Microsoft loves console gamers

They have designed the system to support used games. Could be great, hard to know since we don't have details. Too bad people are jumping to conclusions and naysaying before we even know.

It supports used games AFTER you pay them a fee. Pay Gamestop for the disc then pay Microsoft to play the game. Not sure what you mean by jumping to conclusions because this has been confirmed by Microsoft. Of course it's not backwards compatible with any old games so the used game market will take a while to develop but it does support 2nd hand games.

Well first of all we don't know what the cost is. It could be $.25 for all we know. 2nd you get to install the game and then you can pass the disk to a friend. This is much different then once you sell the game to Gamestop you never get to play it again. Also the system is being designed to support used game so they may have some very neat new concepts for this that will save you tons of money rather then the $5 markdown for a used copy at gamestop. They have given very little details yet but the internet seems to be making this the only talking point and claiming the fall of xbox because of it.

Last edited:
I was going to say... this system also supports me buying a game and them flipping it to Gamestop as cred towards a new game.

Actually, this move is 100% intended to kill Gamestop. You heard it here (first? probably not.)

You install the game on the hard drive and no longer need the disk to play it but as soon as someone else installs it and try's to activate it (by paying a fee to Microsoft) it removes the first copy. Only one copy can be active at a time. This is the official word from Microsoft but I'm too lazy to look back thru my history to find it.

Well first of all we don't know what the cost is. It could be $.25 for all we know.

The update suggests it will be far from a measly $0.25 - "...may incur the same fee as brand new purchase."

I know, right? Microsoft is terrible and I love how Valve lets me resell my used Steam collection! Oh, wait...

That's a very good point. I remember at the time when the Steam download client came out and PC gamers were raging because it eliminated hard copies of the games they wanted and would harm the used-game industry. Just look at Steam now... (Also did you know that you cannot get a refund for a game you don't like if you purchased it over Steam? I ain't lyin'.)

I know I don't like this. You won't be able to install the game, sell it to a friend for the pre-owned install price and play it with them, because it will be deactivated in your Live account. Obviously Microsoft is trying to get as much cash from gamers as they possibly can. If you want a game, you will have to give Microsoft money for something - whether it's for a new purchase, or the rights to access a used copy of a game.

What I don't know is how it will benefit them. If this works like Steam, and people treat it like Steam, people will wait for sales of the games they want and spend less then... instead of buying it off a friend and paying what could possibly be a higher fee. Or they could just buy the game new.

I agree with Neirai - they want Gamestop's money.

Edit: If you think about it, this is the exact opposite of piracy. You buy game, you install it, you play it. You sell game, they install it, you lose the game you bought. I'm not insinuating that this is good or bad, just something to think about.

Last edited:
This could ruin Gamestop, they are making their own system to sell your used games via Xbox Live. If it is super convenient and the price is right, why would you ever go to GS again?

Microsoft is just being greedy.

What I really don't like - and this is related to other areas of gaming - is how this takes away the power you have over the product you bought. I believe that after you purchase something, that item is yours and (within reason) you should be able to manipulate that item as you see fit. By charging to reactivate one copy of a game on another console, Microsoft is the entity that has ultimate control and not the person who shelled out $60 for the copy of the game.

And just to point out - I sort of share the same feelings about Steam games. Steam charges you for the right to access games - you never actually own anything (you don't get install files from them, you just download the games themselves). But Steam has crazy good deals that make some games worth that trade-off, I can't see Microsoft doing the same thing.

Odale, can you find me a quote where Microsoft says that installing a game on a second Xbox account will nuke it on the first?

Simply because I have to run to work all day and I missed that point (in fact I thought it worked the other way around,) and if that is indeed true, it changes things entirely.

Odale, can you find me a quote where Microsoft says that installing a game on a second Xbox account will nuke it on the first?

Simply because I have to run to work all day and I missed that point (in fact I thought it worked the other way around,) and if that is indeed true, it changes things entirely.

Its in the article the OP linked. It's been updated a few times, so you probably missed it.

computerandvideogames.com said:
Update: Jon Hicks, the editor of Official Xbox magazine, has claimed that pre-owned games will be un-installed from the previous owner's system and installed onto another's.

Last edited:
Well, in my humble opinion, the whole event yesterday was a complete disaster. It was boring. I was wondering whether the Xbox One would play games throughout most of it.

The presenters were all uninspiring. They were all trying to be Steve Jobs cool, and none of them pulled it off.

People are trying to say that they released the social and tv aspects first because they have E3 for gaming aspects. I am going to have to refuse to believe that microsoft would be stupid enough to not realize that this was only going to cause a lot of trouble among gamers. When you announce something like this, unless you have something groundbreaking and incredible, you usually try and please the largest audience first to get their support. None of us gamers really care about skype in the living room (as a deal breaker). I really don't care about searching bing on my game console while i'm watching TV ON MY GAME CONSOLE.

The most exciting part of the event for me was when they announced the Spielberg backed Halo tv show. Thats a problem.

Don't even get me started on the Call of Duty dog.

Last edited:
When you announce something like this, unless you have something groundbreaking and incredible, you usually try and please the largest audience first to get their support. None of us gamers really care about skype in the living room (as a deal breaker).

You're assuming gamers are the target/largest audience? Everything here shows me they're going for the casual gamer crowd. While gamers may feel cheated, reality is that they have a larger audience in the casual crowd than hardcore crowd. They will make more money from micro purchases of the casual gamers than big purchases of the hardcore gamers.

They should have spent the ENTIRE time talking about that projector thing that makes my whole wall the video game. THAT IS AWESOME!

Back