FRUSTRATED WITH CS SERVER

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vanaze @ Feb. 13 2004,1:09)]::Watches this topic die, again.::
Just because us admins are not talking about it in open forum does not mean that your concerns are not being addressed.

We are aware of the issues concerning admins and unmonitered times for the server and are working to solve them. But it takes time. We're nto going to just randomly appoint admins. We HAVE to be certain that they won't be abusive. We HAVE to be certain that admins won't let the power they have go to their head. And finally, we have to come to a consensus and allow other admins to discuss the issues of those who we are considering as potential admins.

The point is, all this takes time and we haven't forgotten.

they removed the defualt to zero otherwise people can call votes at anytime, all they have to do is know how.

I would like to point out that the Server Administrator forum has just as many topics and replies as this forum. This was taken as of 7:34 EST:

Server Discussion (This Forum) Topics - 138 Replies 1889
Server Administrator Forum Topics - 139 Replies 1737

This totally backs up what Kidan just said about it being discussed. Although it would be inappropriate to discuss what we are talking about in the administrator forums, I can discuss one idea that spawned from the conversations there and get some more feedback from the other members.

It has been discussed to create some type of server trouble ticket system on the website. Members who could not find an admin available online could submit a trouble ticket along with the ability to upload appropriate supporting materials like demos and condumps. Server admins could then check the trouble tickets out, take appropriate actions and complete the ticket with a response going back to the creator of the ticket with a status update. That would be phase 1.

Phase 2 would be to see if we could get it to IM admins or even send emails alerting us to the need to deal with a trouble ticket so action could be taken as soon as possable.

So my question is would this be usable? No sense in me wasting time developing something that will never be used.

I am not a member of your clan (applied
smile.gif
), but this idea is intriguing. For clarities sake, what is a condump and demo? I know what uploading is but what would be uploaded?

i would only see the ticket system useful if two conditions were met:
1) It was widely publicized amongst the clan... peole knew to use it.
2) there would be someone to respond to the ticket very close to immideately. if there isn't, then that person is just going to go away? but, if the admin can ban them when they come on, that'd be nice!

G

Condump is the command that dumps the contents of your console to a text file. Usually what you would do is go to your console, type status to get a list of players with steam IDs then type in condump. It will output into your CS folder a file called condump000.txt and it will contain what your client recorded being said within the last 15+ mins. Condumps are extremely helpful for those that use inappropriate language, have bad names, ridicule others or are blasphemous.

Demos work a little differently. They actually record what you see in game and happen to be much bigger. Again, you go to your console to start a demo, simply type record along with a name of the file, i.e.:

record suspecthacker

The demo starts. At that point you would want to spectate the accused for a couple of rounds to build up some evidence. When you think you got enough, go back to the console and type stopdemo. You will now have a file called suspecthacker.dem in your CS folder that can be zipped and sent to an admin.

I agree, we would defenantly advertise it both on the website and the game server. But the condumps and demos would be a requirement to filling out a ticket. Don't want anyone abusing the ticket system just to get someone banned they don't like. Although immediate response could not be guaranteed, at least and rcon admin could ban the steam id so future incidents do not happen.

As far as hackers go, maybee we could do something with UnitedAdmins to keep the latest anti-hack technology on the sever. This way it wont be as important to have an admin on 24/7. The hackers would be banned immeadiatly, no action needed from an admin. As far as kicking players using launguage, I'm not aware if there is a way to kick them if they continually do it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Plankeye @ Feb. 14 2004,6:48)]So my question is would this be usable?  No sense in me wasting time developing something that will never be used.
It would be usuable only if the admins are active ... I don't know about online activity but the only admins I ever see in the server are Kidan, Exodus, Rizz, and Thad ... I'm not saying others don't show up but those are the one's I'm aware of, assuming that the entire ticket system didn't depend on 4 people sorting through them all it would probably work.

The problem with trouble tickets is that it takes time. Often hackers ruin the game in 5 minutes and the server clears out leaving 2 or 3 or less people in the server when nightowls like to play
sad.gif

Once again, I just left the server with a rather ticked off emotional status. We had three fellows who wouldn't stop swearing, one of which was clearly hacking (headshots through the wall from a distance, with no real way of knowing where anyone was; impossible kills in general...)

I went on a search for an admins, checked my "Friends" list only to find that every admin on my list was away or busy. I then just gave up and left the server, then immeadiately came here to post.

Until something is done about it, I'll be hard pressed to play on ToJ:CS.

Look guys, I think it's great if you really are talking amongst each other "behind the scenes", but in the meantime, our server is being overrun my moronic people who degrade the play quality of the game.

I've been patient, I've been waiting, I mean, in all honesty....

Isn't a couple of months ample time to figure something out about the server?

Yea, well, there's that.

Van

I'd be happy to admin, I'm on almost every day. I also grow weary of the grief players and all round jerks that join the server, and being unable to do anything.

Vanaze, I think you are letting CS get to you a bit more than is healthy.  The solution is simple: if you aren't having fun, don't play.  If the cause of your lack of fun are swearers or hackers, then find an admin.  If you can't find one, then find something productive to do; go read your Bible.  What use is complaining in the forum doing?  Do you think having a new post every day about how the ToJ server (and/or admins) didn't cater to your every need is going to make everyone bow to whatever you desire?  No.  I will be the first to admit, I don't like playing with people I suspect of hacking or people I know that swear, but I'm not about to post on the forum about every single bad experience I have.  So please, before you continue posting here about all your misfortunate times, think of how the admins have got to feel that they are unable to please everyone.  And more importantly, remember that they too have lives outside of babysitting a small CS server.  I leave you with one last thought:

Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam;
so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out. - Proverbs 17:14

Personally, I rarely play CS anymore, and thats bad considering that I am an admin, but I still spend 50-70% of my day glued to the comp helping CGA/ToJ, working on websites and whatnot (I'm still a geek!!). I try to look in there every once in awhile to see if theres an admin or not, and I hop in if there isn't. Dropping the admins an IM, even if our status is set to away (believe me I forget to set myself away/back all the time) should produce results. We're trying our best here to keep the server clean.

If steam friends wasn't so buggy, I'd recommend we use that instead, but for now theres http://www.toj.cc/csadmins/. I'll eat my hat if you can't get 1 response within 5 minutes at a reasonable (read: not 5am CST) hour.

Again Vanaze, we all aren't at our PC's 24-7. Most of us tend to forget to change our status, so spam us if you need an admin. I'd rather see 10 IM's from someone seeking an admin rather than an unhappy member that we feel we can't please.

One of the rules of being an admin is that they make themselves available. I give you guys permission to spam (legitimate) them to get help. They agreed upon us as they accepted the "admin challenge"!

smile.gif

They accepted the challenges of becoming an admin - The Admin Challenge!

(Actually it's when all the admins gather together in some old basement and duke it out until one emerges as the ADMIN of all time...or until we get together in that old basement again.)

Back