GW2 Profession Guesses

Golemancer?

Okay, has anyone heard official word on if Golemancer is a profession (someone who creates/runs golems)?

It figured heavily in Ghosts of Ascalon, and the Asurans are all up on the golems in the artwork... Also there's that picture of a Sylvan animating some big tree form... So I kind of feel like golemancer is going to be a profession.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I've read several times there will be no race specific professions. However, if each race had its own version of the "golemancer" I could see it appearing. Though with the silhouettes left its anybodies guess.

The only professions I am sure will make an appearance that have not been released are the Assasin, Mesmer, and unamed "Knight" class.

My guess... #1 is the Mesmer, #3 Knight, and not sure which is the Assassin. That does leave room for your Golemancer though. ;)

Last edited:
Mesmer is almost a given at this point, but I seem to remember reading that "assassin" will be more of a title/achievement rather than an actual profession. That's not to say there won't be a revamp of the gw1 'sin profession into more of a "spy". Basically a close-range profession that specializes in high damage spikes and such, has more speed than the warrior, but less armor. Add to that the "stealth" and "awareness" attributes coming in gw2. So in that sense, Spy makes more sense.

I'm betting that holy damage won't go away, but since monks don't return as a profession, and dervishes are almost certainly gone (no scythes in gw2), you're left with some form of "holy warrior".

The one problem with golemancer as a profession is the golems are restricted to the asura, and there won't be racially exclusive professions. Golems will be racially exclusive to asura similar to the totems the norn use to turn into different animals. The charr apparently get to summon a member of their warband to fight along side of them. Not sure what the sylvari get, and it's been a while since the human-exclusive skills were mentioned.

As far as off-the-wall profession, I'm going for alchemist.

Ah! But what if there is a heavy armor profession expressed uniquely in each race?

Asurans ride golems (we saw a clip of that in-game in one of the vids)
Sylvari ride tree-monsters (we've seen lots of tree-monster art)
Norn take animal form (confirmed)
Charr call siege engines/destroyers/warband
Humans... I dunno... holy armor?

Granted, I want to be able to shape-shift a Norn in any profession, but that might be a lot to ask balance wise.

Not sure if any of you have played LOTRO but I think the new book Edge of Destiny is hinting at a Guardian/Paladin/Monk profession for Thackeray. Here are some quotes...

SPOILERS (for the book)

...and Logan, the valiant human guardian dealing with divided loyalties.

Thackeray swept his hand out in a fan. A blue aura bled from his fingertips into the air, solidifying it in a curved wall before the scouts... the shots struck ehtereal membrane and sank into it and were eaten away.

His hand painted a blue aura in the air, a slim band meant to trip up a Destroyer.
His pursuer swung a stone claw that missed, then stepped in the long grass and tripped on the guardian aura. The Destroyer overbalanced and crashed into the ditch.

A blue aura lit Logan’s hands and spread to encompass his hammer. The glow seemed to hoist him into the air, and he brought the weapon down...

Logan flung out his hands, and a blue ball of energy deflected the blade.

Blue aura erupted from Logan’s hands and swarmed across his hammer. He hauled it overhead to smash into the sand. A profound boom shook the bearbaiting den, flinging Rytlock back against the half-wall.

Logan’s hand painted an arc of blue energy in the air before him. He staggered back as Rytlock thudded into the magical shield.
Arcane energy sparked across the charr’s front but Sohothin cleaved through.

Rytlock glared at Logan. “You could heal me?”
“Not all at once. A little bit now, and then an hour later, a little more.”

Blue aura erupted from Logan’s fingers, and he touched the wounds in his brother’s chest. They glowed, flesh beginning to knit, but the holes were too wide.

He jumped back and flung his hand out. His fingers smeared blue aura in the air, solidifying it in a shield before Zojja. The Icebrood pounded up to the shield but couldn’t reach the asura apprentice.

Logan meanwhile painted blue aura in the air around the asura, making a shield that would guard them.

“Well” Logan said as he ducked a hundred pound fist, “I seem best at defense.”

And just for fun at the end we see this!!!!

“Of course we didn’t plan” Rytlock snarled. “We’re fighters, not engineers.”

http://huntersinsight.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/guardians-of-guild-wars-2/

Last edited:
MONK MONK MONK MONK!!

If ya'll can't tell, I'm slightly upset they killed my monk but is now happy that they are making a similar one. One that kicks more apples!

If this ends up being a Monk/Rit/Warrior combination this profession could ROCK big time. I may have to go back to my Final Fantasy roots and roll one of these new age paladins first.

Scholarly
1.) Elementalist
2.) Mesmer
3.) Necromancer

Adventures
1.) Ranger
2.) Assassin
3.)___________

Soldier
1.) Warrior
2.) Guardian

The big question now is what is the missing profession? B/c the concept art is batting a thousand right now.

I'm wondering if "Golemancer" will be a profession choice.

Asura Golemancers make typical Asura Golems and ride in them.
Charr Golemancers make Charr effigies
Sylvari Golemancers create plant creatures similiar somewhat to the Kurzick Juggernauts
Norn Golemancers make ice creatures?
and Humans create some type of mud/dirt elemental?

Oh, and a special shout out to you Stc, looks like the monk lives again... just in a new nail eating, armor wearing, killing machine skin. :D

I'm fairly certain right now I'm rolling a Guardian when GW2 is released. Not enough info to really make a sure fire decision right now, but from what it sounds like, it's my monk ;)

Honestly, the new professions are cool, but they are the GW1 core professions, this is finally something new. Even if it is slightly tied to the "monk" category. But so far everything else is identical, just GW2-ized, Necro, Ele, War, Ranger. Guardian isn't in GW1, this is probably why it's so appealing to me.

To me, the Ranger (and Guardian to an extent) are GW characters becoming more like D&Dish (a good imo). So I think the Assassan more of a Rogue-like character from D&D (also it would fit that motif as the same but a different presentation profession we're supposed to be expecting).

From GW2 wiki and other sources, the Golem Battlesuit is definitely an Asuran racial skill (and possibly elite), so I have to disagree with Raven about a golemancer. Though I do think the last class may be something that's unique to GW2 (like Mesmers for GW1), and I suspect some sort of Alchemist/Item-based profession. However, seeing how the Charr racial skills may deal with war items, like the Shrapnel Mine and possibly some form of grenade, I'm not sure sure. On this note, several professions have the ability to create items/weapons that other characters can interact with. What comes to mind is Conjure Flame (summoning 3 lava axes that allies can throw) and Conjure Frost (summons an icy bow that can be used to freeze enemies). It would be interesting to see a profession that revolves around making items and weapons that his allies, or just himself, could use on the battlefield.

Back