Interpret my signature.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Genesis1315 @ Oct. 03 2004,10:46)]So, with that being said, it seems like BiblosHex's sig is warning against having a completely open mind.
Yes, but context would seem to imply that it does not condone having a discerning mind as well.

Ahhh, and that is what makes us all different, the implication we can draw from a simple sentence.
smile.gif

Based on the way I read it, and that it mentions gates being unguarded, I interpretted it that one needs to take care of what comes in. The implication was that there was a way for information to come in. The information just needs to be checked before entry can be allowed.

Hmm. But the sentence says nothing about NOT having a closed mind. Worded as it is, and coming from Byblos, it seems to condone having one.

Gen, I don't really agree with your interpretation.

Let me try and break it down...

"An open mind is like a grand fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

A fortress is a stronghold, a large and permanent fortification. Think of a castle, the point of which was to safeguard those within. The quote is saying here you have a strong fortification, but what's the point since there are no guards and the gates are open? In other words, an open mind is unguarded and free to attack. THAT is what the quote means and THAT is why Byblos chose to use it, he believes that an open mind is a bad thing (as proven in his posts).

You need to neither leave the gates wide open nor completely bar them up. You need a discerning guard or watchman who can determine who's to be let in and who's to be kept out. (metaphor)

Yeah.. your all kinda right. The focus of the qoute which was originally worded for me by a game and I altered a tiny bit... Its aimed at those who accuse us CHristians of having a closed mind, Our mind isnt closed its just well guarded, while the accusers on the other hand usually let any amount of fodder inside intil its out of style or whatnot.... For example, This new lo-carb BS... And on the news poeple are finally realizing you need carboydrates as just as much as any other nutrient lol... What was that guy with that once popular diet? umm anyway his diet was such bullcrap. You would look OK on the outside but like him your insides would be magled, the diet guy died of heart trouble because he fell down a step... Not funny, but Ironic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ByblosHex @ Oct. 03 2004,10:01)]Yeah.. your all kinda right. The focus of the qoute which was originally worded for me by a game and I altered a tiny bit... Its aimed at those who accuse us CHristians of having a closed mind, Our mind isnt closed its just well guarded, while the accusers on the other hand usually let any amount of fodder inside intil its out of style or whatnot.... For example, This new lo-carb BS... And on the news poeple are finally realizing you need carboydrates as just as much as any other nutrient lol... What was that guy with that once popular diet? umm anyway his diet was such bullcrap. You would look OK on the outside but like him your insides would be magled, the diet guy died of heart trouble because he fell down a step... Not funny, but Ironic.
Byblos, in your estimation, what is the difference between a closed mind and a well guarded mind?

What do you choose to let into your fortress?

If you only let "Christian" values into your head, then you still have a closed mind. Don't think so? Turn the situation around.

If I, as a nontheist, only let atheistic views into my head, wouldn't you call me closed minded?

At one point in time Christianity and the Church as a whole believed the world was flat. They had their views and guarded them viciously. Their minds weren't guarded, they were closed, shut tight. In the 1600's Galileo asserted that the world was round, not flat. He faced incredible flak from the Church and was accused of heresy and imprisoned by the Church. He was eventually forced to plead guilty and deny his own doctrines. He was placed under house arrest and died 10 years later. Do you know when the Church officially exonerated Galileo? 1992! That's 350 years later.

Be very careful about the thin line you draw between guarded and closed.

Closed mind is a well guarded mind...
I dont only let Christian values into my mind, I let only what God tells me is OK

beilving the wolrd is flat.... there is absolutely nothing wrong ebaout that belief, sure its completely false, but who cares? Oh wow the Earth is a different chape then someoen thought. I dont care much for the world and its shape. So whatever argument makes more sense to me will be welcomed into my fortress, THe church is the church, I listen to God first, Logic second.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Closed mind is a well guarded mind...
I dont only let Christian values into my mind, I let only what God tells me is OK

A closed mind is just that CLOSED, not well guarded.  They are not the same, nor are they interchangeable.

What's an example of a non-Christian value that you have let into your fortress?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]beilving the wolrd is flat.... there is absolutely nothing wrong ebaout that belief, sure its completely false, but who cares?

So do you believe that the world is flat Byblos?  Actually, it doesn't matter, I will henceforth refer to you as a flat-earther, one who believes that the world is flat.  You don't mind do you?  Of course you don't, you don't believe that there's anything wrong with that theory.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh wow the Earth is a different chape then someoen thought. I dont care much for the world and its shape.

You should, you live in this world.  Are you saying you would rather go through life ignorant?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So whatever argument makes more sense to me will be welcomed into my fortress, THe church is the church, I listen to God first, Logic second.

And it is JUST that attitude that retarded man's knowledge throughout history.  Do you have ANY idea the things that Christians have believed throughout history because God told them it was so?  Do you know who Martin Luther was?  He was a German theologian whose teachings inspired the Protestant Reformation.  In other words, he was a pretty important guy as far as religion was concerned.

Let's look at a few quotes of the esteemed Martin Luther:

"In Switzerland, on a high mountain, not far from Lucerne, there is a lake they call Pilate’s Pond, which the Devil has fixed upon as one of the chief residences of his evil spirits...."

"I myself saw and touched at Dessay, a child of this sort, which had no human parents, but had proceeded from the Devil. He was twelve years old, and, in outward form, exactly resembled ordinary children."

"Idiots, the lame, the blind, the dumb, are men in whom the devils have established themselves: and all the physicians who heal these infirmities, as though they proceeded from natural causes, are ignorant blockheads."

"The fool [Copernicus] wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy. But sacred scripture tells us that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still and not the earth."

"As to the common people, ... one has to be hard with them and see that they do their work and that under the threat of the sword and the law they comply with the observance of piety, just as you chain up wild beasts."

"Some [demons] are also in the thick black clouds, which cause hail, lightning and thunder, and poison the air, the pastures and grounds."

"The winds are nothing else but good or bad spirits. Hark! how the Devil is puffing and blowing...."

"A large number of deaf, crippled and blind people are afflicted solely through the malice of the demon.  And one must in no wise doubt that plagues, fevers and every sort of evil come from him."

These misconceptions are due to a lack of KNOWLEDGE.  

You SHOULD care about these things Byblos, NOT caring only shows a lack of understanding on your part.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ByblosHex @ Oct. 04 2004,10:35)]Closed mind is a well guarded mind...

beilving the wolrd is flat.... there is absolutely nothing wrong ebaout that belief, sure its completely false, but who cares? Oh wow the Earth is a different chape then someoen thought. I dont care much for the world and its shape. So whatever argument makes more sense to me will be welcomed into my fortress, THe church is the church, I listen to God first, Logic second.
Byblos, if your goal is to obtain truth, then a closed mind is the worst thing to have.  If you want to only believe what you want to believe, then sure, go right ahead.  But that's where irrational dogmatism comes from.  Maybe you're into that sort of thing, but I don't think that's what god would want.  You need to realize that you can be 'devoted' to your faith without being dogmatic.  Really, you NEED to realize this.  You say you only believe what god tells you is ok, but how do you know for sure what god says is ok?  There are hundreds of different interperetations of what god says is ok.  With your closed mind, you could be wrong and never be the wiser. With an open but DISCERNING mind, you can let both the bad and the good in, and chose among them what you want to believe. Is that really such a horrid idea?

This is an exerpt from JC Ryan which I have used before on these boards:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Holy Ghost, by the mouth of St Paul, says to us, "Prove all things. Hold fast that which is good." In these words you have two great truths:

I.—The right, duty, and necessity of private judgment. "Prove all things."

II.—The duty and necessity of keeping firm hold upon truth. "Hold fast that which is good."

I propose to dwell a little on both these heads.

I.—Let me speak first, of the right, duty, and necessity of private judgment.

When I say the right of private judgment, I mean that every individual Christian has a right to judge for himself by the Word of God, whether that which is put before him as religious truth, is God's truth, or is not.

When I say the duty of private judgment, I mean that God requires every Christian man to use the right of which I have just spoken;—to compare man's words and man's writings with God's revelation, and to make sure that he is not deluded and taken in by false teaching.

And when I say the necessity of private judgment, I mean this,—that it is absolutely needful for every Christian who loves his soul and would not be deceived, to exercise that right, and discharge that duty to which I have referred; seeing that experience shows that the neglect of private judgment has always been the cause of immense evils in the Church of Christ.

You can NOT do this with a closed mind.

There is more, which I encourage you to read here.

Byblos, instead of just skimming over what we write, try a little comprehension.

Obviously you let God in, but what Mr. Bill and I are talking about is that you're not letting ANYTHING else in. Even your information you have about God is limited at best, confined to one source: Joe.

You need to interpret for yourself, prove these things to yourself. This judgement is your DUTY.

I think EVERYONE on these boards agrees with me, theist and nontheist alike.

How many times have people on these boards corrected the "facts" that you have presented? Case in point, yesterday you claimed George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were devout Christians. That information was incredibly inaccurate wasn't it?

How many other "facts" do you have floating around that fortress of yours that are incorrect? You will NEVER know unless you open up those gates.

Anythign that isnt of God isnt allowed in, you are correct. I dont want anything of this world inside me, it has already done enough damage, I want more of God and less of myself and less of this world.

I do interpret the for myself, but Most things are oonly temporary, this world is one of them. And things that are temporary I dont really want to think about, because they are just going to end eventually so the only things I really fight for are things that are permenant and things I wish could be permentant.

I will know whats facta nd whats not when I ask God, and I will ask him all of these things when I get there.

I didnt claim they were I said I heard they were. It doesnt matter to me and no human could know only God knows what is going on in someones heart. Whoever interviewed them doesnt know. You cannot prove they are not with God now and I cannot prove they are. I will just have to wait and see, and if theya re there ill ask thema ll kinds of things and if they arent I probobly will not think of them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anythign that isnt of God isnt allowed in, you are correct. I dont want anything of this world inside me, it has already done enough damage, I want more of God and less of myself and less of this world.

Did you ever think that maybe you were just letting the WRONG stuff in?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do interpret the for myself, but Most things are oonly temporary, this world is one of them. And things that are temporary I dont really want to think about, because they are just going to end eventually so the only things I really fight for are things that are permenant and things I wish could be permentant.

So you're saying that you don't care about school? You don't care about college? You don't care about a career? All those things are tempoary right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I will know whats facta nd whats not when I ask God, and I will ask him all of these things when I get there.

You won't know crap unless you study and prove things to yourself. You will only live under assumptions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I didnt claim they were I said I heard they were. It doesnt matter to me and no human could know only God knows what is going on in someones heart. Whoever interviewed them doesnt know. You cannot prove they are not with God now and I cannot prove they are. I will just have to wait and see, and if theya re there ill ask thema ll kinds of things and if they arent I probobly will not think of them.

My point was that you "heard" wrong. And you were living under a fallacy. Had you actually done some research into the matter, you would have known the truth. That applies to ALL facets of life.

No.... because I feel much better with what I have now opposed to what I have had before.

I care, but only because If I dont I will starve and If I starve it will be difficlt for me to work on things that are permenant.

Living under assumptions... well If im wrong and your right, it wont matter because ill be dead anyway right? But If im right and your wrong, well then. SO basically I have nothing to lose by having faith in God.

I wasnt living under that. It barely matters to me at all. The only Truth I live under is Jesus and no one can prove him wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ByblosHex @ Oct. 05 2004,11:02)]Living under assumptions... well If im wrong and your right, it wont matter because ill be dead anyway right? But If im right and your wrong, well then. SO basically I have nothing to lose by having faith in God.

I wasnt living under that. It barely matters to me at all. The only Truth I live under is Jesus and no one can prove him wrong.
And what if you're wrong and Islam is right? Then you'd be in a bad way, huh?

Pascal's theory is crap.

But i know im right. I cannot prove it to you or anyone else. No one can prove it but I know because God has told me so. I have something you do not and theres no way i can describe it to you.

Back