Asatru 101: Basic Tenets and Beliefs

Ultima have you ever read any of the Bible? The intentions of God are quite clear. He made us to have a relationship, we failed, he provides redemption to all who ask, we are restored to our relationship with him. That is his plan, relationship. There is a bit more to it but that is the basic plan or motive if you would like.

God doesnt control everything. he KNOWS everything but doesnt control. and rom 8:28 says: all things work together for the GOOD, for those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

First off Disclaimer i lean more towards a free will aspect. because i would rather believe that if i live the life as best as i can and according to His word then i am going to heaven, Predistnation your either called or your not so it doesnt matter(even if you live the life)
with that sad

Did you choose God or did He choose you, What made you want to say Hmmm i think i will be a Christian.

Lastly just a little bit of a personal attack(ohwell)

Who do you think you guys are arguing like you are so big bad theogian. You are like 14 and 15, honestly you know nothing and the sooner you realize this the better off you will be. i thought the exact same way that you are, and used almost ever agrument you could ever think of, and when i finally went to Bible college and took that enterance exam i found out HOW LITTLE I TRUELY KNEW. so i guess what i am saying to MrPop and Atown is Sit down and Shut up because this is something that YES you can forumlate your personal oppion on all you like, but untill it comes from more of a knowledged background it is nothing and will remain empty words, you can throw all the Scripture you like at me and i will 99% of the time found the counter so try it like i said i LIKE free will, but in TRUTH Predistination is there. Whether you want to accept it or not is up to you.

Ouch, pop, are you going to sit at the comp and assume because I think God is very explicit in some things means I'm some ignorant cow turd who doesn't know Melchizedek from Peleg?
That said.
LoJ, you said you'd like to live a good life and enter heaven on that aspect? Is that your belief?
To answer the choice question. God chose me. Beyond that, I'll give out a more formulated answer, but that's how it went. He chooses, we don't. It's like, hmm, The Malloreon, by Eddings. The Prophecies choose their Children, not the Children their Prophecies. Matter of fact, Eddings pokes fun at the standard question of predestination: "Why me? Why me? Why me? Why not someone else?" Now, not because I read Eddings means I believe in predestination, but the more I've thought about it from the days when I began looking, I've found it's predestination versus free will, more than we'd care to think about.
And that raises the interesting issue of this: if we're predestined, then whose fault is it for evil? If we, in the image of God, are predestined, then what of the rest of the world? Was the car wreck on I-90 predestined or was that just happenstance and God didn't really expect it'd happen on the stretch between the birch and the elm trees versus the scrub and the brush?

Eon, what's difficult about accepting it? I can. I don't know why I can, but I can. It seems impossible, but very plausible. If God created all things, then it stands to reason that He is at some point, responsible for evil under the sun. It's a big theological dispute, but let's discuss it. I liked your analogy, but I fail to see how that could be an obstruction to accepting Christianity or even thinking it plausible.

OUCH!!!! geez give us a break we may be young but without these arguments id be alot dumber.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ Jan. 03 2004,7:24)]You are like 14 and 15, honestly you know nothing and the sooner you realize this the better off you will be.
Careful buddy...I've had three years of religion and theology courses thus far at Houghton College. I know oodles more than I ever did before, and I the more I learn the more I realize I don't know half of what there is to learn. Although some of the people posting on the boards don't have that experience, one of the best ways to learn is by expressing your faith and being rebuked by those more knowledgable
biggrin.gif

Not saying you were including me in that, but at any rate...

no what i was saying is it would really suck (acording to pre dest) that if i lived the life according to Gods word, but i wasnt one of the "elect" then i wasnt going to heaven. the only way to Heaven is through Jesus, The promise is for you your child, and all those who are far off, *key* whom God will Call! (acts 3:33*not 100%sure on the exact verse near end of Peters sermon)

i was talking to loj i mean sheesh. thats like being called a 10 year old on BW.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]no what i was saying is it would really suck (acording to pre dest) that if i lived the life according to Gods word, but i wasnt one of the "elect" then i wasnt going to heaven.
You say I dont know anything about theology yet you dont even understand predestination. They believe that you know you are the elect by showing faith in Yeshua. So by their standards if you did live life according to the Bible then you are the elect.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ouch, pop, are you going to sit at the comp and assume because I think God is very explicit in some things means I'm some ignorant cow turd who doesn't know Melchizedek from Peleg?
I was just saying that I believe God's "motive" is very clear and I dont see how anyone could miss it.  
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You are like 14 and 15, honestly you know nothing
I thought you were smart enough not to judge people by their age.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did you choose God or did He choose you,
Both actually. You see he chose everyone when he died on the cross, and then one night on the way home I accepted his death.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What made you want to say Hmmm i think i will be a Christian.
I was tired of living the life I was living. I had always heard Yeshua came to set people free so I decided to become a christian.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so i guess what i am saying to MrPop and Atown is Sit down and Shut up because this is something that YES you can forumlate your personal oppion on all you like, but untill it comes from more of a knowledged background it is nothing and will remain empty words, you can throw all the Scripture you like at me and i will 99% of the time found the counter so try it like i said i LIKE free will, but in TRUTH Predistination is there.
Oh yea you can try and rebut me so I am automatically wrong your so smart LOJ! You have no idea about the amount or lack of knowledge I or Atown has. So I would say for you to sit down and shut up.

hheehe i am compelled to agree with pop, however lets calm down here its just a debate and on this we prolly will as useal agree to disagree.

The whole thing about Not going to heaven after living the Life is a Hypotethical Situation, could you live the Life according to Gods standard, unless He empowered you, NO because ever inclanication of your flesh is Evil, and you can not do Good, with out Him, apart from Him everything we do is Evil! period.

When you say you Choose God, Do you not even think that for a second it could be, because he was promiting you, and was calling to you. Why do you think that you can say the most emotional things and the most heart breaking stories to some people, and it doesnt even phase them, their heart are hardened as Pharohs was.

PoP the fact that i have argued both sides, and been on Both sides gives me the ability to Stand up and Say it, Infact if you where wise, you might learn from others mistakes and take them in,
Acts 2:38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off--for all whom the Lord our God will call."

try to disprove my herminutics here. If you didnt knowtice the very FIRST sermon EVER PREACHED, said it was for those WHOM THE LORD OUR GOD WILL CALL!!! Whichs means He choose you, You dont choose Him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]NO because ever inclanication of your flesh is Evil, and you can not do Good, with out Him, apart from Him everything we do is Evil! period.
Would BigJ or Eon tell me if they have ever done anything good I am sure they have. Dont boast I just want to know if you have ever done anything good I am sure you have.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Do you not even think that for a second it could be, because he was promiting you, and was calling to you.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]WHOM THE LORD OUR GOD WILL CALL!!!
In John 1:9 you will see that Yeshua will give light to everyone. So it would seem that everyone is in a sense called. 1 John 2:2 says that Yeshua died for all. Why would he die for all if God will only allow a few to be saved? 2 Peter 3:9 says that God wants all men to be saved. So if he wants all men to be saved and he controls salvation as you say then why isnt everyone a christian? Is God confused perhaps? If salvation can only occur if one is called then I would say these verses I have given say that all men are called.

Children, pop and Atown included with myself, generally have a lack of knowledge. In fact, that's 100% surefire truth. Kids are stupid. They lack experience. They haven't read everything. They don't know every aspect of everything. And God is the hardest thing to talk about and understand. And as children, it's extremely difficult. I mean, for me, I find it quite off and perplexing why you insist on calling God Yeshua, or Yahveh and all that hoo-ha. I mean if you're going to go Jew with the names, make sure you never spell God out. Make it G-d. It makes no sense, but as my friend says, "Whatever floats your boat."

All men are born evil, and all men die evil. It's just our nature. We cannot escape it. It is the carcass we have to tie about our necks or our ankles and drag around the city streets. And it doesn't stop until we too have plopped down into the dust. What we do, whether or not it is "Good" or "Bad" is not for man to judge, but for God. If we follow God's commandments, then, yes, we are doing "good". But see, it is not for man to judge who does right or wrong, or whether or not HIS good is better than HER good. We can't do that because we are imperfect creatures. Whenever you're not following God, then you're not performing "good". Again, we're not equipped enough to say I'm good or evi, for all men are evil. Even the good we perform is obscured.

Alas, free will and predestination are an ongoing ferocious outbreak, a plague that has swept over our hearts of beliefs. It's great to debate, but for this cause: we have children here arguing. And yes, AGE does play a prominent factor in arguing. Paul told Timothy to not allow anyone to look down on him for age, but Timothy was a great exception, having been raised by some fairly powerful believers. Children for the most part are not raised in so great a deal as Timothy had the training for. They're just not. So yes. Your age and the way you argue and speak and act are all great factors in your knowledge.

All men are called for salvation...but some are chosen. Why? I like the Pharaoh example given. He was called to release Israel. Didn't. God hardened his heart. It says explicitly multiple times GOD FREAKING HARDENED HIS HEART. He made it so that Pharaoh would be crushed completely and people around the world would fear God for his might, and would fear His people. Pharaoh could have released the people. Pharaoh could have remembered the God that Joseph served, but Joseph and his God were forgotten. All that came to surface was the people. The vast number of people. So Pharaoh ended up with a hardened heart.
God hardens other people's hearts, I believe. I will not witness to someone who staunchly and adamantly refuses to hear God's name and professes his or her disbelief in God. I get it wherever I go. School, church, wherever. There is no purpose to telling those who won't listen your faith and your reasons, and about God, when they have made their choice: they have been chosen for damnation. And some are willing to receive. Touched by the Spirit, they may be chosen for salvation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Children, pop and Atown, generally have a lack of knowledge.
According to your profile you were born the same year I was. So you had best apply that to yourself.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] find it quite off and perplexing why you insist on calling God Yeshua, or Yahveh and all that hoo-ha.
Because that is his name.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I mean if you're going to go Jew with the names, make sure you never spell God out.
There are Jews who see this as a passing fad. Not all Jews spell G-d and L-rd. Ok so God made it harder for him to release the Jews. It was still his fault, by Pharaohs own will he did not let them go. If it was God's will that Pharaoh not let his people go then God was holding his own people in captivity and is very confused.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mrpopdrinker @ Jan. 04 2004,8:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]NO because ever inclanication of your flesh is Evil, and you can not do Good, with out Him, apart from Him everything we do is Evil! period.
Would BigJ or Eon tell me if they have ever done anything good I am sure they have. Dont boast I just want to know if you have ever done anything good I am sure you have.
I have done some good things. Quite honestly, people assume that I'm a Christian in the real world.

On another note, I have no idea how old most of you are (I did on a couple of people who are no longer here, but the reason I knew their ages was that I knew them from other boards.) I know people who are young and knowledgeable, and old and ignorant. When it comes to most things, I don't judge by ages.

So...the Bible's inaccurate when it states that God hardened the heart of Pharaoh? It should read: Pharaoh, a cold-hearted bastard from the start, hardened his heart when he swore he would let the Hebrews go.
I mean, if God made it harder...then God was directly involved in the slaughter of the Egyptian army. That means, God could have softened Pharaoh's heart and let him wave a teary-eyed goodbye to the Hebrews as they jetted off...but He didn't. Which means God can be merciless and cruel when He wants to be.
True?

yes God could have done it another way. but God is God, his will be done on earth as it is in heaven. and plz stop insulting me bout my age. its really annoying and off topic. and useally i dont post where my knowlege is most limited (e.x. the gay marriage issue)

No one's making a direct post insulting anybody's age in any of these posts...
And I have no idea as to which post you're answering. I can only assume a recent one. Do you or do you not agree that God was a cold and merciless God when he performed that deed of hardening Pharaoh's heart...or was it a slip of the scribe of Moses when they said God hardened Pharaoh's heart?

Back