Asatru 101: Basic Tenets and Beliefs

Eon

Okay, as per request, here are some of the most basic ideas and tenets of the Asatru faith. Please bear in mind that there are as many flavours of Asatruism as there are Asatruaar - it's quite possible that this will vary from what you think you know, believe is true or have heard / read elsewhere! Centralised and dogmatic groups DO exist, but even these organisations cannot claim to be THE Asatruaar faith or to know THE truth.

Where to start?

First of all, Asatru is often called Odinism, and is a term used to describe all the groups who practice the Volkish (Folkish) faith of the European nations. It's more than just the Norse - which is why it is also often referred to as the Northern Tradition - as most northern European aboriginal beliefs include significant similarities. The names of the Gods are generally the biggest difference (Woden instead of Odin, for example).

Asatru is a Polytheistic religion - that is to say that it has many Gods and Goddesses and that each of these has their own reputed areas of strength - praying to Thor for Strength and Odin for Wisdom and Tyr for Justice, for example.

Asatruaar do not hold with strong centralised control of their religion. You will find no unified prayer book of the Northern Tradition. That said, we have instead the Nine Virtues, and a few common prayers.

The Nine Virtues (As taken from a website - so it's a general interpretation):

COURAGE
The bravery to do what is right at all times.

TRUTH
The willingness to be honest and say what one knows to be true and right.

HONOUR
The feeling of inner value and worth from which one knows that one is noble of being, and the desire to show respect for this quality when it is found in the world.

FIDELITY
The will to be loyal to one's Gods and Goddesses, to one's folk, and to one's self.

DISCIPLINE
The willingness to be hard with one's self first, then if need be with others.

HOSPITALITY
The willingness to share what one has with one's fellows, especially when they are far from home.

INDUSTRIOUSNESS
The willingness to work hard--always striving for efficiency--as a joyous activity in itself.

FREEDOM
The spirit of independence which is achieved not only for the individual but also for the family, clan, tribe and nation.

PERSEVERANCE
The spirit of endurance that can always bring one back from defeat or failure--each time we fail we recognize failure for what it is and, if the purpose is true and good, we persevere until success is won.

Obviously, each of the Nine means something different to all of us at different times in our lives. These are given as a general interpretation that is common to most Asatruaar in general.

Finally, the two "official" prayers that I know. One is a recent reconstruction - and part of a campaign to represent Asatruism in schools as a counterpoint to the underlying Christian bias that one tends to find when
people talk about eroding the seperation of Church and State, the other is a translation of a warriors prayer

before battle.

Daily Prayer:

Hail Day, hail Day's sons,
Hail Night and daughter of Night!
Gaze on us gently and grant us who pray to you victory.
Hail to the Gods, hail to the Goddesses,
Hail to you, all-giving Earth!
Words and wisdom grant us, and healing hands in this life.

Warriors Prayer:
Lo' there do I see My Father,
Lo' there do I see My Mother, My Sisters, & My Brothers,
Lo' there do i see the line of my People, back to the Beginning
Lo' they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them,
in the Halls of Valhalla, Where The Brave May Live FOREVER

I think I'll break here for discussion and questions.
smile.gif

wow very interesting though pretty basic. now is there a god or godess that represents each of the 9 virtues? u say there is no unfied prayer book, is there any set guidelines that would or could help a person through life and what would those be?? and if not then are u just kinda hopin that Odin or somethin is gonna save u??

Yeah, I was about to ask a similiar question(s).

How do you know when you are on the right path?
Where does that path lead to?
What happens when you falter?
How do you know when you have faltered?
Are there varying degrees of faltering?
Is there a way to get back on the path?
Are there varying degrees of successfully navigating a path, any path, the right path?
Do they take interest if you are on the right path or not?
Are the gods and goddesses omni-everything?
Do they have time for you?
How do you know when they have time for you?
Do they have more time for you if you keep the tennants better then somebody else?

I have a few questions for you too.
1-how big is the pantheon? Is it comparable to the Greco-Roman tradition where there are basically gods and goddesses for everything?
2-Vallhalla (sp?) is it literal (as most Christians believe Heaven is a literal place)? And what happens there?

On a personal note, if you don't mind, where do you live (like country-wise)? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere. I've never met an Asatruaar before...I don't think it's all that big in the US outside certain, ahem, groups (White Power).

I've just lost an enormous posting which I was writing - so this will be a more succinct response. I suspect somebody was trying to tell me something!
biggrin.gif

Answering the questions as they were put...

1. No one God or Goddess represents each Virtue. There are a LOT of Gods and Goddesses among the Aesir and Vanir!

2. The Virtues are as general a guideline as the Gods are willing to provide. in my opinion half of the problems that exist with Christianity lie with this need to see a list of rules in print! Changing circumstances require flexible rules - not inexhaustible dogma. If you want specific help regarding specific circumstances then Odin gave us all two gifts to help out.

a. Wisdom. We learn the beginnings of wisdom at our Fathers knee. Of course the Allfather is the ultimate father and he is the source of this wisdom.

b. The Runes. Through the use of Divinatory Runes we can skip the generations and gain access to the Allfathers store of wisdom directly. It requires a little application, study and the wisdom to interpret Odin's guidelines, but that's what Gothi are for - to help us learn.

3. Odin doesn't save anyone - he preserves half of the fallen in each battle to provide humanities contribution to the last battle, other than that - well, he is the Allfather, but children have to stand on their own merits when they become adults - he's always there to provide support if we ask it.

4. Peon provides the list of questions I expected about paths, ways and judgement. There are no clearly marked paths through Odinism, as there are no clearly marked paths through life. There is no bright shining thread that you can veer further and further away from - just an absolute standard which you either meet or fall short of every instant of your life. We all collect shames and brags through our life - those times when you know you didn't measure up to your potential, and those times when you know you excelled. You are judged by others every day, but it's your own judgement that matters the most - except in the manner of your death.

5. The aspect of Asatru that Christians most often have problems coping with is the humanity of the Gods and Goddesses, and their relationship with their human kin. Where you have one monolithic godhead - perfect, unchangeable, inviolable and all powerful - we have numerous Gods and Goddesses, each as different one from the other as you might be different from me. These gods fall in love, they marry, they have mistresses and consorts, children, they quarrel, come to blows, engage in sport and war. You might think that this makes your God superior to our many - but another way of looking at it is asking yourself how Brave is he who never knows fear? Our Gods will fight and die, alongside the best half of us that ever lived in a titanic battle to create a world without evil - but how can Good exist without Evil?

6. The Gods and Goddesses are all contactable - of course it takes a lot of energy to attract their attention (sometimes! Sometimes they come unbidden!) and this is the reason for pathworkings or for the larger rituals that the Pagan/Heathen religions are famous for. The Gods, however, have their own battles, issues and agenda's. Sometimes you can raise them with a word, other times they will not come at all. Not having any strict tenets or prayers or ceremonies, of course, means that the Gods make their own evaluation of your needs and worthiness - not one based on how much gold you drop into the collection plate, or incense you burn.

7. There are MANY Gods and Goddesses. In my lost reply I quoted you something like 18 of them, listing off their relationships and responsibilities. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that again - but I will start a seperate topic on the Gods if you'd like and we can run through who they are and what they do.

8. Valhalla is a real place - it's a hall in Asgard. Where Asgard is, I don't know - up the world tree from Midgaard! ;) Possibly it's a dimensional thing - maybe it's on another planet - I really don't know the answer to that! In Valhalla Odin gathers the host of human warriors who will ride with him to his fated doom at the final battle. It's going to be a rough battle - humans aren't really built to fight giants, and giants are the least of what they'll have to face - but they're the best and bravest we've produced.

In order to prepare, Odin splits the army into two each dawn and they fight into the evening. As the sun goes down, the battle ends and Odin raises the fallen from the dead. The host then returns to Valhalla where they drink mead and ale and eat roast boar. There may be women involved too - but the details here are a little fuzzy.

Of course Valhalla is not the only afterlife - Hel is the dark and cold realm of the dead, but some sort of a meaningful life is possible there. There is a hall (I'm hazy on this, I'm afraid) where those families who adhere to the old ways gather after death, where they can watch their descendants on Midgaard.

9. I'm from the UK - originally, although I live in Holland now. You'd be surprised how many Asatru there are - it's one of the fastest growing religions in the world! In Iceland, for example, the fastest growing demographic in the country is the Asatru demographic. Outside of Iceland though, we tend to be lumped in with the Wiccans and New Agers. That category is believed to be DOUBLING in size every two years in the US, and at last count it was believed that there were 750,000 men, women and children who are actively Pagan or Heathen.

How many of those are actually Asatruaar is something I suspect that nobody knows - but most are probably Wiccan.

As for the White Power angle - I know and I'm bitterly ashamed, because I have to admit that they're my brothers and sisters, despite beliefs that I hate. The first Asatru group that I joined I had to leave over a difference of opinion over racial issues - it wasn't that they HATED those of other blood, but I have always been of the opinion that if you embrace the Gods then how can they do other than embrace you back - live your life according to the virtues, marry and die well and pass on your wisdom to your children. What other qualification is required for membership?

Many believe European ancestry is too.

Which is okay for me - I'm so Aryan that I make the Waffen SS blush, but it's not okay for those who have lived in Europe for five or six or 10 generations but who happen to have originally come from Africa or Asia.

Sorry about that... Sore subject...

-post withdrawn-

Nothing bad in it...just questions that appear may have been answered in your post that I seemed to have missed.

I'll ask more later.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Our Gods will fight and die
technically i dont believe that gods can auctually die even if they are pagan. i mean isnt that a basic rule that gods cant die??

well to me in eons post he is saying they go to war and die. he said nothing of coming back to life again making our God supporiour
biggrin.gif

At the end of the final battle, all but one or two of the Gods will be dead. Dead beyond retreival dead. REALLY dead, not your namby-pamby "three days in the penalty box" dead.

That's actually a central point in my faith - that my Gods are willing to sacrifice themselves in order to create a better world for those who will follow. If by superior you are looking at a "Top Trumps"esque measurement of supposed strengths and weaknesses then it's hard to beat a deity that claims to be immortal, invulnerable, omnipotent and omniscient. Of course it's an absolute doddle to write down in a book that you're omniscient and omnipotent than to actually BE that way.

I am both all powerful and all knowing.

See, anyone can do it.

Eon

Quotes from Eon.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Valhalla is a real place - it's a hall in Asgard. Where Asgard is, I don't know - up the world tree from Midgaard! ;) Possibly it's a dimensional thing - maybe it's on another planet - I really don't know the answer to that!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The host then returns to Valhalla where they drink mead and ale and eat roast boar. There may be women involved too - but the details here are a little fuzzy.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am both all powerful and all knowing.
Now I have to ask you. Are you sure you are all knowing?
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Eon, thanks for the info.
smile.gif
Also glad that the WP part was not misunderstood...it wasn't meant as a slam, and I'm glad that you didn't take it as such.

I scanned this really quickly, since it's about 3 am and I was heading to bed....So forgive any repeats I might give.

Do you think the God of Israel is a god?

Do you believe that other polythestic religions, such as that of the Egyptians, are genuine, meaning that the Egyptians'(other polytheistic religion) gods were real?

If you do believe in/that the God of Israel exists, where amongst your other gods would He lie?

Van

Mr Pop - Nahh, I'm really not omniscient - and I wouldn't feel comfortable making such a claim. Unless of course I had a hundreds of thousands strong group of clergy to proof read everything I released... ;)

Big J - No problem at all - it's the unfortunate truth.:)

Van - Answers to your questions in order below!

1. Do I think the God of Israel is a God? Yes, I'm fairly sure he is. Note the use of "a" God though - I don't think he's THE God.

2. Yes, I'm fairly sure that the Pantheon of the Egyptian faith was comprised of real Gods and Godesses. Were they other Gods and Goddesses or merely the ones I know with a different name? Can't answer that one, I'm afraid - I know the Gods in only one guise.

3. Where would I put Yahweh in my personal collection of Gods? Well, I rejected him, to put it bluntly. There's a lot of absolute rubbish being talked in my homeland, in his name, by his priests and in his temples - and he doesn't seem to be too interested in stopping it. He still does a lot of things that I don't agree with - some of them make me angry - but I guess you could say that we've agreed to disagree. At one time I would have advocated the utter dissolution of the Christian church within my homeland, by force if need be - but I'm a lot more resigned to the fact that there will likely ALWAYS be some Christians in the North. I look forward to seeing how the Christian church comes out of its current trying times and how it changes - hopefully for the better.

Ha! Be cynical, Eon. For Christians to come out of the rut we've dug ourselves into for the past five hundred years (since origination from the Catholics) would mark the coming of Christ, and by that time, very few could truly claim to be Christians. So maybe our disappearance wouldn't be too earth-shattering...whoa. Now that I think about it like that...
Anyways. Why Asatru? What made you choose Odinism over, say, Zen Buddhism, Freemasonry, or the Druid way?

Sacrifice. Yeah, I can see the humor you would take against three piddly days in the grave for God. Except, what happened in those three days is what matters, I believe. Dead gods that don't come back, really touching and all, but how great are they if they'd blindly charge into battle to die for a people as chaotic as they? Sacrifice, yeah, love, yeah. But so what? Why stick to any gods who'd rush into a war with big things we can't see and die?
I mean, after Thor dies, what happens to you? Do you just meander around aimlessly with no purpose in life, or do you claim to whatever god is left after Ragnarok? Or do you just go atheist or seek solace in the Temple of Diana?
Questions...if my God died all of a sudden, with no clear warnings that he one day would, and all of a sudden, didn't come back...I'd feel very betrayed. After all, the words my God have been telling me are these: "Look ahead, live for Me, for one day I will come again." And then he meets in a tragic car wreck. Great job. Now what?
So I'm just wondering what you would do after your god inevitably kicks the bucket.

Rofl, I just cracked up thinking of Odin walking along and literally kicking a bucket. *snicker* Sorry. -_-

I need more sleep.

Van

Eon, quick thing to note about the Egyptian gods and goddesses (my personal belief being that pagan and the heathen gods were truly Lucifer's minions in disguise, but that's besides the point...)...

According to the Bible, the Pentateuch specifically, the Egyptian gods fell before the God of the Hebrews. From what I understand of polythestic religions, if one god defeats another god...Well. Kaput. No more coming from that defeated god.

So, two plausible thoughts for you could be:

A) Well, if those were my gods under different aliases, that means they were beaten by a superior god

or

B) Those weren't MY gods, they couldn't be beaten.

'course, this all would interwine with your own personal beliefs about your gods fighting amongst themselves, eventually killing out all but the most ::SUPAR L33T::....This may seem inconsequential to you...

but it seems pretty profound to me. Perhaps your own "prophecy" within your religion is pointing you in the direction of the Hebrew god, if in fact there were many gods. For if the Hebrew god defeats all of your gods as he did the Egyptian gods (possibly your gods?), wouldn't you have to follow him?

Just a few thoughts. Forgive any confusing grammar, for I'm tired and my eyes are hard to focus. I had too many bizzarre dreams last night and couldn't sleep well =\

Vanaze

hmm ok, now y do u like gods who are weak?? i mean isnt it a basic thought to go for the strongest?? especially in a situation as this, about spirituality, i would go for the God who has no weakness and is all powerful. i mean whats the point of having some weak god who dies in the end when fighting the God of abraham, isiac n jacob.

Gosh - what a lot of points to answer! As they seem to be different shards of the same mirror, I may as well clue you into the image, rather than explain each piece individually!

Firstly - the death of the Norse gods is prophecied - they are doomed to die, just as we are doomed to die. This isn't a surprise thing - there are a number of signs that will point the way to the coming of Ragnarok, and Odin is remarkably foresighted. Secondly, the Gods aren't rushing blindly into battle, against invisible foes, as you say. They are facing the primal force of evil, and they are gathering together the best of humanity to fight and die at their side. And that evil WILL be defeated, though it cost most of the Gods their lives, and most everything else living either. Our reward is also in the form of a promised paradise - but it is a paradise promised to the last of our people, we ourselves will never set foot in it. As you say, if Yahweh was killed by, say, Buddah (unlikely, I know - maybe it's a rice eating contest that rages out of control) then you would be in the position of having been lied to. You've been promised everlasting power, total knowledge and utter control of everything. I recieved that promise and then found myself in a religion which couldn't even preserve its holy land, it's main prophets or keep control of its own clergy.

So I know what my Gods promise me, they promise me a shot at making a difference - something no Christian can ever claim. When Thor does die, splitting the skull of Jormungandir while lodged in his throat and dying of his venom, where will I be? Perhaps I'll be leading a unit of spearman to hold Fenris and buy some time for Tyr. Maybe I'll be holding a line around the body of some wounded goddess whilst she fights to heal enough of us for another charge. Maybe I'll get crushed fighting to stop a phalanx of Fire Giants as they try to break our shield wall. Doesn't matter, but I'll go down swinging, and I won't go down alone. I won't be sitting smugly on a cloud and composing toadying hosanna's whilst I watch my world burn, that's for sure.

As for the all the various Gods of the various Pantheon's merely being Satans little helpers in false moustaches and sunglasses - really, do you believe Jack Chick tracts too?
rock.gif

Van, I'm going to throw your own words back at you. If Yahweh had defeated my Gods, as you say he did the Egyptians (although you need to talk to the Wiccans, a lot of them hear regularly from Isis) then wouldn't I be forced to follow him? And yet... ...despite the best machinations of the Catholic church and the Holy Roman Empire (distinguished in that it was neither Holy, Roman nor an Empire!) here we still are. After all this time.

Still got the runes, still got the Havamal, still got the Edda's and still keeping the old Faith of the north.

ATown, how do you know which is weak and which strong?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Written by Tolkien, granted, but the man he was speaking of was an archetypal northern hero - the King without a crown, who must win his kingdom by deeds and bravery.

Eon

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Eon @ Dec. 31 2003,12:44)]I look forward to seeing how the Christian church comes out of its current trying times and how it changes - hopefully for the better.
Man, so do I. So do I...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So I know what my Gods promise me, they promise me a shot at making a difference - something no Christian can ever claim. When Thor does die, splitting the skull of Jormungandir while lodged in his throat and dying of his venom, where will I be? Perhaps I'll be leading a unit of spearman to hold Fenris and buy some time for Tyr. Maybe I'll be holding a line around the body of some wounded goddess whilst she fights to heal enough of us for another charge. Maybe I'll get crushed fighting to stop a phalanx of Fire Giants as they try to break our shield wall. Doesn't matter, but I'll go down swinging, and I won't go down alone. I won't be sitting smugly on a cloud and composing toadying hosanna's whilst I watch my world burn, that's for sure.

Welp, all I can say is I hope I get a chance to fight for my side like that when the time comes.

I'm still foggy about something, though. Does good inevitably triumph over evil? I suppose I could then ask, "why bother fighting if good prevails over evil?", but I realize that that could easily be turned on me
tounge.gif

Back