GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge! (Book Of Proverbs)

Proverbs 11:1

"A false balance is abomination to the Lord: but a just weight is his delight."

This can apply to not cheating people in commerce, but a greater application is in the judgements we make towards others. Don't require other people to live up to standards you don't require of yourself.

2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes Wisdom.

I probably should have read this chapter before I looked at pictures of 9/11/01. How often does pride bring a downfall? I know it is when I am filled with Pride, shortly thereafter, something comes along to get me back on track.

I also wonder if America's pride contributed to the 9/11 attacks?

Proverbs 11:25 said:
25. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. That is a promise. :) Who needs some refreshment today?

Proverbs 12:1 said:
1. Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.

This is one of my favorite verses in all of Proverbs. Especially in the NIV translation. :D
Just the thought of dignified Solomon adjusting his robes and then penning "He who hates correction is stupid" Makes me laugh every time. :D

Proverbs 12:11 He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who chases fantasies lacks judgment.

I love this verse and think about it when I working at a task that I do not enjoy, but needs to get done. Especially, the reward of seeing a job well done

I could have quoted the whole chapter this morning

Proverbs13:18 If you ignore criticism, you will end in poverty and disgrace, if you accept correction, you will be honored.

the secret though, is that you need to apply the correction, not just accept it.

Proverbs 13:3 said:
3. He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.

Think before you speak. Your tongue and what you say will affect things around you. Speaking rashly may end relationships. Guard your lips. Be careful what language you allow to pass from them.

Proverbs 12:5
"The thoughts of the righteous are right: but the counsels of the wicked are deceit."

It is good to seek the counsel of others, but you also have to carefully consider the character of those you want to ask it from.

Proverbs 13:10
"Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom."

If pride can be eliminated, contention will cease.

Proverbs 14:21
"He that despiseth his neighbor sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he."

Lack of compassion is a sin, but the exercise of it honors the Lord.

Proverbs 14:10 said:
10. Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy.

People don't know 100% what someone else is going through. We can relate to one another when bad things happen, however we cannot fully grasp what it means for any particular person except ourselves because we are the only ones who know our own hearts in this physical realm. (God always knows out heart) So next time someone says "You don't know what I am going through!" Take this verse to heart, while we empathize with someone, our job is to Show them God's love, not to try and give them platitudes.

Last edited:
WOW Eskimo, that is sooo how I'm feeling lately. I have been reading a bit ahead because I have not been able to stop at one chapter.....good thing I believe. I love coming back and seeing what everyone is posting. I hope you choose to keep this going. Perhaps Ecclesiastes next???? What ever is chosen I hope it is chosen soon so we can keep this moving forward.

Blessings and Hugs, "Angel"

Proverbs 15:8
"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination unto the Lord: but the prayer of the upright is his delight."

Whatever you might think to give or do for God will not gain you any favor unless you are already right in your heart with Him first, and if you are right in heart then He will delight in you whether you have anything to give or not.

I hope you choose to keep this going. Perhaps Ecclesiastes next???? What ever is chosen I hope it is chosen soon so we can keep this moving forward.

After this I should probably go back to focusing more on the Teachings of Jesus postings in Lydia's since I started those first and being pressed for time these days I'm not always being successful at doing both with the appropriate thoughtfulness each deserves. If no one objects to it, though, I'd be happy to cross-post those verses here.

Proverbs 14:23 All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

I think I am going to have this one tattooed to my forehead. This is something that I have always believed, walk before you talk

I Think we ought to start over again at Proverbs Chapter 1. Each of us will take something different from each chapter based on where we are in our lives.

Proverbs 15:29 The LORD is far from the wicked but he hears the prayer of the righteous.

I thought of all of the Birthday cakes this summer. I love birthday cake and with all of the yucky things that happened this summer, God gave me birthday cakes all July and August which lifted my spirits so much

I agree Gen. I was planning on starting over anyway. Just start a new thread and maybe get some more people involved.

That is one thing I love about the Bible, you can read the same verses over and over and glean new meanings from it constantly.

Proverbs 15:1 said:
1. A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Anger feeds on itself, its tough to stop and take the time to reign in our emotions when someone gets our ire up... However if you respond in kind it will only lead to pain and problems...

I'm working myself in bridling my tongue, stopping to think before I reply...

Proverbs 16:31 said:
* Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.

I don't have (M)any gray hairs, however those people that do need the respect of this current generation are not always getting it. So next time someone with gray hair offers you advice, I would take it!

Proverbs 16:6
"By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by fear of the Lord men depart from evil."

It takes both mercy and truth to obtain righteousness. It's not good enough to just have one or the other.

Back