What Bible translation do you use?

XionTawa

Ever since I can remember, I have read KJV and NKJV...well...with a few of the Bible apps on my iPod I tried out some others due to always having a hard time reading the Bible, I came to the thought that maybe I just need something a little easier to read... So I tried out some other translations, and some were much easier to read and it was a lot easier for me to pick up and read on a daily basis... I just wanted some recommendations on "Good" translations to check out, and what you guys use personally...thank you :)

ESV

Its one of the most accurate so its great for study. It retains a poetic feel to it that makes it fantastic for memorization and daily reading.

http://www.esv.org/about/intro

The English Standard Version (ESV) Bible is a new, essentially literal Bible translation that combines word-for-word precision and accuracy with literary excellence, beauty, and depth of meaning.

“After preaching out of the same version for over 10 years, I switched to the ESV Bible. I find it both accurate and easily readable, which is a rare combination.”
Francis Chan
Pastor, Cornerstone Church, Simi Valley, CA

“We are building all our future ministry around the ESV…. The ESV satisfies the preaching, memorizing, studying, and reading needs of our church, from children to adults.”
John Piper
Pastor for Preaching and Vision, Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota

--Also the recently released ESV Study Bible is arguably the best study bible ever made.

“The ESV Study Bible is the most important resource that has been given to the emerging generation of Bible students and teachers. The ESV Study Bible is the best. Period.”
Mark Driscoll, Preaching Pastor, Mars Hill Church, Seattle, WA; President, Acts 29 Church Planting Network

Last edited:
A friend gave me an ESV as a gift before we left Canada, been using it for about four years now. I like it tons since I don't have to read dated vocabulary, for sooth. My family still uses the KJV mainly, it's neat to help put what's said in a different way (mainly Old Testament verses.) It does omit some of the Lord's prayer though (but hey, at least it doesn't murder it like the Message.)

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best -- as above, so below.

Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
You're in charge!

You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

/facepalm

I have an ESV. I like it a lot. I still keep my NASB as my primary Bible, though. If memory serves correctly, it's slightly more literal a translation than the ESV.

Taking a class that, among related matters, discussed translation theory and some of the translations out there today, has affected my views of some translations. (Side note: This was at a pretty conservative school.) I used to hate on translations that used a dynamic model (capturing the idea of the text) rather than a strictly literal model of translation. Not so much any more.

I still favor literal translations with good source texts, such as the NASB and ESV, but I consider the NIV a good translation. I even have, and like, my NLT. Somehow, despite my previous contempt for the Message, I even appreciate it as it was intended to be: a reader's paraphrase of the Bible and study tool (getting someone's interpretation of the text). I just don't recommend it for in-depth Bible study as a primary text since it is, after all, one man's interpretative paraphrase (though he is a very smart man).

Not tl;dr version: I <3 NASB. I also like ESV a lot. I use from time to time, to switch things up, NIV, NLT, and Message.

Edit: I've been needing to start up a new Bible study for myself, and I think I may do a parallel reading of the Message and the NASB. One of those "see it for myself" things.

Last edited:
The pew Bible in our church and my main Bible for memorization is NIV

The best Bible for adhering to the biblical languages is NASB

The Bible we use when working with youth is NLT - particularly the Life Application Study Bible.

I, like others above, like the ESV a lot.

In my personal devotions I use the Message - because it is different than I'm used to and it doesn't have the verses marked.

A new translation I am starting to really like is the HCSB - Holman Christian Standard Bible.

Yesssssss. Indeed.

The more I use it the more I like it. They did a great job and it comes with a decent commentary (I use a version in my Bible software) - plus a dynamite interlinear Bible to boot.

My usual Bible is the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I quite like it. I got it maybe 3-4 years ago? I like having a NASB version to reference though.

My usual Bible is the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I quite like it. I got it maybe 3-4 years ago? I like having a NASB version to reference though.
Ember sighting!

My print Bible is NKJV but I use HCSB for my Verse of the Day posts. I have a smaller NIV Bible handy for travel.

sometimes i feel like the ESV is like this years fad version of the bible o_O lol

i personally like kjv, NASB and amplified alot. Bible in Basic English is a pretty tweaked out one but gives good perspective.

ESV
Its one of the most accurate so its great for study.

This is a statement of opinion and not a fact. Ewoks knows how I feel about this so I am quoting his total depravity here. :)

The best Bible translation is the one you will read consistently.

I have study plenty of Greek and Hebrew and the original texts. I find that most of the reputable translations we have are sufficient for study and daily reading.

The person who I studied under, who knew the most about languages and the Bible combined was found of saying the French translation was the best she had ever seen.

So as far as translations go...... Just read it.

This is a statement of opinion and not a fact.
Yes of course, but it is not just my opinion.
http://www.esv.org/about/endorsements
Some of the most amazing scholars and theologians of this day speak to its accuracy. Check that link of endorsements....pretty fantastic.

The best Bible translation is the one you will read consistently.

So as far as translations go...... Just read it.

That is a good comment, love it!

I have study plenty of Greek and Hebrew and the original texts. I find that most of the reputable translations we have are sufficient for study and daily reading.
Couldn't agree more.

The person who I studied under, who knew the most about languages and the Bible combined was found of saying the French translation was the best she had ever seen.
But now I need this French translation.

And to learn French.

Of course, I jest. Then again, I really do wanna learn French.

sometimes i feel like the ESV is like this years fad version of the bible o_O lol

I think part of that is because the team behind it (crossway) has a amazing group of developers. They have produced tons of great web and media material to make the ESV very accessible. I remember about 8 or 9 years ago I had the ESV on my website as a daily verse widget. They had produced a bunch of neat blogging tools way back then, like mouse over for verse pop up and a quick search tool. Made it super easy to get it up and running, and it was all official stuff, not 3rd party.

Last edited:
Typically, I use the NRSV for study, and the NLT (New Living Translation, not to be confused with the Living Bible) for free reading.

The reason I use the NRSV is because it was mandatory to use at my college. Why? Because of all of the students they surveyed, it was the least used. So they felt it would be better if, when the students studied, they were confronted with something that they hadn't seen before.

I followed that logic, and still do.

Yeah - the 'hadn't seen before" rationale does help you take a closer look at what you are reading. In our bulletin I use a wide variety of versions to help people stop and think.

I primarily use the NIV for leisurely reading. I also use the NKJV. I have a comparative study Bible that includes the NIV, KJV, NASB, & Amplified all in one 3000+ page book.

You are right about that.

I remember when I could pick up my Greek and/or Hebrew and read directly from the original texts. We were required to preach from the Greek in seminary. I was able to read from each for about six or seven years.

But...time and work and life came along...and I lost it. If you don't use it you lose it. Ahh...those were the days. Now I retain just enough to make good use of the helps.

Back