was to do in the starter area. Should I try to go back and do them or is it too late? Should I perhaps delete my character and start over just to be safe, before I get too far along?
What it boils down to is your choice. Secondary quests are not essential to the storyline and you can manage without them. On the other hand, quests can lead you to new areas and some quests reward you with additional skills.

So either you can carry on until you get stuck, then go back and find some quests to get some experience/gold/skills, or you can go back to each outpost and take every quest. A good habit is to take every single quest you come across, even if you don't plan to complete them right away. You might even complete quests by accident.

I think I will create a new character and spend more time in the Pre-searing stage. There are definitely things I missed. Do new characters automatically belong to the SoE guild or will they need an invite?

I think I will create a new character and spend more time in the Pre-searing stage. There are definitely things I missed.

On second thought I think i'll keep going on with my current character. It doesn't look like I missed much that I can't buy later.

Last edited:
Well...if you do decide to reroll a character in pre-searing, let me know. I have several perma-pre characters that can help get you around quickly.

Well...if you do decide to reroll a character in pre-searing, let me know. I have several perma-pre characters that can help get you around quickly.

On third thought :p I think I will take you up on that. I think I will start over with a new character. I'm missing 4 skills that I could have gotten if I had stayed in the presearing longer, namely all the ax skills and the resurrection signet.

Last edited:
You can delete your char- make sure you put all your stuff in the storage before you do. Even your bags to give to the re-rolled char after he leaves pre. You can use the same char name too.

I agree with Kyrel - if you are never going to use that character again - dump his/her stuff and re-roll. No sense wasting a slot. I should be able to be on later this afternoon (Pacific time) or at least by evening time.

What is your in-game name?

I agree with Kyrel - if you are never going to use that character again - dump his/her stuff and re-roll. No sense wasting a slot. I should be able to be on later this afternoon (Pacific time) or at least by evening time.

What is your in-game name?

I'll name my new character "Captain Tea". I'm in the Eastern time zone so I may or may not see you before I head to bed at approx 10pm EST.

I should be able to get on about 7:00pm EST - I'll PM you when I get on.

Do you have Teamspeak 3? It is not necessary, but helpful.

I should be able to get on about 7:00pm EST - I'll PM you when I get on.

Do you have Teamspeak 3? It is not necessary, but helpful.

I have teamspeak 3, i'll hop in the Guild Wars chapter channel when i get in game. I'll keep my eye out for you.

My words of wisdom:

Don't pay for anything you don't need. For example, if you don't need elite armor right now then don't pay for it.

I say that fully aware that I have a set of Vabbian Armor....but I waited a long, long time before I got it and only got it after weeks of farming quests to get the materials for it and after a massive influx of gold from selling stuff at a fairly high price.

On the other side of the coin, if you have it and don't need it, find the right person to sell it to. Check whether spare crafting materials will sell for more at the trader or the merchant before selling them, or see if you can get more by selling them to a player. Never merch a green item if you get one, and check if the upgrade components are worth more (maximum strength ones almost always are) than the item they are attached to before selling them off.

Raven once made a very good point when it comes to making money by saving money. It went something like "Make a list of all the things you want to buy and how much it will ultimately cost you. Then don't buy anything that doesn't get you closer to your goals." A very good idea.

Back