Tek's Writing Challenge: cc.slim

Four

“How do you plead” I over heard bringing my attention back to the old man.
Immediately the lady in front of the old man began barraging him with curse words that almost brought me to cover the young girl’s ears but by the time her tenth word exited her mouth the old mans proclaims “Guilty” and slams his gavel down so hard that it shot out sparks that resembled lightning just before the thunder. The lady was gone vanished in thin air.
As the echo of the gavel subsided the old man proclaims “Ten has passed by me and only you three have legal representation”. “What’s up that Slim old buddy”.
I shrug my shoulders and reply “You got me on that one boss”.
He then continued to say “The legal council may now approach the bench”. When the old man finished his sentence a youngish man entered from out of nowhere wearing a white robe. He approached the bench and faced the old man and quietly they conversed.
I then heard the old man ask “Do you represent these two and Slim”, as he pointed right at me. The council turned and glanced at us and smiled, turned back towards the old man raised his hand and said “I do”!
I blinked at the councils raised hand in amazement for on the back of his hand was a telltale nail mark.
Then I hear the old man say “Not guilty you are all free to go”.
My heart sank upon realization then slipped into absolute humbleness over how I have behaved and how close I was to vanishing forever. I looked at the young girl as she jumped up and grabbed the nail marred hand of the council and while jumping up and down she shouted sounds of thank you. The naval lady who was gagged suddenly began singing and I shake my head in acknowledgement of the restraint.
Now as I followed the lady and the pretty little girl who was holding the councils hand while walking towards a door when I hear “Slim”! The council turned to me and winked with a comment “You asked for it Slim”.
I hold out my hands palms up in an ok what sign before turning to see the old man smiling at me waving me to come back.
I marched right back in front of him, then stood silent before him and He asks “Slim! Do you remember what I said about you being a funny guy”?
“Yeah”!
“Well I bet you are! And since you caused so much grief to that world I think fun is definitely in order”. He turned his attention towards the door as I followed his eyes to what I was astounded to see and that was the naval lady’s clothes changing to a pure white gown, then as she exited the doorway the little girl with the pretty blue dress waved back at me as her clothes changed also to white. I look down at my pajama’s wondering if my clothes will change and suddenly breaking the silence was the old man laughing in a sinister tone upon the door where the others had excited slamming shut.
“I hope things aren’t ornery up here” I mutter to myself.
“They are” came the mind reading reply.
Oh no! Abort abort!

Last gasp

“Welcome back Slim” the old man replied looking at me from around the side of a painting easel he had set up beside his judgment bench.
“It’s sure nice to hear you say welcome back when I appear in this courtroom” I comment wiping my forehead.
I put my hands on my hips, wrinkle my eye brows and continue “Now, that was cutting it awful close! Shoot you singed my hair on that last drop!” rubbing the top of my head to get a feel of how close.
“Flat tops are back” he stated with a chuckled.
I roll my eyes and look down and notice I was still wearing pajamas and that my feet were free of the bungee cord he’d been using on me for his infinite pleasure. I smile and look back at him and ask “I should’ve set a bungee record on that last jump huh”?
“Nope I had a few back when I thought bald was beautiful and they made it a hair further than you “He answered back laughing at how he emphasized hair. He then looks back at his painting and then back at me and states “Slim I heard you’ve been talking about me”.
“Yep” I reply grinning then adding with a touch of sarcasm “I sure have! Why every chance you paused between your giggles”. I throw my arms out to help gesture emphasize my next statement “Gosh learning to speak like they do is tough enough, yet I have to contend with your dunking me or using me for your personal yo-yo. Why when I was in the water all I could do when I reached the surface is talk so fast that my words all ran together like a blurp”!
The old man erupts into a huge belly laugh then asks me “Is that what you’re calling that? O ho ho. Sounded more like farting in the tub”! He continued laughing and finished his comment with “and at times had the stench of it as well”!
I shake my head at his non understanding of how hard it is to speak between gasps of air and yet still try.
“Okay” I reply dragging the kay out and in recovery state “At least with the bungee cord I could think for a second or two and shout out as I passed by without a mouth full of water”!
“Yeah I heard you”! He comments then flicks his paint brush like a wand at me and with a snicker points out “Just before every scream”!
“Those weren’t screams those were adrenaline driven shouts of joy boss” I contest.
He shows me his white teeth in a big smile and suddenly his paint brush became a remote control and he then points it at the white wall beside us. With a few clicks he browsed through snapshots of my facial expressions pausing here and there chuckling.
“Slim you are a funny guy” he says turning the pictures off and continuing “In fact so funny you inspired me to paint your portrait” as the remote instantly became a paint brush again.
“I hope your not using those pictures” I reply cringing at the thought.
“I’m not! I am painting you as you stand here before me now” he says relieving me of those photos and sending my curiosity as to what he is painting.
“Can I see” I ask?
“Why sure Slim, but keep in mind its not totally finished” he answers flicking his brush a few more times and steps back motioning me to come over and look. I hesitantly approach and pause to look at him before I turned around to face myself in what appeared to be a mirror. I instantly noticed my portrait was not wearing pajamas but was dressed in a white robe with a crown.
“My my ain’t I a handsome one” I comment about my image. I look down at my pajamas then back at the mirror and critique “You call me a funny guy when I stand here in my pajamas and your painting shows a robe and a crown.
“I only paint living portraits Slim” he states from behind me.
“And the crown” I ask?
“Why it’s the one you’re wearing Slim” he replies with a chuckle.
I turn around and face him as he reaches to me and lifts a crown off my head. He gently rotates the crown so that the light could glance off the embedded gems to flash my eyes. In amazement I ask “I was wearing that”?
“Every one who asks wears it Slim” he answers.
“Every one” I repeat.
“Yes Slim. Every one who asks will bear the crown of love” he confirms and gives it a name.
“Do the gems have meaning” I ask being nosy.
“Slim, they have names” he laughed.
“Names” I question then point at the biggest one in the middle and ask “So that one is called”?
“Faith and branching from it will be the smaller versions of faith that you’ve earned within the boundary of love” he answered and adding more information.
“Ok so why does some of the gems lack luster like that one for instance” I ask as I touched the gem.
“Slim, that one is trust and when they lack luster it is because it has not been used enough. You see Slim, a gem that is used in the harsh abrasiveness of darkness will shine as a star and those you don’t use look like that” he explained handing me the crown.
I turn and face the painting and noticed that the crown in the portrait had many more gems than the one I was holding and as if he read my mind his hand passes over the crown and it becomes filled with glistening gems.
“Slim, the gems of faith will fill the crown of love through usage of love itself” He states sharing his wisdom.
I shake my head in understanding of what I just heard and stare at my portrait and I turn to him again and state “Boss that trust should be polished to gleaming sheen with all the ornery things you’ve done with me”!
“Screams of despair and asking why all the time is not showing signs of trust Slim” he clarified.
“So you’re holding my adrenaline driven screams against me” I ask knowing full well what he has said to me.
“No Slim, it’s what your heart reveals” he explained while stepping back to his judgment bench and he continues “Slim its time to go”.
I instantly look down when he said that to check my ankles for bungee straps and became relieved when none were found. I quickly glance back at the painting and noticed an eagle soaring high above me in my portrait which compelled me to ask “What’s with the eagle in my portrait boss”?
“I so love the eagle Slim and today it’s your clue” he comments adding mystery to my moment.
“A clue” I question.
“Yep and now go and make me proud and remember to trust” as he slams his gavel down sending me back into a free fall but this time with no attachments.
As I fall I look at the crown that I held and all the gems he had made appear disappeared and the few that were there before remained as first seen.
“A clue” I pronounce out loud as wind whistled past my ears as I gain speed.
My mind works in a fury to descramble his clue when suddenly an answer enters my mind.
“Eagle huh” I semi question and with the closing of my eyes I slowly unfold my arms to extend them out as if I had wings. As I fall with my eyes closed I feel the resistance of the darkness begin to slow my descent and out loud I mutter a “Thank you”.

Suddenly I felt a jolt which opened my eyes to see a single light above me. I look again to notice that the light was a light bulb on the ceiling. As I lay flat on my back I look over to my hand that held the crown but it was not there. In place of the crown was a guitar pick. I rub my eyes and saw a star pattern burn mark on the electrical outlet and a frayed power cord below it. I shake my head and I hear in the back ground “Mom! Slim is burning something upstairs again”.
I lay my hand on top of my head and feel the singed hair and smile.
“Well only one thing left to do” I say to myself as I roll over and pluck the one string guitar two final times.
(thump thump)
The Heartbeat.

Hollywood writers on strike Newbs needed pg 1

Standing true to my character when I was asked Why I felt compelled to write in such a way that points upward, I of course blurted the first thing that came to mind without ever taking the time to chew on the question. Now after time has passed I reconsidered the words I’ve chosen and of course it’s too late. Still, the question remains to nag within my mind.
To assist you in reference to my dilemma is, Why would this fuzzy mammoth of a caterpillar inching before me that has hair all over its body and none on its head (reminding me of a brother I know) to continue a journey forward into the unknown ever so slow yet with determination. Is it a seed or a program set deep within? I know where it goes and to what it will become just the same as you but when you look at it with eyes of clarity you might see yourself inching ever so slow in the same direction. Moving mountains within the mind to crossing over the lowest of valleys of life all to become more beautiful then what was before. Good thing for my brother ha-ha. Pun aside my bro hehe!

Here after I took some time to consider the question “Why” I came up with this scenario with a simple answer. I want to be like Jesus. I want to reach the unreachable, touch the untouchable with the words of Jesus. To read as recorded to instill the needed wisdom. For the seed as said will grow on fertile ground, me of course, will be shoveling as much fertilizer on this rocky old soul assisting the roots to bring released growth. Proof to be seen that it is a seed, inching onward just like this bald headed caterpillar pointing to Gods glory. Of course I’m a failure illustrated by a brother who knew Gods words and like him really didn’t know God, yet upon a moment, sight was given, irrefutable evidence that you can’t truly now know God until you know Jesus.

The answer I gave was that I wanted to climb higher on the mountain to shout out praise and gratefulness but in humbleness the words of the 2006 Dove award winning song How Great is our God by Chris Tomlin echoes in my mind.

The splendor of a King, clothed in majesty
Let all the earth rejoice
All the earth rejoice

He wraps himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide
And trembles at His voice
Trembles at His voice

How great is our God, sing with me
How great is our God, and all will see
How great, how great is our God

Gosh it’s a whole lot better when he sings it, small wonder I have to climb the tree to be joined with others as leaves all to be moved by the breeze, because me as one leaf makes little sound. Now that I released of all that I have, I still have another situation that needs guidance and that is if I am using enough fertilizer. Thinking along with Chris I need to know if more is needed only because after the next story I pray that you don’t see me.

Hollywood writers on strike Newbs needed pg 2

So surreal that I write this after I stood alone in the presence of my Grandfather as a man broken like he who lies prone before me. I spoke to him but I was not to be heard. I clenched his placid hand for assurance of reality only to have it lay immobile within mine. His non healing bones and damaged mind both are the unforgiving attributes of old age, dealing him the ultimate of slow and inevitable and I can do nothing. I fell to my knees in tears as I held the hand which held mine when I was so small. Mesmerized by the kind loving hand of one that nurtured the seed of truth I cried out in silent prayer “Why? Where is your glory in this?”
Tears poured down my cheek while my free hand clinched into a fist as I continued to question “What can this wonderful creation give to you lying like this!”

I bow my head to roll it back and forth as to shake the misery within. I lift my head to unleash the silent fury from within bringing forth a demand “Who can benefit from this” as I gazed upward through a veil of tears. Unanswered I dropped my head, slowly unclasped my clinched fist and set it upon his hand to lie numb.
In anguish I sobbed silently “Tell me please, the benefit of this mockery. I have searched your word and I found nothing that bears fruit in this. He can no longer grab the plow. His voice can’t praise your name or answer my cry so please in your entire wisdom share with me something that eases my heart. Please.”
Now drenched in tears I rested my head on his bedside lost to the swirling emotions.

As my body trembled under the load of unanswered questions and selfish burdens I felt the slightest pressure of grip from his hand. I lifted my head in acknowledgement and began to rise but the grip tightened as a signal of presence and the voice that I so longed to hear softly began with courage and unwavering faith “Thank you for the full and satisfying life you’ve given me. I thank you for my grandson whom you know I love so very much. I pray everyday for your blessings to fall upon him as gentle as nourishing rain. Today my prayer to you is to ease his failing heart so he may know that everyday as I face upward I pray incessantly. Even in silence I will continue until you take me as I entered. I thank you for keeping my mind filled with wonderful things and for the painless rest. I pray that you may help him to know that after the winter there is spring and with it brings a new beginning. So please I ask, ease his heart of the burdens within so I may see his face as one unafraid to reap what has already been sown. Through the name of Jesus I pray these things.”

I write not for the tears that are falling, nor for those from confusion, rather, to share the assurance will you soon understand.
It’s something surreal you see that’s not only for me.
To which side it may be, when you grasp the hand.

Laus Deo

Fifty five flash fiction

Dewdlz received a rusty bicycle to ride in the parade. She worked extra hard to buy paint for her bicycle. I laughed and mentioned that if she would ride it in the parade I would ride beside her. Her smile was such a sight the day I rode beside the girl and her purple bike.

Could not resist 55 flash

Yeah I stole the dog and sold it at flea market for fifty dollars. Laugh out loud, hell that pooch kicked and squalled for its master but when I smacked that pooch it shut it up. Yep I stole that dog, used the money to support the Internal Revenue Service and now suggest you adopt!

Gotta do one more flash 55 wOOt

Named Watchman
Software Automated awareness of unknown origin
Status Dormant

It was discovered poised on the outer realm of light in 2006 by Hubble telescope. Manufacture of advance origin, initiating language unknown. System software invades probing host with dormant virus of unknown script. {Click whirr} I presage word in warning of approaching light! Beware darkness!

Emeralds are fine but diamonds are dandy.

Watch ya doing Slim?
Digging a hole, so I can bury some stuff.
What stuff are you burying?
Everything in that bucket yonder!
What could be in the bucket that needs burying?
Just things that need replaced. Gosh!
Mind if I have a look see?
No problems just snoop away.
Ah Slim, have you a clue what your burying?
Yep sure do.
Slim, you do know these are gems.
So, their not the gems I’m looking for
Slim, some of these are precious with a smattering of semi precious.
My goodness gemologist, thanks for the keen eye.
I don’t understand why in the world you would bury them.
Their not ripened yet.
Their not fruits, like you.
I know but flaws in perfection puts a hiccup in my giddy up.
And you bury them to correct the flaws?
Yep.
Slim you are one silly dude.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I don’t understand.
Hand me the bucket and I’ll show you smart aleck.
Ok so you poured them in the hole and buried them. Now what?
I start filling the bucket back up with fresh ones.
Now I know you’re the fruit.
Seriously think of it the same as fruits.
How do you mean.
Labor offers fruits.
But you’re giving them back.
Yep. Look up.
All I see is stars shining.
Diamonds are like stars my young grasshopper.
And you want diamonds.
Duh of course I’m after diamonds.
Shouldn’t you be in Africa or Arkansas or some place like that.
Nope here is just fine.
So how can all this give you diamonds?
Oh my buddy the noob you keep reaching and grasping.
And how can you keep reaching when their so high?
Never give up and keep reaching up like this!

Humor at times might be incorrect. pg2

“How so” he asks as my eyes follows his hand upward into the night sky. He pauses as if to decide which star to grasp, clasps his hand, and lowers it. With a nod he gestures to hold out my hand and as if he held fine sand he sprinkled above it nothing. He then touches my palm with his finger tips and asks “Rebuttal?”
“Absolutely” I blurt without thought.
He motions for me to take center of the deck. With a wink to my wife seated next to his, I turn to our host for approval who casually shrugged his shoulders and motioned for me to proceed.
I look back at the man who proposed a solid challenge and as if something struck him awry he demands “Keep it civil, Ok”!
“Seed or sight” I mumble as I began searching within my mind a key to my rebuttal.
“What was that? Never mind I heard you, seed or sight, for whatever that means. Just keep it civil” he remarks with a hand wave of entrance before he sits down on a deck stool.
I look upward, a key please swiftly swept through my mind.

Once more I glance around the vaguely lit deck illuminated by low porch lights and stars of the night. I pause with a smile at my wife and turn to face the challenger who sits smugly alone in a dim corner of the deck.
I roll up my sleeves anticipating an answer back to my request yet I find nothing in my mind but the word key. I shake my head to jiggle the word to another that would fit the scenario yet key clung to my mind. A key has to start something I conclude, approached the challenger and turned the key with a reality to be known.

“With words and touch you expressed. Might I ask just to keep it civil, equal merits?
“But of course” he replies.
I hold out my arm in front of him and ask “For touch I ask for you to find my heartbeat?” Adding the nod of my head he felt my wrist paused and answers “You have one.”
“For word, promise” I ask?
“I promise I felt your heartbeat” he scoffed.
“Great. Thank you” I reply, turn and crossed the deck over to the ladies and ask “For witness would you ladies please verify my heartbeat”?
“I do” expressed my wife upon touch prompting me to ask “Promise?”
“Promise” she replied.
“And will you promise” I ask the wife of my challenger.
She touches my wrist and states “I promise”.
“Thank you” I reply and turn to walk over to our host who waves me away forcing me back to the center of the deck.

I positioned myself where all could see and then with my face upward I closed my eyes and began “To feel a heartbeat that beats mortal but for word beats promise”
I lower my head and opened my eyes to continue “The heartbeat you felt is waining, meaning it will die” I state, as a smile breaks my face wide when I looked over to the dim corner.
I open my arms and confirm known facts “Information now travels at the speed of light instantly filling our minds. Your DNA can be mapped and machines can keep you alive.One could say random for mortals who still have heartbeats that will dim over time.” I pause to let the information settle.

Then to a point I commence “Something inside drives our heartbeat and within that is our answer. The key to finding what keeps us going is Love. Even now as we toil to our eventual demise it is for the love of others or for the love of oneself, to point, love is involved. Found is the ignition to our heartbeat but not our answer.”
Adding a head nod to continue as I look at each person “The pursuit of love focuses oneself to continually motivate towards the capture of love only to find it bound by the facts of mortality. More than the materials given or the grandeur of words is needed to fulfill the desire for more love. To look we take spouses, buy homes, cars and careers and after all that more is needed. So we continue to search.” pausing to let my focus drift upward.

Dropping my gaze I summarize “Words, funny how life can hinge from the power of words. Love is as fire; either warms a heart or consumes it cold.” I pause and perused the deck then concluded “A moment ago, I asked to have more than an honest confirmation of my heartbeat, I asked for your promise. Promise warms the heart and is an appealing word when in doubt. Through love I have found promise and with the promise a purpose. The promise is that that my love has a purpose and with this purpose I implore in critique that when you reach” raising my one hand upward and winking at the shrouded man “To be civil, let go of the world with this other hand” as I shook my hand freely low then raised it beside my other and turned my head upward, closed my eyes and finished “And with the key, reach, with all three” as I open my eyes I whispered “Seed or sight.”

“That’s one of the funniest rebuttal’s I have ever witnessed” the challenger stated amid his laughter and hand clapping. “So much drama at the end, to reach with all three sounded so poetically rehearsed, I applaud you!” he said clapping irritably louder.
I grimace at the thought of falling short and step back from center of the deck when our host pats my back and says “Nicely said and nicely put” but it was of no comfort as he continued patting my back. Totally taken back by the challenger’s incessant antagonizing approach towards my rebuttal well after I heard all of his tirades as to not merit mine I slunk back amidst the rest of the guests.
The evening wore down with them leaving first and with him taunting me with the words “All three ha” and as she left she said “For the reminder of promise I thank you”.

I look for a clue. Why I do not know. Possibly to promise, for words to ring true. Have in his mind for his still echo in mine. Seed or sight may never show. Promise to this world. Through love I also ask, how so?

Inside flash fifty five

Hovering pen over paper
Emotion flows not to ink
Flawless humbling inspiring
Blocked unworthy to release
Deep to words it’s fulfilled
Teasing objective instilled
Forcing soul into motion
Tainting astute devotion
Desire reborn principled
Intent solely for reparation
Absent not to separation
Masterful big expression small
Tempting behind solidified wall
Failure to give inescapable all

Hovering pen over paper
Emotion flows not to ink
Flawless humbling inspiring
Blocked unworthy to release
Deep to words it’s fulfilled
Teasing objective instilled
Forcing soul into motion
Tainting astute devotion
Desire reborn principled
Intent solely for reparation
Absent not to separation
Masterful big expression small
Tempting behind solidified wall
Failure to give inescapable all

Nice effort Dale. Technically what you wrote is a 55-word poem (not 'flash fiction' because a work of fiction has to have a conflict and resolution.) I've always thought you had a good knack for poetry and I hope you'll write and post more.

In the way of critique, I think there are some areas where the words sound really good and rhyme but don't really have solid meaning to me as the reader. I usually struggle with this myself when I write poetry, so lately I've been starting my poems by first writing out what I'm trying to say without worrying about making it rhyme or what words I'm using. Then I try to reshape or reword it according to the content rather than a pre-set notion like "the last word of every two sentences will rhyme". Sometimes poetry is best written without using rhyme at all, but instead something else like alliteration to unify the lines.

Edit: Let me add one last suggestion Dale - the great poetry of the mid 20th century and earlier that we all study in school often rewords sentences into what I call 'Yoda Speak' for the sake of achieving a rhyme (AKA Size matters not, Only then a Jedi will you be, etc.) Unfortunately, this really isn't 'acceptable' to the modern ear, so the 21st century poet really needs to avoid 'Yoda Speak' unless he or she is intentionally mimicking an earlier style or trying to be humorous. Of course, that makes our job just that much harder. :)

Paul

Last edited:
Poetry me never can git rite or lol conflict n resolution

Words beckoned me in the dark, twice speaking my name.
Hour of two ante meridiem as wife sleeps beside me.
Rooms I sought for sound. Found I was, the only one around.
Out side I round the house for nothing until I searched the sky.
Early morning hour was when the voice I loved died.

To ever ask why

Wind across solemn water
Rippled to flow endless
Wheat dressed in gold
Bowing wet with dew
Puffed clouds high above
Crossing a vast blue sky
Wind from where to where
Subject to endless query
To ever ask why

Songs from a bird
On a frosty winter morn
Crickets in the night
Singing with their legs
Wings of a hummingbird
Pausing before buzzing by
Sounding to what purpose
Issue in depthless questions
To ever ask why

Melting of a snowflake
Wetting ever so gently
Warmth of a crackling fire
Easing chills from the cold
Softness of a puppy’s ear
Caressed as it lies
Grasping for meaning
Topics of vast research
To ever ask why

Sight of the eyes
Of things to behold
Sounds for the ears
To things that’s foretold
Touched on the exterior
Inside from a child’s cry
Clued in points of love
Themed for infinite senses
To never ask why

oight oight qwip qwip qwip qwip
oight oight qwip qwip qwip qwip

Just stopping by to show off my brand new converse all stars oight super stars lol!!! Really I am almost done with three but with Easter approaching I must withhold, not because of a lack of focus but because of his greatness verses my mere desire. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about what was given so we could gain! We're allowed to pray incessantly because he died so we could live and with that each and everyone of us should take a moment and give thanks every day not just on Easter or Sunday's. We know that it's not where we worship but how we worship that opens his heart and fills ours! Oight The real star has risen! Now, after I made a fool of my self showing of my new con's, I as a quarter inch worm must keep on movin on up the tree!! Oight oight qwip qwip qwip qwip

Balloons

Disgusted!
The words my children have chosen to express themselves horrified me.
On a mission I neutralize every possible cause of the language by eliminating television, music, and whatever else I felt the rod of discipline could reach without causing bodily harm when instinct suggested soap.

I now sit alone at the kitchen table my heart soured beyond disgust because I caught myself unfocused using ill words of my own and also by my lack of good parental control.

I lean over where I could see the two sitting quietly and after I was assured that they were behaving I reached over and slid a plain piece of paper with a pencil on it over to me. I look down at this plain empty paper and drew a circle in the center of it and set the pencil down mad at myself by my bullish approach towards the children and worried about their future.

In silence I bow my head and close my eyes in search for answers.
I open my eyes and promptly picked up the pencil and drew a straight line down below the circle. My pencil pauses as a child silently eases up behind me. With one eye secretly on the child I drew two short lines branching triangular off the bottom of the straight line. A giggle betrayed the child as I quickly turn to capture and pull close. As I hugged the giggling child close I drew one line off each side of the middle. A burst of laughter announced the arrival of the second child slipping in beside us.
Now if you have followed along in your mind should have somewhat of an image of what is transpiring in front of you. As artists we entered a mouth, a nose, ears, feet, and fingers. Behold before us stood a likeness of a man. Now as we gathered together creating the man by adding more features like a cowboy hat and boots holding a stick horse we came to the point when nothing else could be added. The children giggled at the creation when one mentioned the option of having the rendition saying something so I added a balloon beside its head when a thought embedded in my mind.

I asked them where the paper came from. Tree’s was the instant response. I then asked where the pencil came from. Trees and lead they responded somewhat correct but on the same path as my mind was.
So, I asked what makes us different from him pointing at the rendition.
Silence once again filled the room.
We were created from materials from the earth same as him I compared. One of the things that is truly different is we can choose what we fill the balloon with where he can’t say a word. Now if every word we say rises out as balloons, would our words be appropriate for others or for him to hear I asked pointing upward.
Silence issued out as I had both children’s attention and my own.
It’s easy for us to say things that are good and bad but what would happen if we couldn’t say anything at all. Would people know that we have the love inside?
Both children’s eyes were locked to mine
Now before we add words to the stickman let us take a moment to think of words that are not ours words but rather words from our creator. So the both of you go sit down and think about what we can use to show that we have the love that is worth sharing.

The children left to go sit back down in the other room and I rose and tended to the dryer. About five minutes had past since the creation of stickman and his empty balloon and I stood silent over a basket of folded clothes my heart still in turmoil as I asked for comfort and guidance.
After a moment I still ached for an answer to show that the path we’re on was correct. Then upon entering the kitchen I had to smile for I was given my clue. In bold print on the inside of the balloon were the words I love you!

To think that most of us believe we have to speak to share our hearts but our hearts are already known if we say nothing at all. So like the stickman who couldn’t speak to what words from his heart would you seek?

XXX SONSHINE

I hurry up a vaguely lit nature path ahead of the rising sun to a secluded spot over looking a mountain lake. I arrive at my destination ahead of the sun and I pull off my pack and settle down to await the rising sun. I reach into my pack and extract my brand new camera. I caress the smooth case loosening a smile upon the thought of capturing a few great photographs. As I sit with my back against the mountain and look down at the darkness below I could barely distinguish the lake’s calm waters. The crests of the facing mountains began to be backlit by streaks of reds and oranges from the inescapable approach of the morning sun as I wiggle jubilantly snapping a few photos of its beauty when high in the sky I spot a drifting balloon moving briskly towards the rising sun. I chuckle over the thought of a young child losing their balloon and of the parent trying to calm the child.
Been there and done that I exclaim out loud with a smile as I stare into the sky catching a glimpse of the balloon every now and then until I could no longer see it.

I glance back at the lake below still shrouded in darkness, and then, as I leaned back I spy yet another balloon drifting directly above my head. As the early sunlight shined on it I could discern different colors on it bringing me to believe that somebody’s party lost their decorations.
I snicker and look below to see darkness and as I rolled the camera around within my hands I closed my eyes and silently envisioned the opportunity to capture a few wonderful pictures. As my eyes were closed I felt the nudge of something beside me and I opened them to see a crudely decorated white balloon gently drifting back and forth as if a heartbeat within it pulsed bringing it to and fro. I quickly grasped the balloon and with humor I laughed at the childish writing adorning it. Forchune Baloon it read written in red surrounded by hand drawn stars of a variety of colors. I turned the balloon back and forth grinning from ear to ear and saw an open here tab on the side. I shake my head bewildered at the thought of opening a balloon like it was a fortune cookie.
Goofy kids I say before looking back down to a lake still hidden in darkness.

I never let the balloon go as I closed my eyes and wished for something good only to open my eyes to the exactly what I closed them to so I twisted the balloon over to the open here tab and stared at it for a moment before deciding that if it were a fortune balloon then there must be a fortune inside. I pulled the tab back and air hissed out sounding like Jesus; get you some followed by a smell of baby powder. My shoulders fell in disgust over my belief that the balloon really held a fortune of importance. I shook my head and said I should’ve known as I shoved the empty balloon into my pocket.

My eyes perused the morning sky before I looked down upon the lake for a view of magnificent beauty. I quickly pulled my camera up and began snapping photo’s of the lake’s calm waters just as the sun began filling the basin. Trout began to dimple the surface bringing forth an image of water filled with diamonds as shutter after shutter whirred. I smile with the moment when I hear a shrill cry bringing my attention to a Bald Eagle soaring above the water at my eye level. In shock I stir to life capturing every moment as the grand bird circled above the lake before plunging down to capture its breakfast and flying away. Jubilant over the National Geographic type photo’s I‘ve taken brought me to pull out the balloon and wonder about it’s origin when above me I spot yet another balloon drifting by. I repack my gear and with determination I venture forth up the mountain to find the source of the balloons.

I top the last ridge of the mountain to see an old man standing next to a large metal cylinder that looked like an oxygen tank used by welders only it had been painted white. As I edged in closer I watched the old man reach down and pull a balloon from a cardboard box and hoist it up to the nozzle of the tank and fill it up, tie it up, nod his head and release it into the sky. I step closer without him noticing as he was absorbed with his work and I noticed written in red on the side of the big white tank was XXX Sonshine.
I chuckle and ask “What you doing?”
“Filling balloons silly “he answers never looking over at me.
“Silly is the fact that you misspelled sunshine and fortune and balloons” I answer in humor.
“Outside matters not but rather what’s inside” he answers now looking over at me but unfazed by my critique.
“Oh really” I answer back interested with the whole show he’s putting on.
“Henry Ford built an automobile did he not” he asks and continues before I could reply “Of course he did but it doesn’t look the same now does it?”
“Why no it doesn’t” I ventured to say wondering what he was going to say next.
“Somebody came along added the bells and whistles leaving the fact that it is an automobile alone meaning no matter what the outside is, the inside is exactly what it’s meant to be” he replies as he fills another balloon.
“True that” I answer as I grab a balloon from his cardboard box and pull the one from my pocket and began comparing the two to each other.
He looks at me and grins “That one went over like a lead balloon and my guess would be seven pounds eight ounces” and nods before releasing the balloon he filled and asks “If you could fill a balloon, what would you fill it with?”
“Helium if I wanted it to rise and air from my lungs if not, why” I ask confused over the lead balloon comment all the while holding both balloons.
“Because you have a choice as to what you fill the balloons with” he answers.
“Do I’ I ask easing closer to the tank that held XXX Sonshine.
“We all do” he answers and watches as my hand holding the unused balloon make its way to the nozzle of the tank to fill.
He nods approvingly when I look at him before I began to turn the knob to begin filling the balloon.
“Whoa, Whoa not so full” he exclaims upon my filling of the balloon.
“Huh” I blurt bewildered.
“Too much makes the balloon selective by going way to high. Here, let a little bit out” he commands removing the balloon from my hand.
I step back totally confused by what he said, then when he says “Let’s ease the pressure little bit before we turn it loose” I felt amused by his antics of closing his eyes and inhaling the air so I laughed.
“Did you get any of that” he asked oblivious to my mockery of his actions.
“Nope not a thing did you?” I answer back.
“Mashed taters and the tinkle of fine china dishes” he replies as I watch a tear ease down his face before he nodded and continued “Dinner is served and I hope there’s some left for me” upon releasing the balloon.
In humor of the moment I laugh, look at my watch and said “Well old man, enjoy putting balloons afloat and have a wonderful day!”
His eyes followed my hand as I stuffed my used balloon back in my pocket and he replies “Thank you! I will as you!”
“Peace be with you old man” I say moments before I began my venture back to my car leaving the silliness behind.
“Always and forever” he answers to my back as I descended from his view.

I open my car door and pull out my camera ecstatic over the how full it is with wonderful pictures. I place the camera on the passenger seat threw the back pack in the backseat and pulled out the flaccid balloon and laid it on the dash as I sat down in the driver’s seat. I shook my head at the silliness of the old man when a puff of wind blew though lifting the balloon to fall on the floorboard. I lean over to grab it and noticed my daughter’s bible lying beside it. I paused for a second as the words of the old man “It’s what’s inside” flickered in my mind. I grasped both her bible and balloon from the floorboard and I noticed on the outside the words youth New Testament bible along with pictures of flowers of various colorations. I looked at the balloon and then back at the child’s bible, opened it and there at the bottom of that mountain my life changed.

I went back to the mountain a week later to possibly share with the old man everything that recently transpired within my life after the balloon introduction and he was not to be found. Solemnly I stood in the very spot he released balloons and spoke.
Old man, I thank you for sharing what is meant to be shared. The day I met you I received the news that my wife was with a child and the following day I went to church with my family and that morning I accepted Jesus into my heart.”

Here I stood there on that mountain, humbled by the moment as I pull out his fortune balloon I continued to say, If the words were to ever reach you, let it come in a balloon from someone who wants to thank you!” releasing a written in red, white fortune balloon of my own that my daughter helped decorate.

i only have one thing to say Dale........Wow, you are really good. also you have inspired me to take up writing, althought i would struggle to do as good as you,(seeing Iam only 13 right now.) i agree with dorkelf, you HAVE found your voice in poetry. I would be interested in reading more of your work, so i say, please continue to post here, i love your work. =D

Hehehe TANX!!! Just ta share with you that my family is normal when I asked what we should filled the stickman's balloon with my youngest son bless his heart instantly wanted it filled with water so he could have it to throw at my daughter hehehe!!! P.s this is the place to tickle the ears ands eyes of those who want to help you grow!!!

Last edited:
i only have one thing to say Dale........Wow, you are really good. also you have inspired me to take up writing, althought i would struggle to do as good as you,(seeing Iam only 13 right now.) i agree with dorkelf, you HAVE found your voice in poetry. I would be interested in reading more of your work, so i say, please continue to post here, i love your work. =D

When Dale first starting posting here, I quickly recognized someone who just HAS to write. That is what a writer is. Motivation is really everything, robinhood - there is absolutely nothing that someone with motivation can not accomplish, with God's blessing.

Paul

Back