The Help a Newbie Thread

soozun

I thought I'd start a thread to ask basic questions. If you truly don't enjoy answering dumb questions or helping people new to the game, then don't feel bad. Just click "back" and do something you enjoy more.

- What are the essential Web sites to study to learn more about GW?

- I have heard people refer to the first Guild Wars as "Prophecies" but I noticed that my game box just says "Guild Wars; Game of the Year Edition". Where does the name Prophecies come in to play?

- If there is anyone here who actually enjoys playing PvE with newbies, then please add my character to your friends list. My first character is Mahlah Leone [SOE] - R/Ne, and she's level 7 right now. I'm playing this game at odd moments when I get a break from my 24/7 job of taking care of my daughter. So I think I'd have to have a way to let you know I'm online when I get that chance. If you are maxed out on your friends list but still want to help, let me know your character name so I can add you?

More questions to come, I'm sure...

gw.gamewikis.org

- I have heard people refer to the first Guild Wars as "Prophecies" but I noticed that my game box just says "Guild Wars; Game of the Year Edition". Where does the name Prophecies come in to play?

No idea, but it's okay. You've got the right version.

Answering questions if fun. :D

1) I find myself on either of the two Wikis almost daily. The new, official one is at wiki.guildwars.com. The older, unofficial one is at gw.gamewikis.org. Both have nearly the same information. The older one has more info while the official one is prettier.

2) Prophecies is the official name of the first campaign which was made up when Factions (the second campaign) was released. It's just a way to distinguish between the different stories. I'd have to think about WHY it was named that...

3) There is almost always someone online willing to help out with missions. Just ask in alliance chat. I'm usually on with Chadley Bradley if you want to add me.

See ya!

-Chadley

As C$ said, Guild Wiki is probably the most useful one, info on anything and everything.

ArenaNet has started their own wiki at wiki.guildwars.com. I like it a little better in some ways, but the data is a little less complete so far.

I used to use several other sites, but most of the time, the wiki is the only place I go now.

One other site that is someone useful is the Guild Wars Guru forums, especially the Price Check forum. Their auction site is like eBay and is also useful for checking prices and, although I have yet to take the time to do it, sell valuable drops.

Prophesies is the name they added for the first chapter to identify it as they prepared the release for the second chapter. When you create a new character, you have to select which campain is home for that character and it refers to the first in-game as prophesies.

- If there is anyone here who actually enjoys playing PvE with newbies, then please add my character to your friends list. My first character is Mahlah Leone [SOE] - R/Ne, and she's level 7 right now. I'm playing this game at odd moments when I get a break from my 24/7 job of taking care of my daughter. So I think I'd have to have a way to let you know I'm online when I get that chance. If you are maxed out on your friends list but still want to help, let me know your character name so I can add you?
Has Mahlah Leone entered the academy yet? (I don't want to give away too much of the story line)

More questions to come, I'm sure...
Bring em on!

hehe, looks like Chadley beat me to a few of these while I composed my long-winded answer.

Ok I got one..
Is paying the $5 to make my game the "game of the Year edition" worth it? Are the items pretty sweet, or do they take up bank space?

Thanks for the links. I'll be studying this as I have time. I need to remember to balance my free time with some bible study and prayer too. (It's so cool that I can mention this...my whole life).

Mahlah Leone hasn't entered the Academy. I thought I was stuck but I realized I could talk to this one guy and spark a mission where I have to spy for the Charr army by going North of the great northern wall.

Ok I got one..
Is paying the $5 to make my game the "game of the Year edition" worth it? Are the items pretty sweet, or do they take up bank space?

I didn't realize there was something special about it. I guess it will be a surprise if I ever realize what you get that is extra. ;)

Soozun,
I'll help ya out whenever. I usually play at weird times (late mostly). You can find my character names in my sig. Just message me.

It has some decent weapons that you can use type /bonus to get them. They are max weapons and rare skins that you cannot sell to anyone.

i thought i made this thread..... oh wait it was n00b night or renamed: low level night

hey, soozun, if you see any of my characters in-game, (which is rare, 4-week old son takes up a lot of time) ask for help, i've got a char in pre-sear(before the academy) if you need help with anything there.

hey, soozun, if you see any of my characters in-game, (which is rare, 4-week old son takes up a lot of time) ask for help, i've got a char in pre-sear(before the academy) if you need help with anything there.

Congratulations on your new baby. I will definitely add you to my friends list. Thanks! I also have to care for my baby girl (well, she's a young toddler now), so I am having to get on and off at random moments.

Edit: That's one handsome looking little boy! I love the name Dillon. Good choice!

Last edited:
It has some decent weapons that you can use type /bonus to get them. They are max weapons and rare skins that you cannot sell to anyone.

That's good to know. Might not be useful now...but watch out. I'll have some higher levels soon.

i thought i made this thread..... oh wait it was n00b night or renamed: low level night

did you actually get together and play low level characters one night, or was it just a get help thread? Well if you want to play low level characters, add me on your friends list. I'm down for that!

When I was chatting with fellow guildmembers in the Guild Hall, I noticed that some of their messages had yellow (not gold) text. What does that mean? I chatted in the Guild Hall using the alliance chat, but I wondered if I was supposed to be using something more local to the situation. My choices seemed limited to the usual (all, guild, alliance, whisper, and whatever else there is.) So what's yellow?

Hi,

Im preety new to GW to, so if you see me online (Ka Ali or Eli Sol) maybe we can help each other out. Hope to see you online.

Phil

i have been playing GW for 26 months now. the only thing that i regret is that is i dont have a character before the academy. once you enter though i can help ANYTHING, add me to your friends list Mathias The Fighter. i look forward to helping you.
Joey.

i have been playing GW for 26 months now. the only thing that i regret is that is i dont have a character before the academy. once you enter though i can help ANYTHING, add me to your friends list Mathias The Fighter. i look forward to helping you.
Joey.

I'll add you. Thanks. I'll be looking for that Academy. :)

Back