State to Raise Tuition Costs by 77%

Odale said:
Homeschooling children I believe is too sheltered, they don't learn social rules at home by themselves as they would in public or private school.

I used to think that, too. But lately I've had a lot of exposure to home-schooled kids, and most of them tend to be more responsible, able to handle stresses of the world a lot better. They're not socially-maladjusted, etc. In general, I see that they have better attitudes, even years down the road. The one place that some of them may "miss out" is in athletics (altho there are ways to get them in sports, still). But to be honest, looking back 15 years, there was no benefit to my sports involvement beyond learning to work as part of a team...which I also learned in the classroom on group projects.

In addition, with more colleges and workplaces having online classes/work-from-home environments, the kids that are home-schooled tend to be...I don't know...more motivated? able to focus better? there's certainly something there that I didn't get from public schools.

I've definitely changed my opinion - I see homeschooling as a very good alternative for those that can't afford to do private schools and have a parent that's able to stay home.

Back