The Help a Newbie Thread

It looks like you already went thru the academy. What you are describing is post-searing. That's when things get interesting. I have two characters that are in the Old Ascalon area (Dalamar Tekendis and Kalannar Tekendis) Dalamar is a N/Mo and Kalannar is a Wa/Mo. I will be on tonight around 5:30 MT. I also have a El/R that is trying to get Ascended. Look me up.

Mike

ya i know Disneyland is in Anaheim, but thats where the Ducks are and i cant assosiate The Greatest Place on Earth with the DUCKS! :p

oh and Susan: just for clarification you are in Ascalon POST-searing. You are in the game game now. Its all hard core from here ;)

I guess I'm going to start a new character today. Somehow, with my first GW character, I managed to get to the post-searing phase without having done most of the quests and even without a clear idea of what happened with that whole academy thing. Kinda embarrassing because people keep asking me if I've been to the academy and if I did a PvP thing, and I have no idea! Maybe I just got killed right away before I had a clue what was going on? I understand you can die, lose and otherwise lose all dignity yet still progress to the next part of the game (post-searing).

So I'm going to spend the next couple of days building up another character to see what the whole pre-searing thing is about. I'll share my new character name, etc.

Any ideas of what type of character I should try? What's the easiest to play as a total newbie?

I'm thinking either: Ranger, Warrior, Elementalist or Necromancer. But I'm not sure which would allow for the easiest time of learning just the basics of the game which I sorely need to catch up fast on.

ya i know Disneyland is in Anaheim, but thats where the Ducks are and i cant assosiate The Greatest Place on Earth with the DUCKS! :p

oh and Susan: just for clarification you are in Ascalon POST-searing. You are in the game game now. Its all hard core from here ;)

Ok! It's Duck season! *bang* *bang* :D

(I might go back to pre-searing by starting a new character. I posted about this in my newbie thread. thanks for all your help. you rule!) [*edit* This is my Newbie Thread. Didn't realize!]

It looks like you already went thru the academy. What you are describing is post-searing. That's when things get interesting. I have two characters that are in the Old Ascalon area (Dalamar Tekendis and Kalannar Tekendis) Dalamar is a N/Mo and Kalannar is a Wa/Mo. I will be on tonight around 5:30 MT. I also have a El/R that is trying to get Ascended. Look me up.

Mike

Ok, I'll add you to my fl. Thanks!

And the lack of traffic, I have to imagine. :)

When we first decided to keep Sophie presear we were thinking about our obligation to help new players, but really Mirawyn and I both love the relaxing, low-pressure nature of presear and we really look forward to teaming up with people there.

Paul

That's so cool! thanks. :)

I never mentioned this but in games in the past such as Diablo 2, I always enjoyed coop play where I could be in a supportive role for the group. I don't particularly enjoy being a tank. But on the other hand, I often end up playing alone so I need a character that can stand on its own when it needs to.

I thought it might be fun to be en elementalist "nuker" (I'm reading about professions at the guild wars wiki! See I'm doing my homework). So that's where I'm at right now in my thoughts.

Any suggestions, please share. Good easy profession/secondary professions, builds, skills, etc.

I enjoy the monk role - healing in a party.

I also enjoy going out with heros or henchies - I just switch to a smiting monk and take support healer and protector with me. It's so much easier to do now that you can save a skill build as a template.

Be wary of the Monk role. In most PUGs (Pick-up Groups), no one has any idea what they're doing, but they think they do. If something goes wrong, everyone blames the Monk. It takes a special sort of person to resist that kind of ignorant hatred. That's why I'm a Mesmer--no one has any idea WHAT I do, so no one can blame me for not doing it right. :D

-Chadley

LOL - man, have I been there. Characters charge in by themselves before you can set spells - leave you to be attacked when you have virtually no defense - then die and keep typing, "Rez -rez -rez." Then it is the monks fault.

That's why I go with friends or heros mostly. I haven't done a PuG in a long time. Too much grief. But then - that's why I joined a guild.

yay Ele!

I love playing the monk! I think its the funnest character. You can practically do anything with them. And more often then not people i am with back me up when someone starts bashing my awsome monkness for their... lack of thought.. to put it nicely :). People have changed there attitude towards monks lately its nice.

LOL - man, have I been there. Characters charge in by themselves before you can set spells - leave you to be attacked when you have virtually no defense - then die and keep typing, "Rez -rez -rez." Then it is the monks fault.

That's why I go with friends or heros mostly. I haven't done a PuG in a long time. Too much grief. But then - that's why I joined a guild.

Tell me about it. I have tried to do this one quest with a PuG three times and each time we get near the objective they bail.:mad:

What a creative site - the guy knows the mind of the Monk. I had to LOL at some of those.

When we first decided to keep Sophie presear we were thinking about our obligation to help new players, but really Mirawyn and I both love the relaxing, low-pressure nature of presear and we really look forward to teaming up with people there.
That's SOPHIA, honey, not SOPHIE. Sophie is a two-year-old bundle of energy; Sophia is my sister's ranger. :)

The other reason Sophia is still pre-sear is that she is technically my sister's character. She rarely plays, though. Every now and then she logs in, and I delete a PvP character on the other account to play with her. Then I give Sophia my loot (or go pre-sear and transfer stuff) and delete the character.

Otherwise I just play with Sophia.

Last night, I created an elemental named Tir Zah. I was level 1 or 2 when I got bored and tried to go to the SOE guild hall. I could get the guild screen but when I tried to go to the guild hall, I noticed there wasn't any button for me to click on. And when I double clicked on SOE, that didn't even take me there.

Do you need to add Tir Zah to the guild roster or do something so that she can go to the guild hall? She's wearing a guild cape tho. That's strange!

I like this one.

Apparently the only person who understands what mesmers do is the enemy thumpers and dervishes. :D At least, they must, or why would they work so hard to kill us?

Last edited:
Enemy monks should have a pretty good idea too.......unless they really think that warrior did all that damage.....

Last night, I created an elemental named Tir Zah. I was level 1 or 2 when I got bored and tried to go to the SOE guild hall. I could get the guild screen but when I tried to go to the guild hall, I noticed there wasn't any button for me to click on. And when I double clicked on SOE, that didn't even take me there.

Do you need to add Tir Zah to the guild roster or do something so that she can go to the guild hall? She's wearing a guild cape tho. That's strange!

unfortunately, pre-sear characters can't go to guild halls. after Ascalon goes all ugly, then you'll be able to.

Back