new doom 3 review

MaxX

I'm sorry but this is just a plain bad review.

"Stay far away from Doom III it has no value to it at all. I would highly recommend that anyone who professes themselves to be Christians, to NOT PLAY THIS GAME."

The point of reviewing is to explain what the game contains and then let the reader decide what to do, not tell them what they should or shouldn't do.

"You just wonder if these are things that id actually sat there for over five years creating you can really understand how much of an influence the satanic cult has been on that organization."

Your proof?

"My video card is a Geforce 4 ti4200 and the game runs perfect."

I'd like to know what graphics level you have. I have a 9600 pro and I had to turn the graphics down to low and it still lags during battles.

"The graphics were simply unheard of two years ago, but now they just don’t seem quite as impressive."

Compared to...?

"As a twenty-one year old I have to say I was freaked out, disturbed, and horrified by Doom III’s content."

Maybe you shouldn't have played the game. It didn't disturb or horrify me that much so far. I'm not going to pull the "maybe you're too sheltered" card, but still, if you can't handle the game you really shouldn't play it.

"I can’t imagine what a thirteen year old would feel like."

Considering the fact that it's rated mature, I'd say a 13-year-old shouldn't be playing it.

"The story is still the same story as the original Doom only retold."

Don't quote me on this but I think that's incorrect. The original doom took place on one of the moons of Mars, Doom3 is on Mars itself. So yea it's the same scenario, but from a different perspective. And I've found the story to be much better than id's average fair so far.

Overall I think the reviewer needed to be slightly more objective. I'm not going to say he should have been "fully" unbiased, since, after all, it is a christian site. But still...

yeah I don't think u shonld say
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"Stay far away from Doom III it has no value to it at all. I would highly recommend that anyone who professes themselves to be Christians, to NOT PLAY THIS GAME."
If u don't like it say u don't like it but don't say if your a christian don't play this game. If the game effects u that much maybe u should stop, playing games. U never know the snakes and ladders game might be to much for u too. Because the snake represents satan.
tounge.gif
Sorry I had too.

Sry I'm going to stop now, even though I could probobly go on for a few pages.

Dan Harrison is a reviewer, those are his opinions. If his opinions don't agree with yours on the game, then you might try Gamespot.com or IGN.com because they write reviews based soely on the game itself. Granted, Doom III is one heck of an accomplishment in the gaming industry, but for Christians, our faith and convictions will always examine something before we play/use/think/mess etc with it. There is no need at all for you to come here and say how much you disagree with his review, or how wrong he is. If you think he's wrong, then take it up with the founder of CCGR and things might happen, but there is no point in clogging up the forums with useless posts. I think this could be a really healthy debate, if it were to be started by people who are open minded and optimistic to the whole situation. If you can do that then by all means continue the discussion, but if you can't then head on over to Gamespot or IGN, because its a waste of time here.

--Murakumo

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murakumo @ Aug. 15 2004,3:11)]Dan Harrison is a reviewer, those are his opinions. If his opinions don't agree with yours on the game, then you might try Gamespot.com or IGN.com because they write reviews based soely on the game itself. Granted, Doom III is one heck of an accomplishment in the gaming industry, but for Christians, our faith and convictions will always examine something before we play/use/think/mess etc with it. There is no need at all for you to come here and say how much you disagree with his review, or how wrong he is. If you think he's wrong, then take it up with the founder of CCGR and things might happen, but there is no point in clogging up the forums with useless posts. I think this could be a really healthy debate, if it were to be started by people who are open minded and optimistic to the whole situation. If you can do that then by all means continue the discussion, but if you can't then head on over to Gamespot or IGN, because its a waste of time here.

--Murakumo
If there is something obviously FALSE (by accident or otherwise) in the review, then surely we can post here and say "By the way... this isn't quite true... The review is void if based on these 'facts'"

As far as I can see, the first post in this thread makes some very valid points. Some not so valid though... I'll go through them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The point of reviewing is to explain what the game contains and then let the reader decide what to do, not tell them what they should or shouldn't do.

No, the point of reviewing is to give your personal opinion on the game, and on this site, to say whether or not you think the game is Christian, and if you believe that it should be played by Christians. So the reviewer is correct here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"You just wonder if these are things that id actually sat there for over five years creating you can really understand how much of an influence the satanic cult has been on that organization."

Your proof?

I agree with the poster of the thread. Everything "Satanic" in Doom 3 so far has been, if anything, mocking Satanism... or stereotyping it. Nothing that actively endorses Satan in any way, shape, or form. As far as I can see, Id simply said

"Ok, they come from hell... to invoke them don't cult people need this, this, and this?" (Insert stereotype things, such as ritual sacrifices, candles, etc)
"Yeah, but to set the mood, let's add this" (ie curtains)
"Oooh and have spooky howling"

Stuff like that... does that make sense?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"My video card is a Geforce 4 ti4200 and the game runs perfect."

I'd like to know what graphics level you have. I have a 9600 pro and I had to turn the graphics down to low and it still lags during battles.

Poor show on the side of the reviewer
sad.gif
I have a 9800 Pro, and it lags. I even used a bunch of tweaks. Graphics and speed take more than just a good card. I need to upgrade my RAM. I'm thinking the guy either has a supercomputer, or has graphics super-low. He should have said his specs, and the detail level he played at.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"The graphics were simply unheard of two years ago, but now they just don’t seem quite as impressive."

Compared to...?

I'm on the side of the poster. Doom 3's graphics are state-of-the-art!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"As a twenty-one year old I have to say I was freaked out, disturbed, and horrified by Doom III’s content."

Maybe you shouldn't have played the game. It didn't disturb or horrify me that much so far. I'm not going to pull the "maybe you're too sheltered" card, but still, if you can't handle the game you really shouldn't play it.

It's, again, the reviewer's perogative. Idea for CCGR: Any chance of multiple reviews (2 max) if a large portion of people disagree with it? If the majority disagree, then it's not a good show of the views of the majority of Christians.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"I can’t imagine what a thirteen year old would feel like."

Considering the fact that it's rated mature, I'd say a 13-year-old shouldn't be playing it.

Damn straight. A thirteen year old should NOT be playing it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"The story is still the same story as the original Doom only retold."

Don't quote me on this but I think that's incorrect. The original doom took place on one of the moons of Mars, Doom3 is on Mars itself. So yea it's the same scenario, but from a different perspective. And I've found the story to be much better than id's average fair so far.

Um... the original Doom's story seemed like a thrown-in attempt for a reason to shoot stuff. It may be similar... but the Doom 3 story has FAR more depth (but, obviously, still a reason to shoot stuff... it's an FPS). I'm on the side of the poster.

Someone do me a favour, I will write a Riddick review when I finish the game, PLEASE look through the review and tell me what you think after I write it. This type of thing is good for the reviewer. They learn how to write a better review.

Doom could be played by a 13 year old. I know 10 year olds that play it and their fine. But I also know 21 year olds that are scared of the dark.
So if your scared of the dark don't play Doom3, unless u have a nightlight. Then its ok.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think this could be a really healthy debate, if it were to be started by people who are open minded and optimistic to the whole situation.

I think the reviewer should of been more open minded, it depends on the person. If the stuff in the game really effects him he shouldn't be playing. But most people know that its just a game. U play , and have fun.

The game is rated mature, so if u're ont mature enough to handle the story or images u shouldn't be playing it. I don't think maturity has anything to do with age.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is no need at all for you to come here and say how much you disagree with his review, or how wrong he is.

What are forums for.
smile.gif

I got a question, Doom 3 is made by Id yes? Quake also is made by Id yes? And Quake has satanic symbols, right? Are the makers/creators of Id anti-christian game-makers?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Corpfox @ Aug. 15 2004,4:51)]I got a question, Doom 3 is made by Id yes? Quake also is made by Id yes? And Quake has satanic symbols, right? Are the makers/creators of Id anti-christian game-makers?
rock.gif
More like we live in a "Christian" culture (note the speech marks) therefore "They come from hell" is a very easy excuse to shoot some demons.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mechboy @ Aug. 15 2004,4:38)]Doom could be played by a 13 year old. I know 10 year olds that play it and their fine. But I also know 21 year olds that are scared of the dark.
No... no it can't.

I don't know how it works in America, but in England it's classed by the BBFC as an 18. Therefore ILLEGAL to supply to under 18's.

Illegal to sell to, but not illegal to play by.

After all, a 13 year old can get into a Rated R movie...he just has to be accompanied by an adult.

Same thing goes with purchasing a game.

I'm in canada and its like smoking u have to be an adult to buy it but its fine if kids play it.
But they sell it to anyone that wants it, I don't think many stores ask for ID. I know they Id'd me for CS, but never for any of the other games.
I think kids can buy it during the christmas season since they have new seasonal staff. But I know at Toys R us they Id u. But I've sold games to kids with their parents, that were mature. Its up to the parents.

Hey in England are they strict on music with the parental advisory sticker.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mechboy @ Aug. 15 2004,9:06)]I'm in canada and its like smoking u have to be an adult to buy it but its fine if kids play it.
But they sell it to anyone that wants it, I don't think many stores ask for ID. I know they Id'd me for CS, but never for any of the other games.
I think kids can buy it during the christmas season since they have new seasonal staff. But I know at Toys R us they Id u. But I've sold games to kids with their parents, that were mature. Its up to the parents.

Well then you can blame the parents and the stores.  Id didn't make this game for kids!  You can be assured that 18 (or R) rated movies aren't made FOR kids!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey in England are they strict on music with the parental advisory sticker.

I don't know... I haven't bought music with that sticker... I rarely buy music.   I have about 3 or 4 CDs... and they're most of what I listen to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mechboy @ Aug. 16 2004,6:29)]well CS is a mature game.

Count how many kids are playing it.
CS (CounterStrike) is NOT a mature game. Why? Because of your reasoning, look at how many kids are playing it.

I STOPPED playing CS because of the number of prepubescent dorks playing the game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Aug. 16 2004,8:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mechboy @ Aug. 16 2004,6:29)]well CS is a mature game.

Count how many kids are playing it.
CS (CounterStrike) is NOT a mature game.  Why?  Because of your reasoning, look at how many kids are playing it.

I STOPPED playing CS because of the number of prepubescent dorks playing the game.
Incorrect.

CS IS a mature game, due to the images portrayed within.

The CS community, on the other hand, is NOT mature. They are mostly "OMG1337" kiddies.

I think in North America we probobly censor stuff to the extream. Especially after the super bowl. Its like we have taken 5 steps back. In europe they have nudity in everyday mags and its normal. And they don't take it as sexual as us in north americe would. I think because we don't see images like that on an everyday bacis we look at it in a negative way.
Thats y I think that most R rated movies arn't really that bad. The same with games, CS is rated mature.
Should it have that rating? Probobly not.

U see worst images than CS on the news.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murakumo @ Aug. 15 2004,4:11)]Dan Harrison is a reviewer, those are his opinions. If his opinions don't agree with yours on the game, then you might try Gamespot.com or IGN.com because they write reviews based soely on the game itself. Granted, Doom III is one heck of an accomplishment in the gaming industry, but for Christians, our faith and convictions will always examine something before we play/use/think/mess etc with it. There is no need at all for you to come here and say how much you disagree with his review, or how wrong he is. If you think he's wrong, then take it up with the founder of CCGR and things might happen, but there is no point in clogging up the forums with useless posts. I think this could be a really healthy debate, if it were to be started by people who are open minded and optimistic to the whole situation. If you can do that then by all means continue the discussion, but if you can't then head on over to Gamespot or IGN, because its a waste of time here.

--Murakumo
Excuse me, but before you jump on the board telling me what I should say and what I shouldn't, you might want to consider that I have a little something called freedom of speech. It's how I express my opinions on a subject, such as this review. I didn't post to attack this person, I'm sure what he said in the review was what he sincerely believed. I am expressing my views on it and I would like to hear other people's. FYI, I have brought this up with ccgr.

Now, I understand this is his opinion. However, I'm saying I don't agree with his opinion, and I think he did a somewhat lousy review, considering not all his facts were straight, he contradicted himself, etc.. If he wants to update it with a better version more power to him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RossMills @ Aug. 15 2004,5:06)]No, the point of reviewing is to give your personal opinion on the game, and on this site, to say whether or not you think the game is Christian, and if you believe that it should be played by Christians. So the reviewer is correct here.
Maybe I worded it wrong. I don't mean the reviewer shouldn't express his opinion. Anything you say is an opinion in a way, even statements like "the sun is yellow".

I'm just upset when people tend to flame or gush. From the way the reviewer spoke it sounded like when he bought doom3 he really wanted to blast it. And that's fine. I understand how he can so vehemently hate doom3. The main thing that irritated me though was him saying that one shouldn't get doom3 if they consider themselves christian. It's right up there with "rock is evil". Your opinion of course, but remember it represents everyone else on ccgr, including me.

I like the idea of a second review from a different approach. Maybe we should start doing this with all major/contraversial games.

Back