The Power of God

Hey All,
I wanted to post a praise that seems kind of "little." Here it goes:
That's it. I am new to this sharing thing but I am trying to expand! :cool:

T7....
that is by no means "little" That is great. I actually had to live with my in-laws for a week or two, so I understand. Funny how that makes ytou pray harder isn't it? ;)
Thanks for sharing, As I have said before, I love talking about and hearing about what God does for us. It helps remind us that not only is our God alive, but he cares about us all, if we just give him a little time.

Last Sunday, (7/30/06), I stood up and gave a testimony at church….here is a quick testimony and the result thereof. (This is not a religious discussion I apologize if it is too controversial, It was just an event)

Background:
I go to a Pentecostal Church (UPC). Some of you may not know this, but the UPC doesn’t think that women should cut their hair, they should ALWAYS wear dresses, and they cannot wear makeup and jewelry. I don’t make my wife or daughters follow these “standards”, and our pastor doesn’t preach them (therefore I am not disobeying my Sheppard, he is fully aware of my beliefs), but many of the older saints follow them and judge people that don’t.

Testimony Synopsis:
Basically I said that we, as Pentecostals get judge by EVERYONE, because we either have wide open worship, dress different, or act different (Prayer language and healing ministries, among other things). But aren’t we guilty of the same…we judge people because they don’t “dress right”. I was filled with the Holy Ghost, just as the original church of 3000 on the day of Pentecost. Thank God for that gift, and witness so that others may experience the same. Don’t turn them from God by judging them.

Result:
One of the Elders in the church stood up and said Brother Tony is right, we should thank God for the gift of the Holy Ghost. He never mentioned anything about the judgmental attitude that goes on in the Pentecostal denomination.

Further Result:
Our Pastor, this Sunday, (8/7/06), Preached on receiving gifts and salvation through Jesus. Not through our works, or how we dress. Not focusing on what we do right or wrong, but by focusing on Jesus. Many of the older saints squirmed a lot, it made them uncomfortable. But talking to a few other Pentecostal friends that attend other churches, it seems as if there is a movement to do away with some of these “standards”, knowing that those things will not get you into heaven. This has been going on stronger than ever for a couple of months now. I did not know this when I gave my testimony at church…God has just been laying it on my heart. Even my Mother-In-Law, who is an old time Pentecostal, now agrees with us…that is a miracle in itself…Trust Me.

PS...

I don't consider myself or my family as Pentecostals...We are Christians...First and Foremost. We just happen to attend a Pentecostal Church at this point in our lives.

I did want to clarify that...I believe that many times denominations and religion get in the way of our Christianity...So I always claim to be Christian...not a particular denomination.

I just wanted to thank T7 and Ash for sharing!

T7 - Awesome about your job!! That is indeed no small thing. I am fairly new to sharing as well. I will pray for your situation!

Ash - I really don't know what it is like anymore to belong to a demonination. My wife and I attend an Independant Bible Church. I think it is great that there is a movement to focus on Jesus and not our man made standards or works in your church. Sometimes messages like that make people uncomfortable because they might be feeling convicted, but that is what refines us and makes us more mature spiritually. I will pray that it continues!

Ash - I really don't know what it is like anymore to belong to a demonination. My wife and I attend an Independant Bible Church. I think it is great that there is a movement to focus on Jesus and not our man made standards or works in your church. Sometimes messages like that make people uncomfortable because they might be feeling convicted, but that is what refines us and makes us more mature spiritually. I will pray that it continues!

I pray that it continues also...and as long as I have breath...I will be there to help lead this movement in whatever way God sees fit :)

Conviction is a funny thing isn't it (I've walked out of a service before feeling like my toes were broken from being stepped all over...hehe...but I thank God for it.)....but it does make us more refined spiritually, without it we would never grow.

aka Ash...

Your post really stuck out to me....I was raised in UPC churches (Dad was a pastor). In light of that, I can relate to how amazing the changes in your church are. That's great to hear.

Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread too much, but I'm currently a part of an independent Pentecostal church - my Dad left the ministry (and church) altogether, and after a hiatus when he got stationed in Las Vegas, I moved to where I am now and found this church through my relatives. We'll have to chat sometime.

Last Sunday, (7/30/06), I stood up and gave a testimony at church….here is a quick testimony and the result thereof. (This is not a religious discussion I apologize if it is too controversial, It was just an event)

Background:
I go to a Pentecostal Church (UPC). Some of you may not know this, but the UPC doesn’t think that women should cut their hair, they should ALWAYS wear dresses, and they cannot wear makeup and jewelry. I don’t make my wife or daughters follow these “standards”, and our pastor doesn’t preach them (therefore I am not disobeying my Sheppard, he is fully aware of my beliefs), but many of the older saints follow them and judge people that don’t.

Testimony Synopsis:
Basically I said that we, as Pentecostals get judge by EVERYONE, because we either have wide open worship, dress different, or act different (Prayer language and healing ministries, among other things). But aren’t we guilty of the same…we judge people because they don’t “dress right”. I was filled with the Holy Ghost, just as the original church of 3000 on the day of Pentecost. Thank God for that gift, and witness so that others may experience the same. Don’t turn them from God by judging them.

Result:
One of the Elders in the church stood up and said Brother Tony is right, we should thank God for the gift of the Holy Ghost. He never mentioned anything about the judgmental attitude that goes on in the Pentecostal denomination.

Further Result:
Our Pastor, this Sunday, (8/7/06), Preached on receiving gifts and salvation through Jesus. Not through our works, or how we dress. Not focusing on what we do right or wrong, but by focusing on Jesus. Many of the older saints squirmed a lot, it made them uncomfortable. But talking to a few other Pentecostal friends that attend other churches, it seems as if there is a movement to do away with some of these “standards”, knowing that those things will not get you into heaven. This has been going on stronger than ever for a couple of months now. I did not know this when I gave my testimony at church…God has just been laying it on my heart. Even my Mother-In-Law, who is an old time Pentecostal, now agrees with us…that is a miracle in itself…Trust Me.
It sounds like they may be wanting to convert over to Assembly of God...w00t! (that's my fav denomination...an offshoot of the Pentecostal Church without those pesky 'standards' you mentioned :p )

I know where your coming from Ash. I am always having to explain what a Christian is. A Christian is a true believer/follower of Christ a Religious person is someone who claims to be a Christian because it is convienent or their Parents were Christian but who have not accepted Christ as their savior sadly 50% to 90% of churches are made up of these of people.

Which is why I am not a big fan of Denominations. I recently went to a church the pastor was great they had a missionary there speaking and it was a great service till the missionary made fun of 3 other denominations. I was not nor ever was a member of any of the 3 mentioned but it is attitudes like that that keep the church from making a difference in the world and it drives me nuts. I will agree there are some denominations that I feel maybe better than others but that does not mean that they are lesser Christians. Oops started ranting there my bad.

Dredd

In that vein, I'm not a big fan of the term "religion" at all. Too many times people focus solely on "religion", and the man-made baggage (traditions, non-Biblical rules, whatever it may be) that goes along with religion. That can get in the way of the ultimate goal - a relationship with our living God! :)

Religion is a tool, not the focus.

Anyway, here's to relationship over religion.

Off my soapbox now :)

Back on topic:

An old story, but when my Mom went into labor with me, my Dad was told by the doctor to pray for my Mom, because it was difficult and he was certain they'd lose me, if not both of us.

My Dad called the pastor to the hospital and prayed. At the time, I was given an APGAR score of 0.5 (for those who don't know what that is, it's a scoring system for newborn babies. A score of 7-10 is considered normal, while 4-7 might require some resuscitative measures, and a baby with apgars of 3 and below requires immediate resuscitation.) At best, if I survived, I'd be a vegetable.

Anyway, my Dad and the pastor prayed, and I was born with no problems. My Mom was fine. The baby the docs predicted would be at best a vegetable turned out to be a relatively normal computer geek. :)

Last edited:
It's funny. No matter how many of God's miracles I've witnessed or heard about, His power still amazes me. Why?

1 Corinthians 1:25
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

This just happened to me so I felt the need to share it as soon as I could...

I went to the doctor today, and I hadn't been to that medical office since 2003. When I went to check out, they said my account had a large credit on it from my last visit in 2003. They said it appeared that I had paid a bill and my insurance also paid that same bill. I have no recollection of ever paying that bill since it was covered by my insurance. To top it all off, the office had just gone through all their records and paid off the outstanding credits earlier this year! The cashier was really really suprised, and so was I! I thank the Lord for that blessing!

Another healing…

I have a little sister (I say little, she is like 19 years younger than me.) Anyhow she broke her leg. They put a temporary cast on it, and was going to replace it after 4 weeks. 2 days before she was supposed to get the replacement my mother called and asked us (my church) to pray. It was a pretty serious break and could have left permanent damage. Of course I replied. There was a great move of the Holy Ghost at church that night, and we prayed for my sister. She went to the doctor that next morning. My mother called that night and said “What did you guys do?” I said “Ummm…what do you mean?” She said “Your sister went to the doctor, they removed the cast, did X-rays, and the doctor came out looking confused.” She then said “I was frightened at what he was going to tell us.” I just kind of chuckled, because I KNEW what was next. She said “The doctor told me there was no break, he couldn’t even find evidence that her leg was broke. What did you guys do?”
“nothing Mom, God did it. We just prayed.”
My Mother, who was never a really strong prayer warrior said “well from now on when I need a prayer answered, I’m calling.”
“Of Course Mom, but you can pray just as well and God will listen.”
“Well you seem to have his ear” She said
“We all do Mom.”

So at first she called all the time for prayer, now a lot of times she prays on her own, but she still calls for prayer occassionally, (there is strength in numbers:)).

*note*
My mother and sister live 1000 miles away.

God knows no distance!

W00T! I love hearing stories like that.

We had a great service Wednesday night. Service ended, and a rl friend of mine stayed at the altar praying afterwards. We were there until a little bit before 11, but she was filled with the Holy Ghost!

W00T! I love hearing stories like that.

We had a great service Wednesday night. Service ended, and a rl friend of mine stayed at the altar praying afterwards. We were there until a little bit before 11, but she was filled with the Holy Ghost!

w00t...another Soldier in God's Army...

My 2nd youngest son was filled with the Holy Ghost about 2 or so weeks ago. He stayed at the alter, hands raised, crying, and praising God for about 20 minutes...then WHAM!!! It was awesome :) Then he asked to get baptized in the name of Jesus...I praise God.

sweet...

one of the guys in my cabin this summer (i forget what week) after worship came into the cabin and said, "I found God tonight." just as calmly as could be. i just said sweet, or something like that, then said a quick prayer of thanks in my heart. that just about made my day.

sweet...

one of the guys in my cabin this summer (i forget what week) after worship came into the cabin and said, "I found God tonight." just as calmly as could be. i just said sweet, or something like that, then said a quick prayer of thanks in my heart. that just about made my day.

Isn't it just awesome when someone comes to the Lord. It always brightens my day knowing someone out there is experiencing the love of God for their first time.

Back on the school supplies & uniforms (my kids go to public schools that require uniforms).

At church they said they were taking an offering for a family that needed some help, so my wife and I took the last $20 we had on us, and put it in as a special offering for this family that was in need.

Then My mom sent a card saying God impressed on her to send some money for school supplies....she sent $250. w00t!!!

Then last night the church gave us $130, the money from the special offering we collected for last week. So we got our money back plus more. double w00t!

Supplies and uniforms are covered...Praise God, he always supplies our needs.

We're doing a refinancing on our house, and the first part of the money didn't come in until Wednesday.

On Monday, our bank account zeroed out, literally. While waiting for my business to take off, we've gone through our entire savings (not that we had that much). After the gas light on my car lights up, I know I can go about 5 miles (due to my own stupidity one time). The light came on Monday morning after my first successful appointment, I dug in the center console for money, and I put $0.30 (that's 30 cents, folks) of gas, one tenth of a gallon, into my car which was running on fumes, drove about 10 miles home, waited until Tuesday, drove 3 miles to the title company, got the first part of the refinance money, drove 2 miles to my bank, deposited the check, drove home, waited for the check to clear, and on Wednesday, I realized that I had about a gallon of gas in my lawn mower's tank, so I poured that one in and got us to the gas station, where I was able to fill up.

There is no way I should have gotten ten extra miles out of 1/10th of a gallon of gas. I have long believed that God was going to zero us out financially before blessing us. I didn't realize that BY zeroing us out He would show us His power.

Back