State to Raise Tuition Costs by 77%

Odale

Georgia senators are considering raising tuition for its public colleges and universities by 77% for the coming fiscal year (FY2011).

What do you all make of this increase (I don't care if you live here or not, or go to school here or not)?

Source 1, Source 2

Hard to swallow for sure. Especially from a state that pays for some of it's own to go to college.

I would like to see the cost of state tuition compared to other states before making a judgement.

I remember getting a 30% rate hike while in school for my bachelors and a 50% for my Masters (that wasn't public).

Fire the rapidly bloating administrative positions and actually keep the teachers (that you know provide the revenue?). Top heavy bloat is what is ruining universities.

Fire the rapidly bloating administrative positions and actually keep the teachers (that you know provide the revenue?). Top heavy bloat is what is ruining universities.

thats nt totally true though, at research institutions like washington state university the undergraduates only provide about 20-25% of the budget

Yeah, and as much as it has nothing to do with academics, big sports teams bring in millions at universities.

Anyway, here's what I make of it: this is a direct result of the sudden cut in government funding. Regardless of whether folks were for or against "stimulus" spending (and really don't want to turn this into one of those conversations), it seems to me like these sorts of things are happening a lot lately. :( To me, the trend seems to be to pump money into things that will lessen the hurt today, regardless of the cost tomorrow.

Really, it just comes down to when you give somewhere, you are taking from somewhere else, and I'm very, very sorry to see that the barrier for post-high-school education is becoming much higher in many areas.

Forgot to add...this quote from the first source left me sad and angry at the same time:
If tuition has to raise by 77 percent, “so be it,” Harp said. “If we have to break the promise of locking in tuition, we have to break the promise. It’s not something we wanted but I cannot emphasize enough we do not have the money.”

I do want to punch that guy in the face, then kick him multiple times. (If that breaks any forum rules, my apologies, haha.)

I don't know why they want to raise tuition by so much. In one of my Psych classes today we talked about this (for almost an hour actually) and the professor said the more realistic increase would be around 20%, which still feels high of course. Georgia has some of the lowest tuition costs in the nation - it not an accident they are so low either (and the quality of education is not affected mind you :p).

Georgia could do so many other things to bring in money: raising taxes by a percent, legalizing gambling, and lifting the ban on alcohol sales on Sunday (yes we still have that law) and increase the excise tax on items would help as well.

Education is something you never want to cut imo...

Really? Raise taxes? For something that's optional and that you elect to engage in of your own accord? Perhaps you should ask the universities to spend less and better manage their finances instead. Then again, if it's that high - go somewhere else.

There is NO way they are having trouble bringing in money...I live close to Ball State, they claim they are having money issues, however they just gave the "dean" or whatever it is called a $30k bonus... It is funny how the economy has almost fully recovered but greedy people still use it as an excuse to abuse people...

Really? Raise taxes? For something that's optional and that you elect to engage in of your own accord? Perhaps you should ask the universities to spend less and better manage their finances instead. Then again, if it's that high - go somewhere else.

I am very much for lean government and do not like many types of assistance (aside from safety nets). That said, education is something I always have and will support. I think that the ideal is to give everybody an opportunity, and if they don't take it, so be it.

do not like many types of assistance

Please expand on this, because my employer offers me health insurance, at $200 a paycheck...my paycheck is usually $600 every 2 weeks (when I am not laid off), which barely pays my bills as it is... Food Stamps and Medicaid make sure I can feed my children and get them healthcare, because without the assistance plans I could probably afford some food, but there is no way I could pay for healthcare for my kids... I hope I misunderstood you in this...

XionTawa,
Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for bringing this up to give me a chance to clarify. I was being vague by saying "assistance", but re-reading that I wasn't being very clear. I guess to put things really simply as far as how I feel about the role of government...I think the government is involved in a lot of things they shouldn't be; someone else should. But if the government is going to involve itself, policies should lean towards encouraging good, discouraging bad. I am very much in support of supplemental-type assistance for folks who are working hard to feed their families - that's a "good" thing. I am for helping people get an education. I think that all children should have health insurance, regardless of whether their parents can afford it. It's not like children can pay for it themselves. I actually believe that some form of socialized healthcare wins out over the "I don't want to pay for them" in the greater good...although I think the bill in the works is terrible. Different subject, though. :)

I won't go into details of what types of things I don't support, but it basically comes down to programs that A) don't actually work or B) perpetuate or encourage bad/irresponsible behavior.

XionTawa,
Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for bringing this up to give me a chance to clarify. I was being vague by saying "assistance", but re-reading that I wasn't being very clear. I guess to put things really simply as far as how I feel about the role of government...I think the government is involved in a lot of things they shouldn't be; someone else should. But if the government is going to involve itself, policies should lean towards encouraging good, discouraging bad. I am very much in support of supplemental-type assistance for folks who are working hard to feed their families - that's a "good" thing. I am for helping people get an education. I think that all children should have health insurance, regardless of whether their parents can afford it. It's not like children can pay for it themselves. I actually believe that some form of socialized healthcare wins out over the "I don't want to pay for them" in the greater good...although I think the bill in the works is terrible. Different subject, though. :)

I won't go into details of what types of things I don't support, but it basically comes down to programs that A) don't actually work or B) perpetuate or encourage bad/irresponsible behavior.

Understood :)

Yes - I would gladly pay more in the way of taxes than have my tuition raised by an absurd amount. Education is a necessity in my opinion and not simply an option.

Last edited:
Yes - I would gladly pay more in the way of taxes than have my tuition raised by an absurd amount. Eduction is a necessity in my opinion and not simply an option.

Agreed, especially spelling! JK :D

Even if we discount helping our fellow man and look at things in a purely "capitalistic" sense...it behooves us to help in some ways. When someone else gets a vaccination or education, we benefit indirectly.

Am I missing something, Odale? You're for raising taxes to fund colleges, but against raising tuition. (I agree that 77% is way too steep, and breaking a promise is bad mojo...but whether it's a tax on all members of society or all members of the college, I see them as very similar means to the same end).

Then I also saw on facebook where you joined the group complaining about budget cuts?

If the college is going to be more fiscally responsible to avoid the 77% increase, why are you complaining that they're cutting programs that have the least perceived value?

How can you say that you don't want to pay more directly via tuition (but expect everyone else to pay more directly via taxes) and expect no less service when the budget can't support it? At the very least, the colleges would need to cut services until appropriate levels of funding is secured. As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

And I don't complain from the standpoint of some whiner that just doesn't want to pay more taxes, I protest from the position of someone that got student loans that required payments immediately after I graduated. No grace period, no deferred interest. I understand the overwhelming feeling of having to get loans to get through school. I think it taught me a valuable lesson about managing my budget because from day 1 I had to worry about making ends meet. Sure, I got to play in college, but I learned how to manage my household, too.

Great points, Durruck.

The main issue I have is raising tuition by such a high percentage that it hurts the students and the state because of fewer people getting higher education. I can understand an increase of around 20% and maybe a little higher, but not 77%.

I also understand that in order to prevent an absurd tuition hike, some under-performing programs must go and I am okay with that (to my knowledge I haven't said I am not okay with those moves).

I do expect the school to make accommodations to become more fiscally responsible. Currently the school is building a new nursing building and every night ALL of the lights are left on in the building which isn't opened yet! Numerous people have complained about it and today after the meeting at school something may be done to fix that.

I do not want to have to tack on an additional $2,000 to my tuition, I would rather pay for it in other ways... like through taxes. Everyone pays taxes, even college students. There are other things the state can do as well to help the deficit (I listed them in a previous post).

I also have a student loan through Suntrust. I wasn't smart enough in high school to get the HOPE Scholarship which pays for [most of] your college expenses (also if they raise tuition by that much then they would bankrupt the HOPE Scholarship, last year was the first year it operated in the red). So this does directly affect me once I am out of school and I will have to pay it all back. :)

Last edited:
I am very much for lean government and do not like many types of assistance (aside from safety nets). That said, education is something I always have and will support. I think that the ideal is to give everybody an opportunity, and if they don't take it, so be it.

Lower education that makes you a functional (somewhat) member of society - sure. Higher education - no. You go to secure a better profession (in some cases) - if the value isn't there for you to go, then don't go...but don't make me pay for you.

Back