TotC 10 --> Icecrown

Hi Guys,

Sorry to cut in on your conversation, hope you don't mind....much. ;)

I'm currently in a hardcore raiding guild but just found CGA and will be finding a better home shortly.

That said, our guild has cleared ICC 10 and 25 so I know a bit about the fights, especially since I've done them all twice, once on main and once on my alt.

The only real surprises we encountered that couldn't be overcome on the fly were the giants which emerge on the first boss and the mark assigned to a random player on the 4th boss. Both wiped us once.

The giants were easy to overcome once we knew they were there, had an OT pick them up and it was over that fast. The mark on the other hand, from the 4th bosss, does heavy damage and must be recognized instantly by a healer who will then be healing that person spam style.

If not, the player will die quickly and heal the boss causing the fight to become much much harder, unlikely the raid would be able to succeed if that happened. Maybe later when our gear is better but not now, least not in T-9'ish gear.

ICC requires heavy dps and heals from what I've seen, bring this or suffer the consequences. :p

Looking forward to Friday Night. I should be back and available. I won't have been able to farm new badges for upgrades yet...but I'll try to get caught up quickly on new gear. I should be home for awhile.

A reminder that I will be a few minutes late as usual , should be logged on by 7:15pm at the latest though.

I had some experience in there the other day so thought I would post some info from a DPS view :)

Marrowgar: Really straight forward as DPS. Stay out of the big blue fire that spreads out and switch to target the person who gets impaled with the ice cone ASAP regardless of who it is. (This happens a lot so having someone call out “Ice” or whatever is great so you can switch and get them out fast then back to the boss to DPS). Also the boss will do a whirlwind like move every so often and will move around where the DPS is, just move away from him if he gets close to you. You can still DPS during this time but there is an agro reset as soon as he finishes the whirlwind so stop DPS’ing just before the end of the whirlwind so the tanks can pick him back up.

Lady Deathwhisper: There are 3 mobs that spawn on one side of the room and then the other, one of them immune to magic damage and one is immune to physical damage. So we had 3 DPS and at least one tank on the adds during the first phase, the DPS was melee and Magic based so they could take down there mobs, the rest of the DPS just stayed on the boss getting down the shield. A couple of times they fell behind just a little (If you take to long to kill the 3 the next 3 will spawn on the other side anyway since it’s a timed event) so they would call out “more ranged on X mod” or “more melee on X’ whatever was needed. Once the shield is down on the boss you finish off any adds still up and then focus on the boss. The only other add at this point is ghosts that spawn, you have to run away from them cause as Alan said its 30K damage. If you don’t pay attention to one and it comes up and touches you … well your dead, and its an AE explosion so if anyone else is near you they may be a goner too. This 2nd phase is when she will use deadly frost bolts; they take a few seconds and seemed easy enough to interrupt. So interrupt frost bolts, stay away from ghosts, dps boss is 2nd phase,

Gunship Battle: This is a fun fight! It seemed the simplest of them all and I would compare it to how flame Lev is compared to the other uldaur bosses. We had two DPS using the cannons, a tank picking up the adds coming over and the other tank and 2 DPS were the “boarding party”. So what happens is the DPS using the cannons (I did a cannon myself) just targeted the mobs on the other boat and kept firing, when your cannon is about to overheat you use “2” and you fire a fireball type shot and it resets the heat on your cannon to zero so you can keep firing, if you keep firing normally and it overheats your stuck not firing as it cools itself off which takes 5-10 seconds of doing nothing.

The other DPS are standing near the edge of the ship blasting the mobs on the other ship, when they board our ship the tank picks them up and the DPS can just AOE them down, Once in awhile the captain of the other ship will call out for a “Battle Mage” this NPC comes out and freezes our cannons knocking the two DPS in the cannons out, At this point the “Boarding party” (1 tank, 2 DPS) use there rockets to jump to the other ship and take down the battle mage, while there over there the captain will attack and the tank picks him up and whatever other mobs attack the 2 DPS (the battle mage just stands there channeling), as soon as the battle mage dies they rocket back to our boat ASAP. The two DPS that were knocked out of the cannons can help DPS any mobs on our boat during that time or if its empty stand on the edge and DPS down any mobs they can reach on the other ship until the Battle Mage dies which then the cannons become un-frozen and they can use them again. For us the healers never left our boat, one just stood on the edge when needed to heal the “Boarding party”

Saurfang: As Alan said getting the Blood Beasts down quickly is Key. When the Blood Beasts hit anyone they also add 1 energy to Saurfang so you need to kill them fast and not have them hit anyone. (When Saurfang gets enough energy he casts Mark of the champion on someone which is nasty damage, also if you die with the Mark on you Saurfang is healed 5%) We did it with 2 DPS on each side for each Blood Beast, you can slow, root, do whatever to them, just need to do it fast. Once there Dead switch to the boss to DPS and then Back to the Beasts when they spawn again. We didn’t get him down as he has an 8 minute engage timer, so if he is gaining health it can take too long. Once the tanks got better at switching fast away from the Rune of blood it got better and we got him to 7.5% before we wiped. The boss got moved slightly and instead of the blood beasts spawning to the left and right of him they spawned in front and behind which caused a little confusion at first as to which DPS team was pulling which one, if not for that we would have had him :)

Anyway a little wordy but hopefully it helps a little

Good run last night and lots of fun. I think we learned much and did well despite our late start - sorry about that. Lord Marrowgar is down and our next battle is Lady Deathwhisper and her trash. Read up on strats when you can please. Next week's run will be Sat. the 26th due to Christmas falling on Friday.

See you then!

not sure if u guys knew this but there is 2 sets of mobs one that takes very little damage from the spell casters and one that takes very little from the physical/melee it is very important to know which one they are, when we do this fight we only have the casters switch if if the guys that are immune to melee transform to the skelys since they must go down right away, we do have 1 caster on the adds and 2 on the boss taking down the mana. look up the names I cant remember which is which this will help u with adds

Good run last night and lots of fun. I think we learned much and did well despite our late start - sorry about that. Lord Marrowgar is down and our next battle is Lady Deathwhisper and her trash. Read up on strats when you can please. Next week's run will be Sat. the 26th due to Christmas falling on Friday.

See you then!

yea that was fun. Good times.

Lady Deathwhisper

I've been doing some reading on tankspot.com and learned that many guilds have struggled with this fight. So pat yourselves on the back for a job well done on Monday night when after many wipes we finally got her down. I pulled some great info from a post and wanted to share it here:

Source: Panzerr
a) Can the Adherent-Shield (Shroud of the Occult) be purged/stolen/whatever?
Source: tuffmuffin
A) No. The shield deflects all such spells as the description implies, and must be burned through by physical DPS. Goes down quite fast from single target, and also note you can stun-lock Adherents to prevent more.
I also believe Mass Dispell has no effect even though it is not a direct targeted spell, you could try it but DPS should be able to burn through the shield anyway provided you have a decent balance of physical and magic DPS. Spell reflect mechanics only work on directed spell effects, you can't reflect an AoE.

b) One wipe, our tree claimed he was silenced for a while. The only thing I can imagine this could come from would be Dominate Mind. Did they insert this into the 10-man encounter with 3.3a?
B) The only real "silence" from this fight is the Curse of Torpor that Adherents cast. It adds an additional 15 seconds to all ability cooldowns (Instant casts become 15 sec cooldowns, if the ability had a 6 sec cooldown it becomes 21, etc.) and must be decursed ASAP. There is no MC in 10-man.
Also note, DRUIDS CAN DECURSE. This should be their number one priority during phase 1. They likely need to invest in an addon like Decursive and learn to use it because there really is no excuse for a class that can decurse to not decurse themselves. This is a serious case of a player only performing part of their required raid function. I hate to say it but they either need to learn to play their role or be replaced. A raid has no chance of success if people can't perform the required duties.

c) The 10-Man video suggests that all casters dps on the shield, while melee/hunters take care of the adds - unless they mutate (get empowered, transformed, resurrected and what not). So melee and tanks do the Adherents first and then the Fanatics (tanked)? I'm wondering because this differs from everything i read/saw so far.
C) There are numerous ways to do the fight. One of which is to have melee zerg the adds while ranged (throw Hunters around with either) DPS her. Find whatever works for your guild and stick with it.
Physical DPS has to be used on adherants because there is a chance at anytime for a spell reflect shield to show up that could easily kill a caster in combination with other damage done by the boss. Adherants are caster mobs which do not require a conventional tank. Just stun lock and burn it down with melee DPS. An actual tank only gets a minor mitigation bonus to spell damage (so instead of the spell hitting for 8k, it hits for 7k, not a huge difference). When adherants are reanimated they become 90% immune to magic damage. Fanatics are melee mobs that have to be tanked, they actually hit hard so tanking stats (armor, dodge, parry, block) all come into play. These adds can be killed by physical DPS after they have killed all the Adherants, though magic dps can be used on them as well. When Fanatics are Reanimated, they are 90% immune to physical damage and MUST be killed by magic damage. WHen Fanatics are Deformed, they must be killed by magic DPS and kited (they hit much harder when deformed and heal significantly). If you are having problems dealing with the adds, you likely should have ALL your DPS switch to them when they spawn, kill them fast, and then all switch to the boss waiting for the next wave to spawn.

d) Is it possible to drain the mana-shield of Lady Deathwhisper with Viper Sting / Manaburn e.a.?
D) Yes, but keep in mind that said abilities are capped at a percentage of the caster's mana pool. It's more effective to do a normal DPS rotation.
Statically it is never worth while for a DPS to do this. A discipline priest running with like 30,000 mana and speced into Improved Mana burn would be doing the equivalent of 4500 DPS to the boss. You need a very large mana pool and have to be speced into Improved Mana Burn for it to be even considered. Generally though your DPS will be higher than the effect of Mana Burn, so a Shadow Priest would never consider it.

@log. Wow, does that Mark hit for a LOT of damage (Saurfang!) At times, the DPS with the marks would take more damage than the tanks did over to course of the whole battle. I'm awed.

Remember with the Mark they have the dot ticking and get hit for 5k or so everytime the tank gets hit. I"ve been able to beacon and keep the first person with the mark up...the second is just too much health loss for me to overcome for very long.

It is CRITICAL to keep the person with Mark alive. If they die, Saurfang regains 5% of his health, which makes the fight last that much longer, which in turn increases the likelihood that he Marks additional people.

[7F]LarryBoy;366801 said:
It is CRITICAL to keep the person with Mark alive. If they die, Saurfang regains 5% of his health, which makes the fight last that much longer, which in turn increases the likelihood that he Marks additional people.
We downed him with only Two Marks up, having a Disc Priest (Wend) was a big help in the fight. We need to hone our strategy so our Ranged don't move around so much though, it caused a big drop in their DPS.

We have our healers stand on the centerline near the teleporter. This way healing aggro will initially draw the beasts down the middle, keeping them in range of ranged dps on both sides of the platform. Obviously once dps pours into them, they're going to peel off one way or the other. We don't try have anyone kite them, just focus them down and move away if they come close. Our DK will also Chains them as much as possible, and our offtank will even run around and taunt them if a tank switch is not imminent and they get close to a ranged. The platform counts as outdoors, so druids can also root the beasts.

Festergut!

Hey Everyone,

BossKillers.com has a great Festergut Strat. Guide up: http://www.bosskillers.com/cgi-bin/bbguild/index.cgi?action=view_guide&guide_id=734
Raid Composition - 10 Man:
2 tanks - This encounter requires two tanks to rotate tanking Festergut throughout.

2-3 healers - Your raid will want healers that are all fairly flexible in their role, as the amount of damage taken by both the MT and the raid will vary widely over the course of the encounter, making it necessary to adjust healing to compensate. It is much better if you can get away with 2 healers and bring a 7th DPS, due to Festergut's berserk timer.

5-6 DPS - There are no particular skills such as interrupt/CC/etc. needed in this fight, so any DPS will do as long as they are adept at moving quickly when needed while maintaining good damage output.
Please check out the link for the full article. This fight is a big time Tank, Healer, and DPS check. He hits very hard with three stack of Inhaled Blight (20 - 25K). He also has a 5 minute enrage timer. So, let's break that down:
  • Festergut has 9,412,000 HP.
  • Five minutes = 300 seconds.
  • Raid DPS to take down Festergut needs to be > 31,375DPS :eek:
In other words, spend your Emblems of Triumph & Frost, run ICC Heroics if you need to, and keep upgrading your Purpleez Shinies! :D

Last edited:
with fert have 3 range stand outside and everyone else on his legs, make sure if u have a range go down that a fourth range gets out there fast and it is a simple tank spank with moving to the tank if the person is in close or to the person in the middle of the range for the range when they get the spore

Last edited:
What Rhys said. The key to this fight is going to be keeping the tanks up once Festergut has inhaled three times. Once he's done this he's hitting the tanks for probably 20000 damage every 1.2 seconds or so. This is a good time to use Damage Reduction cooldowns, such as Shield Wall and Pain Surpression. The healers are going to want to pop their haste/spellpower cooldowns and trinkets as well.

I'm not a tank, but maybe if the tanks stacked stamina for this one, it would give the healers a bit of a larger buffer?

Back