kara: team Maskowitz

Thanks for the update. I ran Kara last night with Ron's group (Kyphus, Guilo, Berstromme, and more). Had great fun despite some crazy notion that my Hunter wears plate/can tank. Died quite a bit to the tune of a 13G repair bill... Got killed by a couple of single hits and carelessness.

Had great fun though - thanks to everyone for the run!

Best,

Artaoiz

yeah...sorry about Monday. We had a surge protector in place, but the lightning hit the power line right outside our place and proved to be too much for the modem to handle. Luckily both computers are in fine working order. Jason and I are gonna try to get things back on track tonight (july 11). That being said, the number of people John just listed as being away for the summer is gonna make it tough.
As much as possible we will be posting on GC when we know we will or will not be around as soon as we know whats happening.
The plan in my head is that we can continue to sharpen our skills in kara for july and august and look at making some attempts at ZA come early fall once schedules become more regular again (but before WotLK)

Double W00T!

So two things,

I must say thanks to Team Maskowitz and fellow guildies for our successful Kara run last night. I truly appreciate and enjoy running with you. Thanks for your patience and helping my toon gear up and grow to be a contributor. As we are not a serious raiding guild, each piece of new gear we get is just that much sweeter and fun.
That being said...I am less than 3000pts. from being exalted with Kara/The Violet Eye and Prince's bow [Sunfury Bow of the Phoenix] finally dropped:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terenas&n=Artaioz.
A very exciting and fun night for me!

Secondly, (or thirdly?) I look forward to the runs starting again as summer winds down in Sept. Maybe we can shoot for a goal of hitting ZA in Oct? Might be kind of fun before WotLK comes out.

I just wanted to thank everyone for a great 60% clearing run on Friday. (Will finish on Mon.) Dan (Atavus) joined us and we really breezed (except for a two-shot on Nightbane) through the instance.

I also wanted to take a moment and thank all the Team Masko regulars and my guildmates for helping me gear my hunter into a real DPS machine:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terenas&n=Artaioz

I now have a new buff: AotWGNH [Aspect of the Well-Geared Noob Hunter].

I truly appreciate the runs, fun, and comradery with you all in what has been less than six months of time.

Thanks and God Bless!

Zul'Aman Soon?

So we "breezed" through the rest of Kara on Monday night, quickly one-shotting Attunemen, Netherspite, Chess, and Prince. I didn't even suffer my usual multiple (or any deaths). Though for some reason I was under the misguided idea I could tank Attunemen... Thank you btw for the great healz. :eek:

We had a very strong group last night (again) and Dan <Atavus> at the end of our run made an interesting suggestion regarding Zul'Aman. I think our group is definitely ready. The only bummer with ZA is it drops less badges than Kara - but the gear is much better. With WotLK coming out in less than two months, I'd enjoy a few Team Masko ZA runs.

Thoughts?

ZA is something we have discusses a couple times actually. Our biggest concern has been precision execution and a bit of gearing concern. As people are picking up more and more Kara gear (as well as other Gruul/Mag/badge epics) gearing is becoming less of an issue. Also, I have to say, this past Friday/Monday's run was very encouraging as far as execution as the only boss we didn't one shot was Nightbane.
So what am I saying exactly? Well, with recent events, we will definitely talk about it again and I'm thinking in Oct we might start exploring some new territory for the Maskowitz run.

ZA is a harsh, unforgiving instance. I personally don't like it that much, but that might be because its loot list holds only one item for me :)

However, I'm more than happy to tank new baddies, no matter how harsh they are.

As John said, ZA is very unforgiving, so much so you have to be overgeared (meaning next to nothing worthwhile will drop for you) to get much past the first two bosses. That said, knock yourself out, it certainly is a challenge, albeit a humbling one....

well, finishing at 8:30 would be much easier if we started at 6:30

but really, maybe kara friday and ZA monday... potentially...

We have 2 bosses, 2 gauntlets and 1 timer down in our ZA group. We are working on the 3rd now.

Both gear & specc need to be optimal but I don't believe you need to be over-geared. But you can't be undergeared either or it will take you much longer to work your strategies out. Group config is also important. 3 nicely geared healers and If you don't have a pally tank, you will need the appropriate CC to make up for it.

Gear: Kara gear plus. My ZA toons have some t4, some kara gear and the badge loot. Blues/greens won't do..(Unless they are trinkets, there are a few good ones that happen to be blue) (It's not the color, but the stats)

With a lock in the group Wovenx has 18k health around 18k armor 20 dodge, 20 block and around 16 parry. He only needs 1-2 items in there, but that's not my main reason for going. It's the some what new challenges..and overcoming them. The gauntlets are really fun for a pally tank.

After running with your *core* group a few times..I'd encourage you to try it out. It won't take you long to determine for yourselves if you need to buff up a bit more gear, config or specc wise.

Well,

After a couple of really great runs, last night was not so smooth. I could sense the tension and frustration, but hey - this is still a game! ;) I look forward to the fellowship more than taking out the bosses. Thanks for the "bad-naked" toon dance last night Eric!
AotBNSD [Aspect of the Bad-Naked Streamer Dance] - a 3.0 Patch talent that got nerfed for some reason...

By looking at the posts above, Shade is one of the more complex bosses in Kara. We made a few mistakes but also got hit by some poor timing of wreaths, elementals, and such. Walked out of the instance with 4 badges less than I was hoping for (Shade & Netherspite or Illhoof). I'm confident we will regroup and take him down next week.

On a positive note, we seem to be having less trouble with Nightbane now and Prince is usually one-shotted.

Last edited:
Just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone on this run for the chance(s) I have had to go along. I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute. I am also trying hard to fill the shoes of a certain hunter (whom shall remain nameless) at the art of face planting!

My gear is starting to look ALOT better after just a few runs!

Thank You Team Maskowitz!!!

--------------
WOOT!! 100 Posts!!!!
--------------

Last edited:
Kara - One Night a Week

So based on discussion from last night regarding running Kara just one night a week (Friday), I am just fine (fwiw) with that. Honestly, I like the badges, but I enjoy the running with you all more.

Since we are just over a month away from WotLK, I would enjoy a trip or two to ZA. My hunter has never been there and I'd just like the experience. Any loot dropping would be a bonus. I think 90%+ of us who run Kara regularly are more than adequately geared for ZA. I'm guessing it's just learning the fights.

I think that going on just Fridays is better than the two nights, since I do have early classes on Tuesday mornings and really hate getting up. ZA sounds like a good idea just to see something new before the expantion.

It's wierd that I post as Leannan and now she's permanently Jason's character not mine. :(

I mentioned briefly after last nights run some concerns I've been having regarding attendance and continued interest in the Fri/Mon Kara runs. Unless there is a massive public outcry, the new run schedule will be: one more kara run this Firday the 10th with Kasiem leading (I am away) and nothing planned for Monday. The following Friday, the 17th, we will make our first excursion into ZA...
I especially hope that some of our core raiders will be interested in this new, lighter, scehdule. (looking at you Mr and Mrs Neirai :p )

I mentioned briefly after last nights run some concerns I've been having regarding attendance and continued interest in the Fri/Mon Kara runs. Unless there is a massive public outcry, the new run schedule will be: one more kara run this Firday the 10th with Kasiem leading (I am away) and nothing planned for Monday. The following Friday, the 17th, we will make our first excursion into ZA...
I especially hope that some of our core raiders will be interested in this new, lighter, scehdule. (looking at you Mr and Mrs Neirai :p )

Interesting timing with regards to the 17th. That will be after the new patch and the raid bosses will be nerfed by 30%. Should make it a wee bit easier for our first incursion to ZA. :)

TSA should be changed by then too with it being 10% of the Hunter's Ranged Attack Power (vs. a flat 125AP bonus) for the whole Raid group. That will effectively double+ the Aura from Artaioz.

Back