I hate Microsoft

BassMan449

So to celebrate my new job I splurged and bought myself a xbox 360. I've had an original Xbox for years and still play it fairly regularly and several of my friends have 360s so I really wanted one.

13 days since purchase, haven't played it in 3 days, and I turn it on tonight to the wonderful Red Ring of Death. Needless to say, I'm rather upset.

I am having trouble seeing why you are upset, stuff such as the Red Ring of Death are expected from M$... By the way, welcome to the "I hate Microsoft" club, I am pretty sure I am a officer of some sort lol!!! :)

I am a firm hater of microsoft when it comes to Windows and PCs, but I have owned my xbox for years and I love it and I think the 360 is overall a great console. I new the Red ring was a possibility, but I didn't expect it in under 2 weeks.

Did you get the replacement plan wherever you got it? I know it's saved my brother a major headache 3 times now. Kinda surprised you didn't end up with a Jasper unit, unless of course you got a Pro or Elite.

Hey, don't feel too bad, my first one crapped out after only two or three days of actual use.

The good news is you should still be able to return it to the store for a new one, just as long as you have a way to back up whatever data it had or don't mind losing it.

If you do this, be certain that whatever model you get is the most recent variety possible, it should be more reliable. Do some searching on the web for the key to the finding the most recent serial numbers and check them out before you exchange for one. I got a new one of a newer SKU than the first and it has fared much better.

As for the hating of Microsoft, just remind yourself that to a large extent, they at least produce real games of some value rather than mini-game collections and exercises in swinging your controller around as if doing so actually made for a fun game.

I'd like to point out the "fake game" console does not crap out 2 or 3 weeks (or days) into playing it =P.

Anyway.

Microsoft upped the warranty of the Xbox 360 from something like 90 days to 3 years to try to win back support. I'd check into that.

I'm pretty sure something exactly like this would happen if Tek and I were to get a 360. Hope you can get it lined out quickly!

Kinda surprised you didn't end up with a Jasper unit, unless of course you got a Pro or Elite.

Or he could have gotten one of the dusty boxes at the back of the warehouse instead of the newer ones. (all depends on how they were selling at the store) When i worked at circuit city before me store closed we had one of the original xbox360 pro boxes (you can look at the serial numbers, can't remember what the newer ones numbers start with been quite a few months now since i have looked for friends so they could buy one, but depending on what type you have it starts with a certain serial number code if it is a newer model).

All I know what to look for when it comes to newer units is amperage. 12.1 is the newer chipset. I don't know if they advertise the internal storage on the box yet though

As for the hating of Microsoft, just remind yourself that to a large extent, they at least produce real games of some value rather than mini-game collections and exercises in swinging your controller around as if doing so actually made for a fun game.
Oh, goodness, that opinion of the Wii is about as well-informed as me claiming that the 360 offers nothing but 13-year olds playing Halo 3, spewing profanity over voice chat, and making obscene gestures with their characters in-game every time they score a kill.

The Wii has so much more to offer than shovelware (though I'll be the first to admit that there's far too much shovelware on the Wii). Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Boom Blox, Okami, Zelda: Twilight Princess--there are plenty of great games on the Wii.

</offtopic>

Still, sucks to hear that your 360 gave out on you. I'd second shadetaker's suggestion of taking it back to the retail store where you bought it and try to exchange it for a newer unit (read: one with a Jasper chipset).

I can't help but thinking your 360 suffered a RROD less than two weeks after purchase simply because you live in the same city as Ember and me. Heck, we played on a 360 for 5 minutes and it managed to throw a RROD.

EDIT: Speaking of hating Microsoft, where's VK been lately? I figured he'd post the first reply on this thread.

Last edited:
Now now, one shouldn't get to thinking that I hate the Wii or am uninformed about it, indeed, my brother has one, and yes, it has some good games. The problem comes when you consider the fact that the last game he got (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) was released over a year ago, and there has scarcely been an interesting title since. (all the stuff Tek mentioned is at least 10 months old)

Now I ask: which is a worse failure, a hardware burnout that takes 3-4 weeks to fix, or a dearth of interesting releases that lasts nearly a year?

What's worse is that Nintendo has made no attempt in recent months to reach out to "hardcore gamers" since they released SSBB. I for one couldn't possibly care less about Wii Music or Wii Fit, that Nintendo is pushing that schlock over new Marios, Zeldas or Metroids would be offensive, were I one to take the actions of a corporate giant personally.

To top it all off, nowadays it's cheaper to get a 360 than to get a Wii. Nintendo may be raking in the dough by appealing to the casual market with that system, but there profit has come at the expense of the gamers who got them where they were to begin with. If they want to redeem themselves (in my eyes at least) they had better trot out some of their big franchises, and soon. Some new stuff would be nice too.

At any rate, there's little use in taking the actions of a mega corporation personally. All the hate that may be directed at Microsoft or Nintendo will do nothing to improve their products until they start feeling that it has cost them money; and to my knowledge, they are both doing just fine in spite of our feelings for them.

I'm pretty sure something exactly like this would happen if Tek and I were to get a 360. Hope you can get it lined out quickly!

thats why you should get a PS3 and play with me and rizz and darkbot

So to celebrate my new job I splurged and bought myself a xbox 360. I've had an original Xbox for years and still play it fairly regularly and several of my friends have 360s so I really wanted one.

13 days since purchase, haven't played it in 3 days, and I turn it on tonight to the wonderful Red Ring of Death. Needless to say, I'm rather upset.

Take it back to the store of original purchase quickly. Most stores have a return policy that is exceptionally short. Sounds like you either got a dusty old version or one of the rare new ones that does get the RROD.

Microsoft has upped the warranty on all it's XBox360 systems from 90 days to 3 years as Odale pointed out. So worst case scenerio, you call them up, they set up a repair ticket and send out a box for you to return your xbox to them all at thier expense. Yeah, you have to do without the xbox for a little while.

The problem comes when you consider the fact that the last game he got (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) was released over a year ago, and there has scarcely been an interesting title since. (all the stuff Tek mentioned is at least 10 months old)

Now I ask: which is a worse failure, a hardware burnout that takes 3-4 weeks to fix, or a dearth of interesting releases that lasts nearly a year?

Alas. I agree. I may personally think that the 360 is a piece of junk, but at least its a piece of junk that developers are making real games for, not just embarrassingly bad ports (see: Force Unleashed for the Wii.)

Really, as I see it, the only really great game to come out for the Wii since Okami is World of Goo.

It's sad, seeing as Nintendo proved to the nay-sayers that the odd Wii characteristics enabled far-reaching, innovated play that could not be matched by its more traditional content competitors, with games like Galaxy, Okami, and even Mario Kart Wii... aaaand then it stopped making new games and just ported over Xbox and PS3 games, neither of which work well on the Wii.

This last year, the Wii has won my personal prize for "most wasted innovation."

Why? because the Wii has the potential for being able to console-ize the kinds of games that previously were restricted to PCs: shooters, RTSs, Flightsims, and even possibly MMOs. Combining these with Nintendo's best-selling proprietary software empires (Mario, DK, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon) and quirky but fun gameplay (SSBB play vs. typical fighter play, for example) could have made for some amazingly innovative games. Instead, we get the Force Unleashed.

I'd have bought "Donkey Kongquest" the RTS or a Zelda-themed MMO... but they just didn't happen... (except Metroid. And see how good it was?)

I like the Wii, but I am no longer really a console gamer, I have no interest in most games on the XBox 360, I think almost all of them are lame, and the ones I don't think are lame, come out on PC and are much better... Even the Halo games had more features and were much better on PC than Xbox... Computer gaming pwns all console gaming...IMO... Wii I got to play with the family, and for my kids, the only console I have even thought about picking up was the PS3 ONLY for MGS4...but $400 for one game is kinda steep...lolz...

Personally, the Wii is the BEST system for my household (though I plan on getting a PS3 for BlueRay support one of these days).

As for the reason? Because I have a 6 year old who I need to train in the ways of the Gamer. And that Lightsaber game, and Elebits and the Wii Play & Sports work awesome at that.

Am planning on getting the NERF game soon as well.

So I took my 360 back to Best Buy hoping to exchange it. I get there and standard procedure is they have to test the system to make sure it is dead. Of all things he pulls it out and plugs it in and it suddenly works again! Now I'm really scared that it will wait until day 31 and then fail again and I'll have to ship it off to Microsoft, but amazingly for now it is functioning again.

I've always wanted an Xbox360. Came close to getting one this year. Ended up getting a Wii and a PSP instead. Mostly because...Wifi is built in, wife wanted the Wii fit really bad, and I wanted something portable. Plus, both systems don't have a reputation for failure.

And I already have a PS3. Which ROCKS!!...btw.

But sorry to hear that your Xbox360 Crashed so early man. I had sorta hoped that Microsoft had fixed their problems by now.

Last edited:
Back