Microsoft loves console gamers

@legitnoob, taking the time and energy to write in a more proper fashion--nixing the text speak spelling and grammar--really does go a long way to improve clarity and credibility in posts. It can be a bit more time consuming, especially if posting without a standard keyboard, but it'll be worth it.

This.

nice videos. I am SUPER excited for the new xbox.

Wave "hi" to Microsoft for me... or, rather, wave "farewell" for me rofl.

Last edited:
Wave "hi" to Microsoft for me... or, rather, wave "farewell" for me rofl.

With an always on camera watching you from the new Xbox 1 that's actually easier to do than you'd think... (except in Germany which has already complained about privacy issues and requested a response from Microsoft about it)

That is silly talk, the new kinect has a power button and parental/privacy settings, there is no privacy concern.

I don't need to tell anyone anything. The product is not out yet. We have no idea about the final build. We do know that MS has stated it will be able to power off as well as tweak privacy settings. Sounds good to me. Not sure why you are all such haters in this thread.

Well, visual DRM is basically set in stone. For instance, they'll need to ensure you aren't letting more than the maximum amount of people watch a movie - so they'll have to watch you the whole time.

Kinect may not be on when the system is off, or on standby, but it's a grey area and Microsoft has not explicitly said "No" to any "will you be watching us" questions.

Do you have any proof about the Visual DRM? I have only heard otherwise.
Also Microsoft has said previously that it takes privacy on the Xbox One seriously, with Phil Harrison stating, "We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that."

Do you have any proof about the Visual DRM? I have only heard otherwise.
Also Microsoft has said previously that it takes privacy on the Xbox One seriously, with Phil Harrison stating, "We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that."

Here is the patent paperwork for Visual DRM via Kinect.

U.S. Patent Office - Microsoft Visual DRM said:
A content presentation system and method allowing content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content. Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content. The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.

I think that clears this up quite nicely.

As far as Microsoft monitoring you ... allow me to pick apart that quote you have. "...but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that."

Said another way - we don't transmit data that could be personally identifiable to you unless you let us (I paraphrased and chopped out the extra words).

Did you notice how Mr. Harrison said could instead of would? Those words are similar yet mean different things. "Could" insinuates that the data they will disperse about you has the possibility to be traced back to you. On the other hand, the word "would" means either yes or no, depending on the context. In this context, "would" means no, or not be identifiable to you - but he didn't say that. Obviously if they are tracking how you respond to ads, of course the data regarding your behavior will be traced back to you. If they couldn't trace it back to you then they won't be able to tailor ads to your preferences, and they would thus would make less money.

What Mr. Harrison said makes no sense.

Microsoft will transmit data from your house, about you, via Kinect. End of story.

Last edited:
This patent from 2 years ago may or may not apply to the kinect that will ship with xbox one, we don't know this as definitively as you seem to make it. If it does, I will not opt in and nothing I care about will be shipped out of my home. Really could care less as long as they give me the options they have promised. (A way to turn it off and privacy settings to tweak as I desire.) Google owns WAY more data on me then my new Xbox one will ever have, according to what we have been told so far.

Last edited:
This patent from 2 years ago may or may not apply to the kinect that will ship with xbox one, we don't know this as definitively as you seem to make it. If it does, I will not opt in and nothing I care about will be shipped out of my home. Really could care less as long as they give me the options they have promised. (A way to turn it off and privacy settings to tweak as I desire.) Google owns WAY more data on me then my new Xbox one will ever have, according to what we have been told so far.

You ask for links to patents, we give you links to patents, then your response is "well okay, but I don't care."

If you don't care that Microsoft is gathering personal data about you, that's your choice. I, and many others, however would prefer not to have that happening. You don't understand all the "hate" towards Microsoft's new way of doing things, yet when you're presented with "real" examples your response is "but..." "I don't care".

I don't see how patents to collect more non-identifiable data is anything new. Doesn't every software ask if you want to submit your non-identifiable data and you can not check the box?

Also my response is not , OK, my response is that you can't prove that patent has to do with the new Xbox.

I care about personal data but MS said in that quote that it won't be gathered unless I opt in. Until I have actual proof that they are including something other then they are plainly telling us in the Xbox, I am not going to jump to hasty conclusions.

Is your only "real" example a patent application from 2 years ago that we don't know has anything to do with Xbox one?

Last edited:
Now y'all let's not get militant. :p

I don't know what else that patent would be applied to. My guess is Xbox One.

Last edited:
Back