GW2 Profession Guesses

Prophet Elhanan

What types of professions would you like to see make a comeback, what ones will be scrapped, and any ideas on how they could be rebuilt?

Scholarly
1.) Elementalist
2.)___________
3.)___________

Adventures
1.)___________
2.)___________
3.)___________

Soldier
1.) Warrior
2.)___________

-Proph.

After an article I just read I'm going to have to go with Monk, but not in the way we have seen.

"Stored far above the rising waters, these antiquities remain the only true records of the ancient age of humanity. The monks of that monastery are part historian and part warrior, studying and protecting their sacred charges."

So I'm putting them in the Scholarly category if they make it to GW2. I think they will be a lot like the monks in Final Fantasy and less like the priest especially since everyone will have a required slot for a healing skill.

-Proph.

I think Anet would have to make something incredible to go away from the holy trinity: warrior, monk, ele. Ranger is also a stable element in most MMOs, but we've already seen they are going to break up the "ranger" position into a couple categories (bows only, guns only, guns/bows).

So I'm guessing we'll see the gun/bow profession in the soldier slot. With a bows only as maybe a scholarly and the guns only as adventure.

Gotta bring back Ritualist in some form and Necromancers. Guess that would be in the scholar class. Just think of the new types of minions they could make. Maybe combine the two classes. Now that has some interesting possibilities.

During the last interview with Ten ton Hammer they hinted at specifically moving away from the traditional Monk, Ele, Warrior model...

Jesse Cox: Is that some type of hint that the holy trinity of MMO gaming will still be there: the healer, the dps, and the tank?

Eric Flannum: We’ll talk about it more in depth in the future, but I think that it’s pretty safe to say that the holy trinity is not going to be a huge factor for us in GW2.

Who knows what that means exactly but I hope it makes for more innovation and unique gaming experience.

-Proph.

Source:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/83947/page/2

I'm guessing if they have a monk, it'll be like a D&D cleric, melee but with buffs.

EDIT: Got too excited about teasing His Traveling Monk that I didn't see the post after his xD

Last edited:
They have to have a dedicated healing profession. 1 dedicated healing slot per character is not enough to clear a dungeon. I'm thinking that the one slot for healing is to help with the persistent world.

They have to have a dedicated healing profession. 1 dedicated healing slot per character is not enough to clear a dungeon. I'm thinking that the one slot for healing is to help with the persistent world.

Not if they balance the dungeon around not needing a dedicated healer. Just saying.

See, that's the problem with as to why the 'holy trinity of mmos' are so prevalent. It's all about design. I contend that a boss doesn't have to have 15 Million hitpoints (I don't even know what the raid bosses in WoW have now, but it is waaaay above that) and a few devastating attacks and phases in order to be challenging for a raid.

It's all about design. Left 4 Dead is a prime example of this. No healer class, and the only way you'll get health is through medpacks and pills. Compared to that, having a slot that provides healing forever could almost be considered overkill. Guild Wars didn't have a z-axis, so people couldn't swim or jump. It was a noticeable thing, but not a game breaker... because people didn't need it. It wasn't a part of the original design. Same goes for crafting. Crafting is an almost essential aspect of an MMO, yet GW doesn't have anything that can compare with it -and nobody misses it.

My hope is that there will be no healer class in GW2. By doing so, it will finally be able to cast off the trappings that have been bogging down the genre for so long. Instead of thinking of doing things the way they have been traditionally done with a healing class, think of all the things they would be able to do without one. By the elimination of but one of the pillars of the trinity the whole game dynamic by necessity changes, and in my opinion it can only change for the better.

Sorry, I get very worked up every time I even think about the Tank/DPS/Healer triad of MMORPGS, so I'm going to stop there...

Just another thing about the healer class, if they are giving out drops and xp to everyone who contributed to combat, and they are counting contribution via damage, wouldn't healers be at a significant disadvantage?

That's how it functions now. Those that are in on the combat get loot and exp. But as you said, monks would get shorted, so they added that any enchantment or healing or buff on anyone who does damage (within radar/aggro range) also gets drops/exp. So they can just use the same mechanism if they need to.

My guess is:

Scholarly
1.) Elementalist
2.) Necro
3.) Mesmer

Adventurers
1.) Ranger
2.) Assassin
3.) Shaman/Cleric type? (new prof)

Soldier
1.) Warrior
2.) Paladin? (new prof)

I absolutely can't wait to play!! I've already announced to my wife that she will become a Guild Wars 2 widow upon it's release!!! =)
Fortunately for me, she supports my love for GW2! =)

Last edited:
I'll go on record here..

Scholarly
1.) Elementalist
2.) Cleric (Necro/Rit hybrid)
3.) Monk (more like Bruce Lee, less like Menlo)

Adventurers
1.) Rouge (Sin/Derv/Warrior mix)
2.) Naturalist (beastmaster/ warrior mix)
3.) Enchanter (mesmer paragon mix)

Soldier
1.) Warrior
2.) Marksman

Scholarly
1.) Elementalist
2.) Summoner
3.) Demigod (profession attuning to one of the gods like eles do with elements)

Adventurers
1.) Ranger
2.) Assassin
3.) Thief (can still loot, xp, health, and energy from enemies)

Soldier
1.) Warrior
2.) Berzerker

Yeah, I think we'll see race specific skills focus on that type stuff. They have already announces the ability of humans to summon the Hounds of Balthazar so I doubt it will be its own profession.

"...Humans gain potent skills, such as summoning hounds of Balthazar."

However, seeing some sort of mystic caster would be kind of cool.

-Proph.

Back