Playing Female Characters

For those who didn't look at the link:

BoingBoing said:
Ken sez, "In China, the massively multiplayer online game King of the World has banned all accounts of men who play female characters, and is requiring players to validate their gender via webcam in order to play females. (I wonder if women can play male characters w/o validation). Aurora Technology, the maker of the game, apparently stipulates in the Terms of Service that only female gamers can play female characters in the game."

Shanda (Nasdaq: SNDA) subsidiary Aurora Technology has frozen game accounts of male players who chose to play female in-game characters in its in-house developed MMORPG King of the World, reports 17173. Aurora stipulates that onl1y female gamers can play female characters in the game, and it requires gamers who chose female characters to prove their biological sex with a webcam, according to the report.

welll....what if a guy wore a wig and put on some make up...inahled some helium...and pretended to be a girl on the webcam? How are they gonna stop that? oh wait...i dont think i want an answer to that question...

i think statistically that 70% are really male..and the large number of females characters would say eitehr that any females that play have many accounts with many characters..or guys play as females.

I did say most, not all. But take a look around...

Dredd, Derk, Dorkelf, Prince Cor, Caspian, Baron Squirrel, even Vibro (when he played) all have female characters. Look how many female names appear on the guild list in-game...and we all know how few female members there are.

That would be an awful lot of banned accounts. Especially in Ascalon City and Pre-Searing Ascalon, with all those "females" dancing in their undies...

Dredd, Derk, Dorkelf, Prince Cor, Caspian, Baron Squirrel, even Vibro (when he played) all have female characters. Look how many female names appear on the guild list in-game...and we all know how few female members there are.

That would be an awful lot of banned accounts. Especially in Ascalon City and Pre-Searing Ascalon, with all those "females" dancing in their undies...
I wish they would let some of us be in-game "mods", so to speak. So we could run through the low level towns and when we see the people who do that we could quickly kill them off and make minions out of them (or golems, whatever your preference)

Somehow I get from this post that MM thinks Her [imaginary] husband and Dredd secretly get together and dance in their undies.

LOL

Not exactly what I intended to convey, Vibro...but oddly hilarious!

On the topic of King of the World's odd policy on female characters...One guy theorized it was intended to be a dating service and an MMORPG, all rolled into one. Am I the only one who finds that disturbing?

Internet + Relationships = Bad idea

What is even worst is when you mix in a game whereas you have something of value, people will abuse their sexuality and friends to get what they want. It is rather disturbing and shows just how amoral the world has become.

Want a perfect example of a screwed up world: Look at SecondLife. Unfortunately I opened up a business and it has cost me some of my sanity probably. I get hit with probably a couple dozen threats or attacks a month. I make about 15-20 dollars a day doing something I enjoy: programming. But I hate all the drama and competition that goes with it.

I need something new and interesting to do. I am bored out of my mind.

Back