[Weekly - W] Now Playing

the desk was put on hold again to build a tornado in a box for daughters school project...

someday ill be able to game again :(

the desk was put on hold again to build a tornado in a box for daughters school project...

someday ill be able to game again :(
I read "tornado in a box" and "daughter" and immediately thought of my younger child. :|

Still Puzzle & Dragons, though there's not much going on this week.

Still logging in for daily bonuses in Pokemon Shuffle and playing the occasional stage here and there.

Thoroughly enjoying The Talos Principle so far. It feels great to be playing a first-person puzzle game again. I've even starting converting some of the hexadecimal sequences found in text snippets throughout the game to text. I think the last time I used any out-of-game resources to solve puzzles was when I found the cipher for the alien language in FEZ.

A local video store is offering free rentals for students' As, so my daughter chose to rent Kirby Star Allies for the Switch. She's relatively new to traditional game controls, but she's learning quickly and Kirby is the ideal first platformer.

Played the Aegis Defenders demo on the Switch recently (though I don't remember if it was in the last week or prior). Enjoyed what I played, but was ready to be done with it by the end of the demo. Doubt I'll pick this one up.

Got to play a round or two of Team Fortress 2 during TF2sday this week. Yay!

I don't even know what I've played in the last week. Brain is kinda... offline. Too many things going through it.

Played Golf, as in the "go outside and hit a small ball around with a fancy stick" kind. With to a par three short course for the second time in my adult life (and first time in like... 6+ years). That was fun. Can't wait to go again. Course was really cheap too, but well groomed all the same. Hooray for that find!

Still working on Rogue Legacy. Had my best earning run yet recently, coming in just shy of 2,000 gold. That was nice.

Played a little NHL 18. Just quick games so far. No time/opportunity to get into franchise play. Feels good to play a proper pro sports game again, though.

Getting my daily gacha logins, but not playing them presently.

Somehow in all my chaotic life of pastoring and working full time along with pastoring, I have played a little bit of Hollow Knight and The Lost Child. Currently, working through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 NG+ mode, this game is my all time favorite in the JRPG realm so far. Played a few rounds of Fortnite, but was not too impressed. Have a ton of other games I have been playing with my older son and daughter.

It's Wednesday already? How, though? haha

Played the latest international tournament qualifier round in Everybody's Golf. It's the second half of a Level-5 anniversary event. Get all kinds of branded loot for participating. (Last leg yielded me a full White Knight suit from White Knight Chronicles. Hooray!) But I more than participated. Managed -12 on an 18 hole course I've never played. Got bonus loot for getting -10. Here's to hoping I place even close to as well on the actual tournament portion.

Started on Rainbow Skies last night, successor to Rainbow Moon. Very excited about this. Feels good so far. A nice bit of Final Fantasy Tactics-inspired combat in an otherwise traditional RPG (with optional random encounters!).

That's about it, though. Extra demands in light of my wife's injury has further cut down game time, and I've been reading comics in bed instead of gaming some of that time too.

A day late, buuuuuut...

Played real-world Golf again today. Did a lot better than last time. Still got a long way to go before I'm ready for pro circuits. (lolololololol)

Other than that, it's mostly been Rainbow Skies and Rogue Legacy on Vita. The former is exactly what I want it to be: a well-designed throwback with solid, reliable mechanics, variable difficulty levels, and no forced random encounters. It's also self-aware in that it pokes fun of tropes and stupid things happening even as they happen. haha The latter continues to impress. Ever in-game purchase to improve my "next life" adds to the game. Even when I've gone through countless generations of would-be heroes at this point, I feel like I'm still progressing in a way true roguelikes don't. Game is great.

I feel like I've played other stuff, but--other than daily gacha logins--I'm not really sure what. Mr. Mom duties added on to regular life while my wife recovers has me more exhausted (and more forgetful) than usual.

Edit: Oh duh. My favorite thing to play this week, even if I'm less than halfway through it (which is half-disappointing given that speedrunners beat it in under an hour), is Sonic Mania. Now that right there is a brilliant throwback. Even the zones that are pretty heavily borrowed from prior games then take turns that make them super cool. Loving this, and can't wait to finish it and keep playing.

Last edited:
My favorite thing to play this week, even if I'm less than halfway through it (which is half-disappointing given that speedrunners beat it in under an hour), is Sonic Mania. Now that right there is a brilliant throwback. Even the zones that are pretty heavily borrowed from prior games then take turns that make them super cool. Loving this, and can't wait to finish it and keep playing.
I had thought about picking up Sonic Mania for the Switch whenever it goes on a decent sale. I <3 old school Sonic and Mania looks like Sega finally listened to the fans.

Desk builder 2018 finished last week YAY!!!!...

God said nope, hit my house with lightning and fried a display, maimed another display, killed a PCI lane, MoBo in general is funky, and made half the circuits in my house inoperable.

Now its Electrician 2018 while i save for new PC parts.
:(

OH, Wife ordered me a Classic NES the day the lightning hit. At least i have Zelda :D

Life generally bested my efforts to get significant gaming in. Buuuuuut...

Made progress in Sonic Mania. I think the mean finish time for the main game on HLTB is about 5.5 hours. I'm about two-thirds through it at this point. Thaaaaat's how my progress has been.

Picked up Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition with my brother while super cheap since we were both waiting for a sale. I played... a tiny bit of the intro. They did a bang-up job of giving me motive to get out in the desolation and do a thing, but that doesn't change the lack of getting time and energy for it to be available simultaneously.

And got into the Magic: The Gathering Arena (I think this is the official way to write that; it looks ugly to me, so I'll stick with MTG Arena, which seems equally sanctioned by Wizards) beta. Got the game installed. Opened the boosters that you get with a new account....no chance to actually play a game yet. Alas!

Related, though, I now have my desktop set up again as a personal (and work) computer, which means PC gaming can be an option! Y'know... with all that game time/energy I want to believe I have.

Still Puzzle & Dragons. A new QoL (quality of life) update dropped this week and it's fantastic. Makes upgrading my paper dolls monsters a lot easier.

Recently purchased Hollow Knight on the Switch! I've made it to the point in the game where the difficult has ramped up considerably, so I'm finally getting ready to spend some of the Geo I've been hoarding. Planning on pinging @BananaGirl on Discord for recommendations soon. (Fair warning!)

Played a short round or two of Team Fortress 2 during ToJ's weekly TF2sday even earlier this week.

And I think that's it. Wow.

Pre-ordered Sonia Mania Plus for the Switch earlier today. Allowing myself to get excited about a pre-order again, even after the Ys VIII debacle. (Abridged version: NIS opted to release an unfinished game and patch it later rather than delay the release and fix the issues pre-launch.) I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a new Sonic game, but it may very well have been during the 16-bit era.

Played absolutely terribly in a game of Golf last weekend. Started off with an absolutely gorgeous shot off a seven iron, but overshot the course (into an empty field, thank God). Given that it's a small course with little room for straying, I got timid and underhit literally everything afterward. Also, I have no opportunity to putt except while on the course, so learning to judge power has been rough.

Finished Sonic Mania's main mode for the first time this weekend too. Despite that, it's still the game I've played most as I work on collecting Chaos Emeralds and unlocking stuff. Plus content just released, and I'm looking forward to trying that out a bit.

And that's about it, I think. Been trying to play Magic Arena, but my video card continues to overheat even after a good dusting and inspection, so my computer hard crashes on me. Lost out of a competitive draft that way (one of the modes that uses premium currency to play). Pretty disappointed in my tech situation right now.

Still Puzzle & Dragons.

Trying to get back to Hollow Knight after stalling out following a few failed attempts at clearing a boss. Haven't quite regained my momentum.

Played some Overwatch Thursday night. Scored a 20 player kill streak as Pharah. <3 for Pharah.

On and off again with Pokemon GO. Mostly off.

Logging on to Pokemon Shuffle for daily rewards, but that's it.

No progess on The Talos Principle this week, but hoping to get back to it soon.

Downloaded and played a few demos on the Switch yesterday. Cleared every level of the Puzzle Puppers demo and thinking I might break my, "Don't buy a new game until you finish at least one you're playing through right now" rule because it fills the "chill puzzle game on the Switch" niche so well.

I think I cleared a few levels in Sonic Mania Plus earlier in the week?

Pokemon Go
FF Brave Exevious?

and some overwatch.

Played fighters last night and that was fun :)

Still Puzzle & Dragons.

Got my groove back in Hollow Knight.

Still haven't made my way back to The Talos Principle.

No progress in Persona 5 this week.

:/

and some overwatch.
So do you ever play Overwatch in the evenings?

Because if you do, you should ping the @overwatch role on our Discord server some time. :)

i usually do the mornings at like 7am PST - its mostly old people at that time :)

i usually do the mornings at like 7am PST - its mostly old people at that time :)
"Old people," eh? Does that mean I might be able to rack up another 20 player kill streak with Pharah? :D

Not that I'd be able to play at 9 a.m. Central, anyway. :/

Got sucked back into Warframe. Got caught up on the quests, learned my way around the plains of Eidolon, and picked up the frames I missed in my absence.

Still playing PUBG on Tuesdays with my brother. I am terrible at the game but it doesn't really matter when playing with people you know.

In the hectic lead-up to Spectre-6's imminent arrival, haven't gamed a ton. Mostly played some Minecraft (Bedrock Edition) with my siblings and Zelda: A Link to the Past. SNES Classic is a zero-regrets buy. It's such a happy little device. haha

Back