Why does the world need religion?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Erilidon @ Jan. 21 2004,6:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ Jan. 21 2004,4:36)]Naw, I think I'll take my way.  I'm promised a spot in Heaven, not by anything i've done, but by the blood of Christ.
First off, Hello Everyone! I'm Chris.

I am not going to claim to be a expert on Christianity, in fact I have questioned what religion really is several times before but overcoming depression with The Bible in my hand I feel that I have a good grasp on it now and I do not feel that you are promised a place in Heaven, it is there for you, but it is not yours to just have.
The Bible tells us that all who accept Christ are given a place in Heaven.

So my statement that I'm promised a place in Heaven, because of Christ's blood is correct. It's not mine because I do good things, it's not mine because I have nice hair. It's mine because I've been washed and cleaned by Christ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (soccer_12 @ Jan. 21 2004,7:17)]I think that I can live a life without a relationship with God and not be missing anything.  You may feel differently but it's something that just doesn't appeal to me.
Did you mean by this that you do believe in God?
Do you believe a personal relationship is possible?

I am curious because its easier for me to argue your points if i understand where you're coming from.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ultima Avatar @ Jan. 21 2004,6:55)]Welcome Chris, and Atown, that's his avatar, not sig.
D'oh!
Sorry about that I accidentally used the wrong word... I get them confused.  He knew what I ment by goofy at least.  
tounge.gif
Sorry to confuse you guys... but my sig's funny too!  
laugh.gif

Oh and thanks Atown for the insight on Chris's sig. Err avatar

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ Jan. 21 2004,8:37)]The Bible tells us that all who accept Christ are given a place in Heaven.  

So my statement that I'm promised a place in Heaven, because of Christ's blood is correct. It's not mine because I do good things, it's not mine because I have nice hair.  It's mine because I've been washed and cleaned by Christ.
Wow good point Kidan I never thought of it that way before. But don't you think that was a little harsh... the new guy to the forums... not welcoming him
tounge.gif

Yes, the Bible is The ultimate book of directions.

My YM used this acronym tonight that I think I will use from now on to refer to the Bible: Basic Information Before Leaving Earth

It's not about WHAT you do, it's about HOW you do it. You're not expected to kick all the ass and be number one, it's not a race or a popularity contest. It's about what you do with what you got.

As you know, sometimes the world puts you in a position where the best thing you can do is go down swinging. It's the fact that you embraced your fate and rose to meet it that makes you a warrior. A warrior doesn't cry about what he can't change, he doesn't rely on others to pull his buns off the fire and he takes responsibility, above all, for both what he's done and what he's not done.

Eon

Why would anyone want to spend thousands of years in limbo waiting for Judgment Day, when they could get an instant ticket to a real afterlife? Had there been Heathen missionaries fourteen hundred years ago, that is the question they may have asked those about to convert to Christianity, or the Christian missionaries themselves. Needless to say, this may have been the very question Penda asked the missionaries that caused him not to convert ala Radbod the Frisian. Radbod of Frisia had one foot in the baptismal font, and was ready to be baptized when he asked, "Where are my dead ancestors at present?" Wolfram the Christian missionary answered, ""In Hell, with all other unbelievers." Upon hearing this, Radbod removed his foot from the font and responded, "Then I would rather live there with my honourable ancestors than go to heaven with a parcel of beggars ."

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why can't I have morals without having a religion?

There is no framework for morals in atheism.  Morality in atheism is based on a moving target of how you feel today in relation to the rest of the world.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know when I have done something wrong.

Based on what standard do you claim this?  Societies moral standards change with the ebb and flow of what ruling government decides them to be.  Sometimes they reflect what society wants, other times what they personally want.  There is no absolute right or wrong, just feelings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't go out drinking, using drugs, stealing, vandilising because I don't believe in God.  I don't do it because I think it is wrong

In Amsterdam it is morally acceptable to do drugs.  In China, it is morally acceptable for people in power to steal from their subordinates and in Thailand, you can have your way with a 13 year old and not be charged with a child sex abuse crime because it is acceptable.

So, whose morals are right soccer_12?  Seems to me that the morals you talk about are a byproduct of the culture you were raised in.  You understand women are equal because you live in a land that promotes it to be so.  You would most likely think differently if you were born in an Arabic country where women are considered second class.  And truth be told, if you were raised in the 1700's in North America, you most likely would consider women to be second class as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]because I know its wrong, my parents, my experiences have told me it is wrong

Here you pretty much admit your morality is based on the society in which you were brought up in.  And like it our not, the society you were brought up in, choose to accept the biblical morality as God commanded as its own at the outset.  Even the founding fathers that were not Christian figured that the biblical morality is better then nothing (in otherwords, better then what atheism offers) or what else was available.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No one is a perfect person but someone can be good.

By what standards are you being a good person?  Hitler thought he was being a "good" person by exterminating 8Million Jews.  I believe it was Stalin who thought he was being a "good" person by exterminating 13Million Ukrainians.  The Saudi's who flew the planes into the Twin Towers that they were being "good."  And those who continue to support their cause tout them as being "good" and just hero's.

Certainly, you don't think these people are good people, do you?  You have defined good for yourself as somebody who

[b said:
Quote[/b] ][tries their] best to be a decent person who abides by the law, [doesn't] do anything too hurt others and [uses their] conscience to decide if what [they do] is right or wrong.

hmmm...  I think that Mao Tse-tung would disagree with you.

Many horrible things have been done in the name and sake of religion. Even worse things have been done for the advancement of atheism.

Interesting points Soccer. Alas, based upon the fallible mindframe of youth.
Who is good? And why? I mentioned in another topic the US Supreme Court is unable to define an obscenity, so here I go into the obscenities (watch out, could get blue in here): Fujifilm! Photoshop! What the Half-Life? Glowstick you, you York memopad!"
And as time goes on, those words do become less and less a title or a colloquialism and become something dirty and profane. So what's a swear word today was not in the days before. ####= Ship High in Transit. Merely an acronym. But, what we would say they shipped high in transit was ####. So it's #### that's the swear word now, not merely the acronym on the crates of manure.

It's considered immoral, crude and in bad taste to swear, but we do it often. I do, too. It's something that I do. I don't like it, but it slips out more often than not.

I was a "good" person too. I mean, geez, I was an angel. NOT.
Okay I will continue this later.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]colloquialism

been a while since i heard that word.

on topic. peon all your points are correct.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ultima Avatar @ Jan. 21 2004,6:55)]Welcome Chris, and Atown, that's his avatar, not sig.
I like the first part of Fleck's better though...sounds like something I'd say. Chris' is just...morose.
hrm.. do you really feel my signature is morose? I don't mean it to be. It is just something I have come to realize as I walk through this life. It used to be dark and forbidding, I was lost and confused. I didn't know where to go next, who to trust, what to do. Nothing seemed real, everything was some how fake. I wondered why I was here. I often asked myself if this was my life. I found that I didn't enjoy things the way I used to, I couldn't talk to people the same way. I started to destroy friendships. But that has all changed. I have found the most wonderful friend in this world and she has helped me overcome all the darkness. It is an on going battle but I now have control and I know that this is all real and that this is my life and I have to live it for all its worth. Also reading The Bible, going to Church, accepting Jesus Christ as my lord and savior, trying to live a better life, helping others in need and finally finding where I belong I have come to realize that there is darkness in everyones life and if you have not been there yet, you will never truly feel happy. Because you can not know true happiness without expierencing true sadness. So I am sorry if you think it is morose.

Thank you all for welcoming me, I have been looking for a place like this for a while now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Bible tells us that all who accept Christ are given a place in Heaven.  

So my statement that I'm promised a place in Heaven, because of Christ's blood is correct. It's not mine because I do good things, it's not mine because I have nice hair.  It's mine because I've been washed and cleaned by Christ.

Kidan, I have talked about that with a friend and thought about it, you are right. It is just I feel I have to do more than accept Christ as my lord and savior to have a place in Heaven, I guess that's just me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Kidan, I have talked about that with a friend and thought about it, you are right. It is just I feel I have to do more than accept Christ as my lord and savior to have a place in Heaven, I guess that's just me.

It's a trap that numerous people fall into, and one that televangelists use to fund themselves. God made the plan simple and easy on purpose, because no matter what we do, it can never be justified or a 'good enough' work for Him.

In the same vien though, you are correct. Salvation is a continuing work. I can't be washed in the blood on Sunday, and spend every other day of the week in sin. While salvation is by faith, it's shows up in your life by the good works you do, and basically by following Christ's example in your life.

Kidan I find thats what Catholics due. They feel as long as they can go confess their sends to their priest and they can life however they want to for the rest of the time. I totally agree with you though bro, we need to be continually worshiping and spreading the word.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ Jan. 22 2004,4:31)]Salvation is a continuing work. I can't be washed in the blood on Sunday, and spend every other day of the week in sin. While salvation is by faith, it's shows up in your life by the good works you do, and basically by following Christ's example in your life.
Yep, dead on. Paul talks about this pretty poignantly in Philippians 2:12-13:

"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed - not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."

[/QUOTE]poignantly
wow another big word
tounge.gif
. on topic. chris i also offer to help u with other questions that may apear, though i might have to refer to dead aim :p . and as kidan said it is a trap. the thought of having to do more than accepting and following God, is a trap that works easyly, yet what else is there but following God and accepting Him?

\yeah if you knew chris he likes to use big words all the time. And he says them very faster which makes your head wanna blow off on a friday afternoon!
wow.gif

lol, i like big words like supacalifragalisticexpaladotous.

Back