GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge! (Book Of Proverbs)

Proverbs 17:1
"Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife."

No amount of material substance is worth the price of living in a house of constant tension and arguing.

Proverbs 17:6 said:
6. Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.

How many kids take pride in their parents? I am learning to more and more each day. Instead of thinking of them as uncool or out of touch, I am chanign my thought process about them. :)

Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding
but delights in airing his own opinions.

I kept thinking about those who like to hear themselves talk. And they talk and they talk and they talk and they talk. I wonder how much more I need to listen rather than talk.... hmmmm

I actually have two verses this time because they both go together.

Proverbs 18:7
"A fool's mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul."

Proverbs 18:20
"A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth: and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled."

Actions follow words in most cases. We don't often do things without having told someone else of our intentions beforehand, and sometimes we even do things that we may have decided we shouldn't do but since we already told someone else about it we are compelled by either pride or duty to follow through. As a consequence, we can better guide our actions by first guiding our words and making every effort to speak constructively rather than destructively.

Proverbs 18:13 said:
13. He who answers before listening-- that is his folly and his shame.

THis one made me say ouch. I have a bad habit of trying to guess what someone else is going to say instead of actually listening... Yeah, ouch.

Proverbs 19:19
"A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment: for if thou deliver him, yet thou must do it again.

There are some people you can't protect from the consequences of their bad attitude.

Proverbs 19:14 said:
14. Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the Lord.

Houses, knowledge of how to navigate this life, wisdom can be inherited from ones parents. How often children forget that!

A prudent wife... I have to pray for mine daily, I haven't met her yet as far as I know, but I hope and pray she is out there somewhere.

19 A hot-tempered man must pay the penalty; if you rescue him, you will have to do it again.

I am very guilty of this (the rescuing part). I hate it when something if left undone and I usually will do it so that it is done and then the person who was supposed to do it doesn't do it again and it is a vicious cycle.

Proverbs 20:11 Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right.

and are we not all children of God?

Proverbs 20:22 Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!" Wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.

Birthday cake from this summer

Cross posted on the Verse of the Day Forum

Proverbs 20:11 said:
11. Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right.

Last night my mom and I were discussing reputations and the like. The warehouse where I currently work did not have the greatest of reputations before I took over almost 15 months ago. Now people turn to me first for what they need. However when i describe it, I describe the warehouse as having the reputation, not as me. However my mom was quick to point out that it is my reputation attached to the warehouse that made people want to come to me first, not the warehouse itself.

Kids always have a reputation growing up. Some are bullies, some are said to become nerds later on, some are cry babies... The list could go on. (I was known as the "Gentle Giant" ) Our reputations mean a lot, we need to make sure that the younger generations realize just how important a reputation is. Being named "Most likely to party" is not a legacy I want, how about you?

Last edited:
Proverbs 20:4
"The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing."

We don't really have the luxury of waiting for optimal conditions before doing what needs to be done.

Proverbs 21:23
"Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles."

Oftentimes just watching our words is what is most needed to overcome potentially bad situations.

Proverbs 21:5 said:
5. The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.

Planning ahead will lead to good things. Whether material wealth, the completion of a project without issue, even having your thoughts in order before giving a speech or takign a test. Proper and good planning will win out in the end. :D

Proverbs 22:7
"The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender."

Be very careful about going into debt of any kind. Even if it's for a good reason you may still come to regret it. Many people use credit to help ease a temporary suffering only to acquire a worse and more permanent one later on because of it.

Proverbs 23:9
"Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words."

There is no point trying to convey wisdom to one who has no respect for it. Remember that the fear of the Lord has to come first in a person before wisdom will be of any use to them.

Proverbs 22: 24 Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered, 25 or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared.

How much easier is it to learn his ways instead of following HIS ways

Back