Interpret my signature.

I dunno, i would say you are trying to state that an open mind is something that is open to attack or seige. Implying we should all keep our minds closed up like a fortress. The bible says for us to guard our hearts and minds. Of course to have a /completely/ closed mind wont do anyone any good.

Well thats what i think im no good at this kinda thing.

Hmm.

I would agree with rizz. An open mind is a good thing. Defend your beliefs (mind) obviously, but do not disallow any and all rival views and opinions to simply bounce off. That is not waht 'thinking' is about.

I think its in the interpretation. It is a good thing for christians to guard against attacks from the enemy, from things of the world that cann pollute the mind etc... Yet i would not close my mind to others opinion, to things like that. (the sky is blue.. no its green... look up its blue.. no its GREEN) It could generally be perceived as arrogance. I dont think hes implying that anyways...

Rizz got it perfectly.

Poeple who call themselves opened minded and accuse others of having a closed mind do so because they just let any junk into their heads. A closed mind lets only things that you allow in.. and of course we all know no gates or guards will stop God, so your safe there. But you need strong walls to keep out the rest of the world's junk.

Man I was thinking I would have gotten a bunch of crap, but ya got it pretty quickly.

and about the uber-ultra-closed minded guy you described by using the sky colors, thats not keeping your mind safe thats just being an imbecile
tounge.gif

Ah, but what is junk and what is not?

What makes on thing junk and another not?

For example, I think Flat Earth Society members are desperately in need of a sharp smack to bring them round. Nevertheless, there are people who actually believe what they say.

By closing you mind to everything but what you want, you are simply running away from what you do not wish to hear. As DV once put it, put your hands over your ears and yell LALALALALALALALA... And take them away when it is something you feel supports/coincides with your views.

'Guarding your mind' as you put it sound like you simply block out what you don't want to hear. If I'm wrong, by all means clarify your point.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Poeple who call themselves opened minded and accuse others of having a closed mind do so because they just let any junk into their heads. A closed mind lets only things that you allow in.. and of course we all know no gates or guards will stop God, so your safe there. But you need strong walls to keep out the rest of the world's junk.

So you only let in stuff you approve of? If someone told you that two plus two equals four, but God told you no, no, it equals five, because I said so, but the guy comes up with a mathmatical formula and backed it up by incontavertible evidence that two plus two does indeed equal four, would you not allow this 'junk' into your head?

Don't confuse my point with ridicule, I am intrigued by your point. It may be over-simplified, but take another example: Suppose the Church told you the Earth was flat. Suppose you believed that becuase it was backed up by the bible (And I'm not saying it was). Suppose you were offered a look through Galileo's telescope. Would you dismiss his findigns as 'junk' cos it doens't coincide with God's will?

What is your definition of 'junk'?

Well If God told me otherwise I would go with him.

If God said so, I would belive it no matter how cantrary a human makes it out to be, who is wiser a human or God?

Junk = , Buddism. Adultery is Ok, So is sharing your wife. Being a protitute is Ok as long as you do it on a TV show like the Bachelor... = Junk

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well If God told me otherwise I would go with him.

If God said so, I would belive it no matter how cantrary a human makes it out to be, who is wiser a human or God?

According to the Church, the Earth was the centre of the universe and the sun revolved around the Earth. They also said that the Earth was flat.

Man, not God, proved them wrong. Galileo and his telescope, for example. Columbus' voyage. Magellen's boat ride. Coperinucus' observatory.

By all means ask me that question again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Junk = , Buddism. Adultery is Ok, So is sharing your wife. Being a protitute is Ok as long as you do it on a TV show like the Bachelor... = Junk

Buddhism. They are their own religion, faith whatever. Do you honestly expect them to conform to your standards, just because you believe your belief is superior? While I can understand adultery is not right, if buddhists believe it is acceptable and it is not infringing on anyone else's rights, or harming a person, fine.

Being a prostitute... Well, I don't like shows that demean people by appealing to the dregs of TV audiences. I guess I can agree somewhat with you here.

dont listen to the church... I listen to God.

Its junk, because who they worship buddah is in a jar, and there is an empty tomb in Jerusalem.

Selling your sex for money is prostitution, no matter how much money. All the women on Average Joe, and them shows are by definition, Prostitutes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dont listen to the church... I listen to God.

And you have reason to believe the clergy back then didn't? I find it strange that the Divine Truth about these things only came about, not through Divine Inspiration, but through plain old hard work by plain old mortals. If those men had not attempted what they did, and science was still in the stages it was back then, have no doubt those beliefs would still be widely held.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Its junk, because who they worship buddah is in a jar, and there is an empty tomb in Jerusalem.

Buddah is in a jar, eh? And can you point me to solid evidence Christ existed?

To my knowledge, there are no written manuscripts that tell that Jesus existed. There are no written records of a man named Jesus being executed.

In addition, there was practically not one mention of a man specifically Jesus by any scribes or historians at the time.

Philo Judaeus who's birth occurred in 20 B.C.E. and died 50 C.E. was alive at the time of Jesus. He wrote a great deal of painstakingly intricate details about Jewish affairs at the time yet not once in all his volumes did he mention a Jesus Christ, nor was he mentioned in the works of Seneca (4? B.C.E. - 65 C.E.) or the historian Pliny the Elder (23? - 79 C.E.)

Enough of this for now though, this should go in a seperate thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Selling your sex for money is prostitution, no matter how much money. All the women on Average Joe, and them shows are by definition, Prostitutes.

Indeed, I never said you were wrong. As regards to the intricacies of these situations, I shall keep my thoughts to myself until appropriate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ByblosHex @ Sep. 30 2004,11:55)]Lets see if any of you can come even close to guessing the correct meaning of my signature.
The Librarian (I think) in Dawn of War is quoted as saying your signature, he's talking about reading peoples' minds.

Do I win a cookie?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr.Bill @ Sep. 30 2004,3:22)]So you condone having a closed mind?
Mr.Bill, you can't tell me for one second that you accept that the sky is actually made of concrete. I'm sure you'd have a problem accepting that we think with our bicuspids and smell with our toes. Because if you do reject this riff raff, then I guess you have a closed mind as well and condone having one as well.

I don't believe Mr Bill was suggesting we readily swallow everything and never determine what believe to be true for ourselves.

If I may say so, I think he was asking Byblos if he believes it is acceptable to shut out all but that which we WANT to hear.

Only he can answer for himself, so what ever he means, he means.

A closed mind shuts out that which it already knows or assumes is wrong.  An openmind entertains until it determines it does not jive with a standard set up, and then rejects that and all other like material.

The question "Do you condone a close mind?" can not be answered yes or no, as if they are mutually exclusive of each other.  But the question, as stated requires a yes or no, mutually exclusive of each other. I simply rephrased it back to him, requiring the same yes or no, mutually exclusive answer.

Uh, before you put down Buddhism, do you actually know what the tenets of Buddhism are?  Or do you cut a wide swath and consider all religions other than Christianity to be without merit?

"An open mind leaves a chance for someone to drop a worthwhile thought in it"
-Anonymous

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well If God told me otherwise I would go with him.

I used to talk to god everyday, but I don't think he ever replied to me. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gods_Peon @ Sep. 30 2004,4:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr.Bill @ Sep. 30 2004,3:22)]So you condone having a closed mind?
Mr.Bill, you can't tell me for one second that you accept that the sky is actually made of concrete.  I'm sure you'd have a problem accepting that we think with our bicuspids and smell with our toes.  Because if you do reject this riff raff, then I guess you have a closed mind as well and condone having one as well.
Having an open mind does not mean that you can't 'know' anything. It just means that you actively accept the possibility that you are wrong, and are thus open to correction. I said nothing about the nonexistance of objective truth. Of course there are things like that, for instance, the phrase 'I exist' is intrinsically correct. 1 + 1 will always equal 2. But here, we are dealing with something that is, despite very fervent efforts, cannot be proven one way or the other. Faith is by definition based upon the lack of fact. But does this mean that you have to have a closed mind? No, because devotion and dogmatism are two different things.

Back