Why does the world need religion?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (soccer_12 @ Jan. 18 2004,9:41)]As far as I see it, you can be a good honest person and have a more enjoyable life, have more free time and not feel different than others, without religion and without God.
Probably could, but it will only be enjoyable for life on earth. Once that ends eternal hell just doesn't sound all that pleasant to me.

Really... I thought my response to that and Kidan's worked really well together ;D.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.  
Satan represents the theif in this verse and Jesus Christ was the one speaking it.  I don't think he was just talking about eternal life.  I think he ment that life on this earth would be the best if we followed him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But let's forgo the eternal rewards of following Christ, and think of just this existance.

A majority of God's laws allow you to live a happier and healthier life.

A prime example is sex.  It's been proven that if you wait until you are married to have sex, you are statistically going to have more, better sex, than promiscous single and married people who were promiscious prior to marriage.

Sure Kidan's sounds more sophistocated though. But i still have a verse
tounge.gif

lol kidan useally shows everyone up though :p especially me since im still not good at articulating. and fleck ur doin a gj and im glad ur here its nice to see a normal person like me :p . on topic: all have fallin short of the glory of God. the wages of sin are death. hmmm lets think bout that. we have all fallen short (sinned) and sin = death. however with Jesus that means that sins=forgiveness, forgiveness= heaven. i mean sure you cant just go around sinning then repent and then sin again. as i said before its kinda a lifestyle.

i use bible seeker from download.com it has MTC

Dear me, always with the threats, you monotheistic religions. I suppose that's what you get for vesting one individual with the power of a pantheon - he takes on airs and graces. Not enough that he be mighty, powerful and wise - he has to be mightiest, most powerful, wisest.

And if that isn't enough - as if the threat of playing the Fiat Uno in the celestial game of Top Trumps isn't enough - you get damned to hell for all eternity. Not just a damn long time either - eternity.

<Yawn> Go threaten elsewhere - if you can't come up with positive reasons then you probably don't have a good enough argument...

Eon

rock.gif

i don't remember making any threats.....

and if my memory of asartu theology is still correct, it's possible to get damned to hell for all eternity there to, based upon the judgement of one deity. The same flies true for judaism and Islam. Now greco-roman myths, basically everyone went to hell, and those poor hindu's just have to keep trying till they get it right.

Naw, I think I'll take my way. I'm promised a spot in Heaven, not by anything i've done, but by the blood of Christ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Eon @ Jan. 21 2004,4:44)]Whereas I'm promised a shot on my own merits... Win, lose or place..

Eon
a shot.

wow. Hope it's not like in golf, where 99% of shots miss the hole.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ Jan. 21 2004,4:36)]Naw, I think I'll take my way.  I'm promised a spot in Heaven, not by anything i've done, but by the blood of Christ.
First off, Hello Everyone! I'm Chris.

I am not going to claim to be a expert on Christianity, in fact I have questioned what religion really is several times before but overcoming depression with The Bible in my hand I feel that I have a good grasp on it now and I do not feel that you are promised a place in Heaven, it is there for you, but it is not yours to just have.

Welcome Christ. and fleck his sig is a close up of Zell from FF8
laugh.gif
. hey kidan speak for ur self, i rock at golf i average 66 per game
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
. but yeah 1 shot at life is to few, i like the idea of believing in God, accepting a free gift and a perfect view from heaven .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fleck @ Jan. 18 2004,10:54)]You see... thats why we can't establish a good solid arguement... because I believe my God is real and you don't.  All you see religon as is something that people use to control other people and in many cases that may be true.  But there are things that I can't deny.  Thing that I've seen, things that I've heard, thing that I've felt that make me know that God is real.  It's not about being afraid of not apologizing to God.  Its not about reading a book or going to church.  (While those things are good)  And its most certainly not about having the most "enjoyable" life by what you mean.  I take it to mean that you mean a life without rules and morality (neccesarily).  But you said that being a "good honest person" was important to you.  Why?  I mean if there really is no God than why in the first place do you have morals?  You might say that the world tells you that good people with good lives have good morals and because of that, that you value morals.  But if you think back to a time before you really knew anything, anything at all about the world, I think you will find that you had morals to begin with.  You might call it a "conscience."  Over time of course, after sin, your conscience would go away.  Its the little voice in your head that tells you not to do whats wrong and to do whats right.
Why can't I have morals without having a religion? I know when I have done something wrong. I reliase that I have and try not to make the same mistake again. I don't go out drinking, using drugs, stealing, vandilising because I don't believe in God. I don't do it because I think it is wrong, not because a book told me it was wrong but because I know its wrong, my parents, my experiences have told me it is wrong. I still have a conscience and don't see why I would loose it (why would you think I will, already have?).

Welcome Chris, and Atown, that's his avatar, not sig.
I like the first part of Fleck's better though...sounds like something I'd say. Chris' is just...morose.
So you have to earn your place in heaven, is that what you mean?
Well, Eon, I can see how you'd prefer getting your eternity based on how well you performed here. It has a nice sound to it: not getting a gyp heaven for merely taking as truth that this guy died and came back to life for all persons.
However, if I died right now with your beliefs, that'd suck. My question is: who judges your acts as good enough? And by what measuring stick? If some deity didn't like the way I acted in my sixteen years of life, I'd feel pretty pathetic even trying to scrounge up any deeds to show off as "good" enough to buy me my passage into heaven.

Soccer somethign i tryd to tell u in an earlyer post that may have been overlookd was that Christianity is not just a religion its a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. and dont u think that would be sweet to have a relationship with God?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ToJ | Dead_Aim @ Jan. 18 2004,10:56)]Good person? There are no good people. We all fall way short of that, religion has nothing to do with it. How can you yourself tell whether your a good person or not? I mean truly no one is gonna say Im a horrible person who does bad things (unless of course your like a maniac or devil worshiper which gets back into religion).

Good person? By what standards are you a good person? You don't have religion so you aren't using them as a set a rules. What rules are you using to justify whether you are a good person or not? Please explain...Ill finish the rest of this post later after your done. I just don't feel that you can justify "good person".
No one is a perfect person but someone can be good. Good is not a perfect person, I don't have a list of rules that I am using to prove that I am good. I don't even know that I am all that good. I try my best to be a decent person who abides by the law, don't do anything too hurt others and I use my conscience to decide if what I am doing is right or wrong. Maybe this has nothing to do with what you think is a good person, I don't know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Atown @ Jan. 21 2004,6:56)]Soccer somethign i tryd to tell u in an earlyer post that may have been overlookd was that Christianity is not just a religion its a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. and dont u think that would be sweet to have a relationship with God?
I think that I can live a life without a relationship with God and not be missing anything. You may feel differently but it's something that just doesn't appeal to me.

Back