Healing ...

mrpopdrinker, I respect your beliefs and your POV; This is meant for the sole purpose of challenging you to look even deeper. Oh, and FTR, I do believe in divine healing as well! But physical healing does not happen in order to facilitate our own desires. Here are some thoughts I was writing down last night on the subject. I know I have a tendency to get long winded at subjects I'm passionate about, and this is definitely no exception ;)

Point to ponder:  We know that God loves us and takes care of our every need. *Need* being the operative word here. What *we* may consider a need and what *God* considers a need are often completely different!
biggrin.gif
 How is it then, that we place such importance on our physical state, when we serve an infinite, eternal God? Doesn’t it stand to reason then, that He would be much more concerned about our spiritual state than or physical? Shouldn’t we then?  Our physical existence is but an immeasurable speck considered to our eternity.  With complete respect, our physical state is quite irrelevant compared to eternity!  I maintain that physical health is not a *need* in order to serve God, be a witness and harvest souls for the Kingdom.  Additionally, Healing may occur in forms other than just physical, pop. God may heal that person’s wounded soul, may heal their mind, and may heal relationships; the things that carry far more importance than physical healing.

Remember, Judaism was/is very ‘sign’ oriented. They needed signs for everything. Jesus gave them signs, so that they might believe. How much of a 'sign' is it, when someone someone is thanking Jesus for their current condition (Job for example) amidst unimaginable calamity? Pretty impressive sign for those around him I'm sure!

I can tell you, I’ve seen godly people, on their death bed, dying of cancer, even of aids (not sinfully contracted either), in vast amounts of pain, praising and thanking God; and the doctors and nurses, relatives etc, acknowledging that God was at work in their midst.  No one can say that this was not God’s divine plan for their lives. Physical healing was not God’s highest in these cases.

Food for Thought: Sometimes, a physical ailment may be the only way to keep a person consistently depending on God for all their needs!

I would respectfully draw your attention to a couple of key points which are integral in our lives as followers of Christ.  
1) God's Divine Authority (or, God's in control not us, and he has the last word)
2) The suffering of Christ, and how it applies to us. (Or, we must take up our cross and follow Him)

Divine Authority (one point of..)
As followers of Christ, we must recognize that ultimately, Jesus is the one who has the authority to determine our path, our fate, and our life's outcome. I am NOT talking about our free will (et al) here.  If you are a follower, then Jesus is the one at the helm of your life, not you.  "The steps of a good man (follower of Christ) are ordered by the Lord"

There are certain elements that are what I would call 'absolutes' (you could also call them 'laws') in our lives as humans. The big ones are:
a) The Fallibility of man,
b) The Frailty of man and
c) The Finiteness of man.

Meaning: we make mistakes, we're weak (both in flesh and will),  and our physical existence has a beginning and an end!  God is the one that determines the moment and cause of our death, not us. Where does faith come into play here?  Well, our faith cannot operate outside of or above God's authority or His will.

Enter; The Suffering With Christ.
This is one extremely important attribute of Christ that many believers like to overlook.  It’s far to uncomfortable to acknowledge because, to acknowledge it, means we’re accountable for what we know.  

So many think that we should not experience any hardship, sickness or pain, or even inconveniences in life; we should always be healthy, always prosper, and always get what we want. If not, there must be something wrong with us, or we're not living a victorious Christian life.  Consequently, it’s implied that poverty, sickness, hardship, pain and inconveniences must then be of the devil. This is complete rubbish. It's because much is taken out of context. If we are to emulate Christ should we not be willing, are we not even called to be partakers in his suffering as well? Take up *our* cross and follow him?  You bet.

Heb 5:8 - Though he [Jesus] were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered.

So what about our part now?

1Pe 2:19  For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.

Rom 8:17  And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2Ti 2:12  If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Heb 13:3  Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.

Look at so many of the characters in scripture and you see it as a consistent element in Christendom:
Job: poor guy was as Godly as they come, yet he went through hell and high water. Why? God *chose* to give him more than he ever had, but that was for God’s glory as well! Think of all the others who didn’t…

Stephen: One of the *many* martyrs for Christ. (Consequently, many of the disciples died of martyrdom.)

Paul: He had an ailment his whole life...one which he loathed…a cross he had to bear...why didn't he get healed? I'm sure he had plenty of faith to believe God could heal him.

My point is, we *don't* know all the answers. All we know is, God wants to be glorified through it somehow. We don't have to understand it, we just have to have faith to believe it. To have the faith to believe that God’s will *is* being done regardless of the circumstances, transcends any amount of faith it takes to believe for healing and just accept that you’re not doing something right, or you don’t have *enough* faith when someone isn’t physically healed.

On Preview: Amen pop, "Demons and devils tremble at the name and authority of Jesus!!!" However, when it relates to physical sickness, it's usually a very specific demon, which you said yourself; it's the spirit of infirmity! (which has a definite physical manifestation according to Luke.)

Luk 13:11  And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.    

Other sicknesses are *usually* the result of the human condition pop; Our *frailty* if you will, which of course is a result of the fall of man, allowing sickness and death into the world.  Demons and devils, as a rule do not cause physical ailments, they cause spiritual ones
Regardless, we have dominion over them through Christ, you're right!

Whatever the case, keep studying the Word, pressing in to God dude!  None of us have all the answers, and we’re all in this together, to share, grow, and learn.  
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mrpopdrinker @ Sep. 11 2003,8:14)]her jaw would have straigtend and everything else would return to normal healthy status just think of how much greater her testamony would be then!

There is absolutely no way of predicting which is the greater testimony.  Jesus healed 10 (?) blind men, but only one proclaimed the healing.  No doubt the woman probably would have given God glory and maybe people would have been utterly amazed...some may have come to Christ.  But only God can determine which is best.

Perhaps only one person accepts Christ through someone's life.  But that one life turns around saves thousands.  We just can't say which is better based on number of lives coming to Christ.  God has the whole picture.  We do not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Demons and devils, as a rule do not cause physical ailments
God does not make us sick so yes it has to be certain devils and demons or as earlier said the spirit of infirmity. SSquared after the fact of seeing how happy and of good cheer that she was would have been when I stated it would be good for her to be healed after seeing how good in faith she was and then being healed she would not have to be in the confines of just a hospital her testamony could have helped many in the hospital and many others around the world. Ill adress more of what you said later enigma im tired right now and my eyes burn to read that much.

mrpopdrinker, if you believe that you have the ability to heal people, cast out demons, etc... by praying to God for this to be done, then why don't you go around doing this? You will be able to convince all the people who lack faith that God really does exist by showing them what you have been able to do in his name. You will be serving the Lord by spreading His word to the entire world.

SSquared, 10 lepers, but yeah, one guy alone came back and Christ even commented on how uber-cool that was.

WHY would God not make us sick? Why not? That's my question. It's certainly not outside of his power to afflict anyone with anything, good or bad. After all, it's not like he's a God of Grandpa Present Bestowment. He's a God of Justice. And this God does what he chooses to do. If it's to strike us with blindness or to dumb our hearing, we'll never know. Sometimes you can feel when it's caused by something evil or something good. And since there is only One good, and that One is God...well, you can be sure it wasn't by an angel or anything like that. You can almost feel evil when it is near you. Not like some tangible, edible substance, but it's a presence. And it's frightening. But God...I dunno. I think I feel God at times, but it's a bizarre feeling. I kinda like it, kinda don't. I don't know why.

We can not adamantly claim that because sicknesses hurt us, God cannot cause it, because we cannot know until the end.

Grand Master... well, it may not work that way. When someone goes around teaching and preaching and healing the sick, not everyone believes...

John 10
24The Jews gathered around him, saying, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ,[1] tell us plainly."
25Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, 26but you do not believe because you are not my sheep.

Even people didn't believe that Jesus was the Son of God back then while he was turning water into wine and such-like.

John 15
23He who hates me hates my Father as well. 24If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: 'They hated me without reason.'[1]

They saw... they did not believe.
The Jews in John 10 wanted to Stone Jesus for blasphemy...
Some people today would still say ..."Bah!" in disbelief.

First off grand master I dident say I had the ability to heal people I said God gives us that authority. Ultima God cannot make us sick because he is Holy and is not a source of evil (although he can judge but hes not my cource of illness i am coverd by the redemptive blood of his son) so what he does to my knowlege is allow Satan to do certain things. As far as picking up our cross that meens getting out of our comfort zone and following christ helping people that we may not like or risking or lives in places like china to bring people to the lord. You said you have seen people on there death bed dying of cancer and other things the key word there is dying they are alive so they can be healed if not then and i hate for this to sound bad but its because they dont have faith god will do it, You said they where praising and thanking god what for, if they where thanking him for there condition god wants us to be happy so he would have let them keep it.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Meaning: we make mistakes, we're weak (both in flesh and will),  and our physical existence has a beginning and an end!
Yup right now the human lifespan is about 70 years but i think our days on the earth are supposed to be 120. I will end this post with this thought dont think god for your condition thank him in your condition. ~edit time~ It's not that I am preoccupied with my body which i think somone said its that i want to be in good health so I can do god's will for my life and go do what he command's.

70 years is what we're limited to. God made it 120 at one point in time, but then cut that down to 70. Note, not everyone drops off at 70. Some approximately around there. Others live longer. Others before. Does that negate God? Nope...I can't explain it. Not yet, though.

there were people that lived 600-900 years in OT times..I thought God chopped it down to 120..where are we getting 70 from?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ultima Avatar @ Sep. 13 2003,11:32)]70 years is what we're limited to. God made it 120 at one point in time, but then cut that down to 70. Note, not everyone drops off at 70. Some approximately around there. Others live longer. Others before. Does that negate God? Nope...I can't explain it. Not yet, though.
When did i say that negated god? I guess it is just 70 but i thought it was still 120 an we are dying off earlier because of bad choices cigerets. booze etc.

mrpopdrinker, I understood what you were saying. What I am asking you is, why are you not going around healing people in God's name? You claim that you can ask him to do this and He will comply.

mpty, it doesn't matter if not *everyone* will believe. Most will. I know if I was healed or if I saw someone I knew be healed, I would certainly believe.

By the way, there have been some people who have lived beyond 120 years.

Question:
----------------------------------------------------------------

Do any of you buy into the 'faith healing' as Mr. Pop seems to? Such as on television shows.

Also, are you all familiar with the placebo effect?

I tend o avoid churches that promise healing and say that if you're not healed it's due to lack of faith. I do believe God can heal but only if it's his will. I tend to pray for people instead of making promises to heal.

I'd be just as skeptical as you on this one Medjai.

Placebo effect? I know what placebos are and how they are used in experiments but regarding healing...I know there are fakes out there if you are referring to that.

I'm not into the faith healing movement or name it and claim it preachers.

What about Exorcisims, I've never heard of or seen one done other than in the movies. Do you consider that to fall under the category of faith healing?

well Christianc can't be possessed and in the name of Jesus demons can be cast out...I have yet to see this sort of instance first hand, I'm sure they exist but are very rare

CCGR, you just gained a little of my respect. Those who actually buy into 'faith healing' scare me.

Well grand master the reason I dont go around doing this is because I dont believe in faith healing ministries (such as benny hinn) nor do i have the ability to go around place to place and i am still growing much in my walk with god (not that i am saying you get to a place where you dont grow) and i havent been to any form of seminary school. The reason you have never seen an exorcism first hand is probably because you dident know anyone that was possesed and if you did did you cast it out? One thing I want to make clear is I never said you could ask him and he would comply somtimes he says wait for various reasons I have said that many times. As far as people that are not saved being healed I beleive that is up to God we arein a covenent they are not. I am not saying thank god and say let me recieve my healing and poof it happens it may take awhile before that person is healed but it will happen if they keep faith keep thanking God for what he has done and keep asking for him to send the healing and persevere in faith.

Medjai you're about to gain a little for me, too, then.
I don't buy into faith healing. I got to check into a lot of it, and most of all faith healing crap (not all) are fakes. Big time started with Peter Popov (The Amazing Randi exposed him on The Tonight Show if you remember that).

BUt I gotta head out. So ciao.

I am literally saddened when people buy into that Benny Hinn type thing. I don't think that a God belief (as long as it doesn't mess up other people's lives) is a bad thing necessarily but when people expose it in that way to make money and they get away with it I am sickened.

I seriously think these people deserve to rot in jail for playing off of other people's emotions and beliefs to make money. People who really have sick children get their hopes up, call these 'ministries' (and I won't even compare these to your guys' ministries) and get rejected. They reject people with legitimately sick family members because 'It is not God's will' a.k.a. 'They are a scam and can't 'heal' actual sick people'.

Although the fainting is real (this has been tested), it is entirely a result of the placebo effect. The flashing lights, loud music, tons of people chanting, it messes with your head.

Well, I want you all to know that I don't compare you with what I like to call 'Televangelists'.

I totaly belive in healing. I mean when peter and james were walking to the temple and saw a cripplle asking for alms. and Peter said to him what i have i will give you, In the name of Jesus Christ rise and walk (Paraphrased). and the man got up an walked. Paul brought a young boy back from death in the name of Jesus. There have been false healers in the past, and Jesus even said that their would be false prophets. But you better be very sure that someone is false before you say that they are cause if you are wrong and it is genuine then it is the holy spirit that you are calling false.

as for exorsisms. there is a war rageing in the spiritual relam between angels and deamons, and they are fighting for possesion of our souls. the devil knows he is beaten, he just wants to take as many of us with him as he can.

I belive in healing, and the power to drive out evil spirits and deamons. for these are listed in the bible as some of the gifts of the spirit.

Take care and God BLess
Rand NobleBlade
Paladin

Back