What Bible translation do you use?

We, as infallible as we may think we are (or the Bible translators), are bound to mess a few things up. No translation is 100% exactly right.

I tend to give God more credit than that. I figure if He is able to create everything then He should be able to keep His word perfect. No matter how infallible we are.

Either He doesn't want us to have His perfect word or He does. If He does, where is it? If He doesn't, why not?

The number of Christians tortured and put to death over the doctrine of baptism by the Catholic and Protestant churches clearly shows that doctrine is important and makes a lot of difference.

His perfect word is the Logos - Jesus Christ - not any translation of the Bible..

All the argument over the 'perfect translation' didn't mean anything to the early believers. They had no Bibles. The KJV didn't come along until 1600 years later. All they had was what was told them - never perfect - and the love of Christ - always perfect.

It has only really been a little over 100 years that people actually had Bibles to carry around and study. God's word - as given to the original authors - was perfect - infallible - inerrant. God has protected his word through the ages so we can have the truth - infallible and inerrant - BUT - with every single translation - through all the ages - not one has been perfect.

I saw a video today about how some people cherished the printed word of God so much it puts most of us to shame. Take a look - you might enjoy it.

I saw a video today about how some people cherished the printed word of God so much it puts most of us to shame. Take a look - you might enjoy it.

I'm pretty sure that these people put all of us to shame.

Book of Eli is another good movie about how far one goes to preserve the Bible (granted it's fiction).

Last edited:
Book of Eli is another good movie about how far one goes to preserve the Bible (granted it's fiction).

I liked that movie, right up until the point where they put the bible on a shelf next to the koran and a bunch of other books. There wasn't anything special about the bible itself, it was just another "holy book".

The number of Christians tortured and put to death over the doctrine of baptism by the Catholic and Protestant churches clearly shows that doctrine is important and makes a lot of difference.
I think you misunderstood. No one here has said that doctrine is unimportant. On the contrary, I believe it to be extremely important. My argument was that it is just as easy to twist the KJV to support bad doctrine as it is any other translation/paraphrase.

I liked that movie, right up until the point where they put the bible on a shelf next to the koran and a bunch of other books. There wasn't anything special about the bible itself, it was just another "holy book".
Which begs the question, how come those other books were saved and filed already? Did they require the same level of effort or had they managed to rush out the door with those bundled under their arms when the end came?

Regardless, the message of the Bible is not meant to be kept secret (especially from evil men) or on a shelf.

...Which begs the question, how come those other books were saved and filed already? Did they require the same level of effort or had they managed to rush out the door with those bundled under their arms when the end came?

Regardless, the message of the Bible is not meant to be kept secret (especially from evil men) or on a shelf.

I think that it is a huge compliment to the Bible's importance that it arrived last and under such circumstances.

I think we can infer that the other religious books got there faster because people considered them less important. (Also, in the film, most Bibles were destroyed... so I think it's safe to say that the other religious books did not arrive under equal duress.)

I think you misunderstood. No one here has said that doctrine is unimportant. On the contrary, I believe it to be extremely important. My argument was that it is just as easy to twist the KJV to support bad doctrine as it is any other translation/paraphrase.

The old computer saying, Garbage in = Garbage out is what comes to mind.

The odds of getting corrupted or bad doctrine increases the more corrupted the Bible we use. Even satan was able to corrupt the Words of God in the Garden of Eden thus proving it's possible to corrupt the pure Words of God. But, again, the more corrupted the starting version, the more probable it is that the doctrine and beliefs will be corrupted.

As I pointed out earlier, the Bible states that the way of a fool is right in his own eyes. We each feel we are right. I hope those who feel its not important what version we use are correct. If they are and the only thing that's important is our intensions, we should all be in good standing before Christ. If however, I (and the Ana-Baptist martyred by the Catholic and Protestant Churches) are correct then as the Bible states, wide is the gate and many there be that go therein because many will stand before Him hearing the words "depart, I knew you not" after explaining all the good things they did in His name.

Two things, Wolfeman, just for clarification:

1. Are you suggesting that people who don't use the KJV will hear the words, "depart, I knew you not"?

2. Anabaptists pre-dated the 1611 KJV. Whatever Bible they were using it was not the KJV. In fact, it was the religious authorities and translators of the KJV who persecuted of the Anabaptists.

1. There will be numerous Christians in Heaven who will hear "depart, I knew you not". Your denomination and bible will not be the deciding factor. it will be what you placed your faith in. Most will hear it because they placed their faith in their good works and in their heart.
What I am saying is this. The King James Bible is the pure, incorruptible, inspired and preserved Word of God. It will show you the pure and perfect way to Heaven. However, there will still be those with it that will miss Heaven. There will be those with other translations that will be in Heaven. But the further away you get from the pure word, the greater the possibility you will miss it. In the Garden of Eden, satan changed the Words of God just a little and you see where that got us.
2. Basically, only two Christian groups claim to trace their roots back to the Apostles and the early church. Catholics claim this thru Peter as the first Pope and Independent Baptist claim this thru groups collectively known by their doctrine and practices as Anabaptist (Paulicians, Henricians, Petrobrucians, Albigensians, ect).
Anabaptist history is fairly one sided as they were constantly being attacked and martyred by the Catholic church. This included erasing their history. (History is written by the victor). Protestants as they came out of the Catholic church and eventually each other continued these attacks.
The Bibles and texts used in the King James 1611 come from the Anabaptist line. The Bibles and texts used for today's translations come from the Catholic church and the translators hired by the Catholic church.

1. There will be numerous Christians in Heaven who will hear "depart, I knew you not". Your denomination and bible will not be the deciding factor. it will be what you placed your faith in. Most will hear it because they placed their faith in their good works and in their heart.
What I am saying is this. The King James Bible is the pure, incorruptible, inspired and preserved Word of God. It will show you the pure and perfect way to Heaven. However, there will still be those with it that will miss Heaven. There will be those with other translations that will be in Heaven. But the further away you get from the pure word, the greater the possibility you will miss it. In the Garden of Eden, satan changed the Words of God just a little and you see where that got us.
Do you have any examples you could provide that would show how the Gospel has been corrupted in the different translations?

If this truly is the case, shouldn't you be using the Greek and Hebrew texts? Because every translation is going to be slightly different from the original due to language differences.

Thanks - that clarifies what the basis for some of your comments are.

I'd suggest doing a bit more historical research before you become so dogmatic about the KJV.

And Paul is the one who got sent to the Gentiles... NOT Peter. The Catholics cannot truly trace their roots to Peter.

And Paul is the one who got sent to the Gentiles... NOT Peter. The Catholics cannot truly trace their roots to Peter.

Correct. Peter was involved more with gentiles than other initial apostles and generically can lay claim to the first gentile conversion (Cornelius) but Paul was the only one who claimed a special commission to the gentiles.

Catholics claim Peter as the first Bishop of Rome and therefore the first Pope. However the Catholic church didn't truly come into existence until Emperor Constantine claimed to have seen the burning cross in the sky and then made "organized" Christianity the state religion.

The gap between the apostles and about 300AD is the same gap every group claiming apostolic succession has trouble with.

Arguing that the Bible has been tainted, misconstrued from its origins, incorrectly translated, etc, etc, etc is rather silly in my opinion. Every edition aside from the first has been written by mankind... of course it isn't absolutely correct. It's a silly argument to make - similar to making an argument that cement is hard and how diving onto it from a balcony will cause bodily damage.

...However the Catholic church didn't truly come into existence until Emperor Constantine claimed to have seen the burning cross in the sky and then made "organized" Christianity the state religion.

That, sir, is incorrect. Constantine only made Christianity legal (largely because of his mother); the emporer who succeeded him (can't recall the name) made it the official state religion.

Guys, everyone knows that Jesus actually spoke Elizabethian English and there is only one true bible translation, despite the many known translation errors in the KJV.

Seriously, though, I prefer to have something that is easy reading (NIV/ESV/etc) but also have others handy. Livechurch.tv has a nice app if you have a smartphone/etc with reading plans, multiple translations, etc.

As far as as physical bibles, I have to say that I like big bibles and I cannot lie.

Guys, everyone knows that Jesus actually spoke Elizabethian English and there is only one true bible translation, despite the many known translation errors in the KJV.

Ok, I smiled. Thank you, I needed that.

Seriously, though, I prefer to have something that is easy reading (NIV/ESV/etc) but also have others handy. Livechurch.tv has a nice app if you have a smartphone/etc with reading plans, multiple translations, etc.

I have to agree. I typically use several translations when I'm studying... and quite often break out my Strong's. It's interesting and insightful to look at all the different ways the individual words could be used. It can help to understand a specific passage when it's just not making sense. (Like, Romans 12:8...how exactly do you have a spiritual gift of "being merciful"? Aren't we all called to be merciful (Mt 6:12)? Knowing other uses of the same word help make sense of it.

I'll leave you to study and see what you come up with. I already know what I believe it says. I want to hear your interpretation based on the KJV only.

I'm spoiled. I use Bible software (WordSearch) and have 13 translations and two interlinears open all the time. Everything from the KJV to The Message. I agree, Durruck. They all help bring light on the Word.

I've actually done Bible studies where all we used were different translations to help us understand what the Bible is saying and what it means. That was enlightening for most of the people - they didn't know they could figure it out by themselves if they just read different versions.

Back