Any words of wisdom for a noob?

I've got a couple of questions that might help him and me out. Kyrel, you said,
Sell to the Merchant or salvage anything your not gonna use.

1) Do you find that it pays off in the long run to salvage weapons? I had thought the better return on investment would be to sell them to the merchant (merch price + value of salvage kit > value of resources).

2) Same question, only about white salvage items (i.e. axe fiend armor, shaman garb, etc.)

3) I know that there is a point where it pays off to identify everything, even whites... (I wish I knew that years earlier.) But where I've been playing in Kryta around Lion's Arch that seems not to be the case. At what point in the game does that turn around, or do you think it's true all the way through?

4) Is it imagination, or do you get more resources from an identified white salvage item than from an unidentified?

I'd love to hear from you guys, and especially get some links that go into it a little more in detail. (I hear a lot of opinion, but haven't heard much that's for sure.)

1) Do you find that it pays off in the long run to salvage weapons? I had thought the better return on investment would be to sell them to the merchant (merch price + value of salvage kit > value of resources).

2) Same question, only about white salvage items (i.e. axe fiend armor, shaman garb, etc.)
Speaking in just monetary value, I would go with IDing and selling items would be more profitable than salvaging. However, if you are in need of materials, obviously it's cheaper to salvage drops than to buy from a material trader. So it hinges on what is needed, money or materials. The way I did it, if I needed materials I would salvage everything white and ID/sell any colored drop. If I needed money, ID/sell everything, save when I knew something could salvage into something nice (IE. Ruby weapons have a chance to salvage into Rubies etc.).

3) I know that there is a point where it pays off to identify everything, even whites... (I wish I knew that years earlier.) But where I've been playing in Kryta around Lion's Arch that seems not to be the case. At what point in the game does that turn around, or do you think it's true all the way through?
Not certain, but I believed I noticed that it's best if the enemies are level 15+. Certainly any area where there are level 20 enemies, the drops always are more valuable ID'd than the cost it is to ID them.
Remember: ID kits are 4gp per ID, Superior ID kits are 5GP per ID, so as long as the drop you are IDing goes up by 5 GP, you are in the clear.

4) Is it imagination, or do you get more resources from an identified white salvage item than from an unidentified?
That I can neither confirm nor deny, but my inclination would be no, it does not matter. The only help you get my IDing something you want salvaged would be to get a mod from it.

Wiki has this:
  • Identifying white (common) items is recommended when the unidentified value is 25 or more.
  • Salvaging identified upgrades is recommended when the item's value is below 10, because these upgrades, when salvaged, can almost always be sold for more than 10. Note that some modifiers (such as Show Me the Money) increase an item's value and shouldn't be salvaged.
  • Since there's a minimum 50% chance of retaining an item, it is recommended to salvage upgrades, runes, and insignias when the merchant or rune trader offers more than half of the item's value for its upgrade(s).

I do Mesmer secondary - just to have Arcane Echo. Dump two Savannah heats on a mob and watch all the pretty yellow numbers.

When you become experienced and know what salvages into what, you'll be able to tell how much profit you will make from salvaging something. For example, if you know a certain white item salvages into granite or iron, that would be a definite yes to profit from salvaging, due to their value. On the other hand, salvaging something that usually salvages into bones may not be so profitable.

Another thing is that upgrade components sell for a minimum of 25g to an NPC. Expert salvages cost 16g per salvage. This means that if the initial item worth is 9g or less, it's worth salvaging the upgrade component whether or not you need it. There's also a 50% (higher with titles) chance that the item will be retained, which you can then salvage/sell for a bit more money.

Basically the same, because runes also sell for 25g to NPC merchants. Remember to check the value of the rune at a rune trader though.

Whats a good 2nd for Ele? Mesmer?
I'd definitely go for Mesmer. Arcane echo is nice for copying powerful skills that have longer recharge times, or if you're like me, I tend to take an interrupt such as Cry of Frustration because my main is a Mesmer and I'm obsessed with that skill. You can also utilise Mantras in certain areas of the game (e.g. Frost in the mountain areas and Flame in the Ascalon and Ring of Fire areas).

Many Elementalist farming builds also use a Mesmer secondary, as Mantras and/or the skill Channeling can return huge amounts of energy if used correctly. I wouldn't worry about farming for now though, completing the game while having a fun experience should be your goal at your stage.

I forgot what that music sounds like, I'm a fan of Pre-Searing music though. :D
Did you know the guy who wrote the music for the GW series (including GW2), Jeremy Soule, also did the music for Skyrim and the 2 games before it, a pile of Harry Potter games, a pile of Star Wars games among many other games? He's quite a big name in the game industry.

Did you know you can get that music and play it while you are working? It is pretty inspirational.

It is a hammer for me...

Actually - when I am working on a Bible study - it is such thrilling and hopeful music.

What is a good way for a warrior to block bad spells? As I progress the hexes are getting stronger and I'd like to counteract them if I can.

That's generally not for the warrior to worry about, it's the monk's issue ;)
A decent back-line will remove most harmful conditions and hexes from the team.

If you don't trust monks and are paranoid about being hexed, then take secondary Mesmer and either Hex Breaker from Domination magic to prevent hexes or Hex Eater Signet from inspiration magic to eat up hexes and gain a bit of energy.

That's generally not for the warrior to worry about, it's the monk's issue ;)
A decent back-line will remove most harmful conditions and hexes from the team.

If you don't trust monks and are paranoid about being hexed, then take secondary Mesmer and either Hex Breaker from Domination magic to prevent hexes or Hex Eater Signet from inspiration magic to eat up hexes and gain a bit of energy.

I see, I need to get my hero monk set up better then. I've only ever played the Warrior and i'm not very familiar with the other classes yet. Having heroes now I suspect I am about to get better aquainted with them.

Last edited:
I usually run two monks, one heal, one protection. Then one can carry hex removal, and one can carry condition removal. A little note, if you leave your monk on passive and not defend they can do a better job on the back line.

Back