What Bible translation do you use?

It's interesting you use the word "fire." In one of the books I'm reading for class, the author uses the word fire to prove a point - fire doesn't always mean fire...as in, the hot burning flame. So there are places in the various translations that people get bent out of shape about the fact the original text says (whatever word) but the translation doesn't specifically match... because the translation committee chose a formal or dynamic equivalent word.

For example, if a person calls the fire department and says "I'm on fire!" it means they're burning.

If someone is playing basketball and says they're on fire, it means they're on a really good streak.

If I fire a gun, it means I discharged the weapon.

If I get fired, it means I lost my job.

If someone gets fired up, they're excited (or upset)

If I fire off a letter, it means I sent it.

If I fire clay, it means I am baking it.

If I play with fire, I am taking a risk against the odds.

That's why "translations" like The Message may be helpful for young readers, English as a second language folks, etc. They may not know all the nuances, or have a difficult time understanding references.

Dynamic equiv translations could be useful because of words like gay. We read "gay" as "homosexual" but many years ago, it meant "happy" and had no connotation to sexuality. So reading a verse that says something about gayly blah blah blah would be a distraction to the reader - so the translation teams modernize the word choices to be pertinent and understandable to the modern reader.

Unfortunately, American English is a melting pot of language and slang from around the world, so our language changes drastically and quickly. All the recent translations are aimed at keeping up with society and using different translation ideals based on what they believe to be the best method.

There are advantages and disadvantages with each theory and application. That's why I have previously stated that there is no one single perfect translation that everyone should use. What's good for you may not be good for me.

For example, I have no desire to try to decipher Ye Olde English, Hebrew, Greek, or Latin... and I prefer one of the equiv. translations over paraphrases or direct for my base studies. Then I break out other translations from other translation theories to see how others said it.

I have really enjoyed the HCSB - it has a good commentary you can get, as well.

Thank you so much for this comment! I love my ESV and will reference the KJV but I have a huge issue with the KJV only movement. The KJV is a translation of the Greek and Hebrew (gods one and only true inspired word) just like the rest of the translations. Fact remains that it's simply in another language. There are words in there that mean something totally different today than they did back then. Also the 1611 KJV was revised in the 1700's to make it more readable. I was saved reading the NIV while serving in the army in baghdad Iraq in 2003. Thought I wasn't coming home so I figured I'd better pick up a bible and learn what's inside. I read in Matthew where he left and followed Jesus and something inside said I must do the same. I place my faith and trust in Christ that he took my place on that cross and took my punishment for his sin and my life has never been the same since. I am a new creation. No doubt some translations are weaker than others however to actually say a translation is satanic is utterly wrong. Here's why- Jesus himself said a kingdom against itself can not stand. Therefore it's impossible for a bible translation to save and still be satanic all at the same time. Also in the end times the word of our lord will be spread to the four corners of the earth and wherever you go on earth the message of Christ will be available for all the hear and be saved. I strongly feel our lord is using all of these translations to do just that. The KJV translators themselves said the KJV is not gods inspired word. Just a translation of it. Actually at the time people were saying about the KJV the same things they are saying about the NIV today. They were against it because they thought it changed gods true inspired word. Which is the Greek and Hebrew text. The goal of reading the bible is to understand and apply gods word to your life. You can't apply if you didn't understand. I actually had a guy in the study group I lead tell me he couldn't respect anyone or any man cause Jesus didn't. Come to find out he was reading a KJV- the verse saying Jesus was not a respecter of men. The word respect means something totally different today than it did back then. Another thing about Jesus saying depart from me I never knew you... Yes this will happen. But the key part of that verse is him saying I never knew you. Which means to these people Jesus wasn't really their savior, they didn't know him on a personal level. He was just someone that they did good deeds to please. They didn't place their faith in him as their savior and they didn't have a relationship with him. This has nothing to do with the translation you use. They all say the same thing. You must believe with your heart and proclaim with your lips that Jesus is lord and you will be saved. Having said all that I have nothing against the KJV. It's beautifully written. There's just many parts of it I don't understand and when I pick up the ESV the lightbulb goes off in my head and I say "oh that's what that means, now I get it!" Then I can apply it to my life and grow in my relationship with Christ! Also if the KJV is gods only true inspired word what about those that speak other languages? I have yet for someone to show me a true contradiction in the newer translations. Also Jesus said we will know a message to be true by its works. The works of these translations are saved individuals and changed lives. I've seen it with my own eyes. Relationships healed, addicts not longer addicts, people with hard hearts become soft and repent people that you never in a million years would think could do that. All of these were people that never picked up the KJV. I'm sorry but the works of our lord are true and every man be a liar. We can pick apart each translation of the bible cause non are perfect. They are simply translations of gods true inspired words in the Greek and Hebrew texts. We should thank him for that we have so many available to help us understand his true word. The fact remains that satan will use gods word to try to trick us just as he did to Jesus in the wilderness. He will and can use any translation to do this in the mind of man but the translation itself can not be of satan or it simply wouldn't save. Again a kingdom divided against itself will not stand!

Personally I use a few different versions for cross referencing :) I tend to use the NIV, NLT, NKJV and NCB. I've never really seen the point of still using the KJV, the language just seems out of date. Its not as if its anymore accurate than other translations (given it is itself a translate) so why complicate things by making it harder to understand just so that it sounds like Shakespeare XD

Back