[Weekly - W] Now Playing

Still Puzzle & Dragons and Monster Strike.

XFlag announced the return of social media co-op to Monster Strike, so MS may reclaim some veteran players. My interest in MS has waned, but I might even consider installing LINE on my personal phone (now that Android supports more granular permissions) and give online co-op a try.

Meanwhile, Puzzle & Dragons received the 9.1 update (a.k.a. the "Co-op Everything" update) in NA this last week, so I've been playing on lunch breaks and as time allows. Running dungeons in co-op costs half the stamina of running the same dungeons in single-player, so many more players are motivated to play together now.

Now that my wife and I completed a week of FRANTIC cleaning to get the house ready for my parents to visit, I'll likely try to pick up where I left off in Yakuza 5.

Since last I posted, I played/finished Until Dawn which is one of the few times in recent memory I've finished a game and thought "that justified having this console." Given that it's basically a love letter to fans of horror movies, I'm doubtful that many here would enjoy it, but my goodness was it an exceptional experience.

I've made some ground in Final Fantasy II, but the inability to get stronger by success is really getting to me. The game is, I dare say, too easy up front, so my defensive/life stats didn't go up. Now I'm having to go back and intentionally all-but-kill my characters time and again to make them stronger. Not a grind that I particularly like. Which is too bad because I actually like the game and the "get better by practice" approach to stats; I just wish that you could also get better by successfully stomping mobs, not just taking critical damage.

Also, started on Batman: Arkham Knight. It's a bit different in some ways from my experience with Asylum and City, but I'm still becoming a fan. Batmobile mechanics are interesting.

And also started on Final Fantasy Brave Exvius on mobile. It's much of what I love from Brave Frontier with fixes to things I didn't. Not sure if units can drop in battle like they can in Brave Frontier, though; I'll miss that if the only way to get units is through the draw system.

Shroud of the Avatar (Dev+ Access), Everquest 1 (Vox), Entropia Universe (Calypso).

Sometimes Everquest 2 (Skyfire) since I still have a lot of stuff there, but that's quickly losing ground to SotA.

Still Puzzle & Dragons!

Fits of Monster Strike here and there.

And I'm playing Pokemon GO! Kinda. I'll play more when the temperature starts to drop. Sorry, Pokemon just ain't worth a heatstroke.

And some days I remember to log on for daily bonuses in Pokemon Shuffle. Most days, I don't.

I've been playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on the Wii U, most often with my older daughter watching. I'm probably 55-60% of the way through the game now.

And my daughter and I still occasionally play Rayman Legends on the Wii U, but we're out of new levels that aren't races, so we're not playing as often.

Late to the party, but since last posting, I finished Arkham Knight (slogs in repetition occasionally, but all things related to narrative are fantastic; also, it actually makes a compelling argument for becoming a completionist with a post-story story) and finished Final Fantasy II.

Urgh. So many great things for Final Fantasy II on paper, but they don't pan out very naturally or enjoyably in practice. Worth my time to play it. Really want to play some SaGa games now to see how the system has been since refined. Still, also glad to be able to check it off my "play all the numbered Final Fantasy games and their sequels" list.

Now, I'm mostly playing pinball, but I'm working on finishing Chrono Cross (I'm probably around 2/3rds through according to walkthrough chapter headings--I like to gauge how much farther I have) and am super excited to start on Neverwinter PS4 soon.

GW2? Check. New content? Working on it. More coming on 26th. Klondike when insuffecient time for GW2. Trying to get to Kerbal Space Program more since tutorial and grandson been here. Need to sign into
Steam to download Kerbal and Plague Inc since the new comp is on line. How can I have so little time when I am disabled/retired?

Now, I'm mostly playing pinball, but I'm working on finishing Chrono Cross (I'm probably around 2/3rds through according to walkthrough chapter headings--I like to gauge how much farther I have) and am super excited to start on Neverwinter PS4 soon.
If you've managed to avoid spoilers so far, stay the course. Late game will pack a greater punch if you don't know what's coming.

If you've managed to avoid spoilers so far, stay the course. Late game will pack a greater punch if you don't know what's coming.
I've been hit with a couple really cool surprises because I avoid spoilers, surprises that make me appreciate this as a truly worthy sequel to its heritage. I have only used walkthrough references to gauge roughly how far into the game I've gotten.

Street Fighter V, son!

That's what I've been playing most of. Got it from our local library (libraries carry games now?), and I've been pleasantly surprised. Also been playing Battlefront (bought with trade-in credit at Gamestop), which has not disappointed at all at this point, and a tiny bit of Transformers: Devastation (which was $9 at Redbox...gogogogoget your own copies for Platinum-made first-gen goodness).

But yeah, Street Fighter V. @Tek7, it does seem like Capcom actually plans to stick to their "we're releasing a platform" claims. I've also just about earned enough credits to buy Alex without spending a real-world cent simply by playing the character trials. Season Pass seems like a good move, to be honest, but buying my fave for free is hard to complain about. And mechanically, it plays really well. Definitely feels like an improvement over SFIV. Guilty Gear is still my favored fighter overall, but there's room in my heart for both. :D

PS: I saw a Warehouse Deals-sold copy of SFV for $19.50 just now on Amazon. Assuming you have Prime, that's the best I've seen so far. Good price, @Tek7. ;)

Last edited:
@Kendrik I doubt I'll pick up SFV any time soon, if ever. My FightStick has been wrapped up safely for several months, untouched. If and when I break SFIV out again and if I find that I'm not as terrible as I remember being, then I might pick up SFV on some crazy sale.

Besides, my backlog is already crazy long without adding in fighting games (which I always wanted so badly to be good at, but could never invest the time and my natural talent is, well, non-existent).

I have been playing--surprise, surprise--Puzzle & Dragons and Monster Strike. I tried Final Fantasy Brave Exvius but it didn't even hold my interest through the tutorial. (Sorry FF, fans. I wanted to like it. I really did.)

I would be playing Pokemon GO, but it's been WAY too hot here to go walking for long distances and that's exactly what I need to do to hatch two 5km eggs. Considering I haven't even launched the game in about 2 days, I suspect that will take some time.

For what it's worth, I'm notably better at SFV than I remember being at SFIV. 'course, I'm also better at 3S and A3 than I remember being at SFIV. lol

Hear you on the backlog thing. Biggest reason I'm reluctant to get back into fighting games with any measure of seriousness (or, y'know, any form of game that can't be in some real sense finished), but, then again, the ability to sit down and have a play session that can fit any span of time is hard to complain about.

...of course, that's what sleep functions on PSP/Vita/3DS are also good for. :D

Finally down loaded a bunch and have Steam set up. Made sure I have GW1 to go back to, and the oldy Sacred. Of course Kerbal Space Program is a set and so is Plague Inc. Now to find the time. Being retired/disabled does not guarentee more game time.

Playing 20XX on occasion.

I deleted GW2 because it was becoming too much of a distraction and only playing minecraft when my wife or friend is playing to keep myself from playing too long.

Playing heroes of the storm with the wife and roommates at least 1x a week and I don't mind that one since it does feel highly competitive and good team cooperation.

I deleted GW2 because it was becoming too much of a distraction
Sheer blasphemy, GW2 is never too much of a distraction. Too much is not enuf.

Haven't gamed much in the last week, so my selections are still roughly the same: Mostly Street Fighter V (unlocked Alex! Time to drop Power Bombs!) and Transformers: Devastation. Reeeeeally appreciating the latter, too. Makes me excited to get Platinum's TMNT game on the cheap at some point, even if it's supposedly not like old TMNT arcade games. Game just feels good, and, I mean, it nails G1 Transformers aesthetics.

Got a tiny bit of Destiny in, and thinking I'll be playing more of that soon to get my Year Two Moments of Triumph before Rise of Iron comes out.

Too many games, not enough time.

Buying my own copy of SFV may very well be the last new-retail game I buy for quite a while, though; the whole baby on the way thing means financial priorities shift. Fine by me. ;)

How are you enjoying 20XX so far? That looks like one I might enjoy, so I'm curious.
I love 20XX . being a big megaman fan, i love the adventure platforming.

it still isn't nearly as refined as it needs to be but I got a steam controller and its totally awesome :)

I do think you should have applied to them for the writing position though. There hasn't been any improvements in that area of the game development

I do think you should have applied to them for the writing position though. There hasn't been any improvements in that area of the game development
Maaan, that sounds like fun, but I haven't written anything aside from forum posts in a long time and I don't know if I could justify cramming anything else in to my schedule when I already feel guilty for not doing more around the CGA and ToJ. :(

Glad to hear 20XX is fun, though! I'll probably pick it up on a sale or as part of a bundle one of these days, even with my backlog.

EDIT: Oh, as for what I'm currently playing:

Still Puzzle & Dragons.

Barely any Monster Strike.

I sometimes pick up my daily bonuses for Pokemon Shuffle. Sometimes I don't.

I tried Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and Moebius Final Fantasy recently and they're both very pretty games, but I just can't get in to either of them, which is likely just as well.

I snuck in one match of Splatoon this last week, only to discover that more than half of the players in the match were max-level (50). I really enjoy Splatoon, but I feel like with the end of Splatfests, I missed my opportunity to play the game while it was "hot" and I squandered the $36 I spent on it. I really want to be wrong.

Still stalled on Yakuza 5. Want to get back to it soon.

Back