Guild Wars 2 Info Released!!!!

http://www.arena.net/blog/next-week-is-sylvari-week

• Monday – Artist extraordinaire Kristen Perry explains how the look of the sylvari has grown and evolved in a blog post full of cool art and character designs.
  • Tuesday – Writer Angel McCoy describes how the writing team brings the sylvari to life through dialogue in a blog post that features a load of audio clips from Guild Wars 2.
  • Wednesday - Lore & Continuity Designer Ree Soesbee and Kristen Perry discuss the roots and growth of this unique race in a video overview of the sylvari right here on the blog.
  • Thursday – We’re updating the sylvari page on GuildWars2.com with new lore, screenshots, wallpapers, and an atmospheric new sylvari video!
  • Friday - Ree Soesbee returns with a lore-filled narrative blog post that explores the mysterious sylvari even further.

Last edited:
Ha ha :) figured you would notice an appearance by me ha ha! i know I will be bringing some Aion folks over I believe we have a few former GW players there.

:) I've been silently lurking through the SoE forums.
I recently returned to GW to finish off my HoM in prep. for GW2.

Re-skin is here.

http://www.arena.net/blog/kristen-perry-on-designing-and-redesigning-the-sylvari

imo they got it spot on. :)

Particularly these ones. The ent look was incorporated nicely, but kept the young fairy/elf feel. Not too far either way.

WhintSeries-600x353.jpg

SylvariMales-600x219.jpg

Winter-Skin-421x600.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.arena.net/blog/the-sylvari-soul

Do sylvari have romantic relationships?
Sylvari fall in and out of love, just like other races do. They have a romanticized view of devotion, and they’re curious about passion in all its forms. There are male and female sylvari, but none has ever produced a child as other races do. Because of this, traditional human-style gender roles have no meaning to sylvari, either in their society or in their romantic relationships. Often, a sylvari’s ardor is expressed with courtly zeal—emotional, empathic, personal—and is not necessarily defined by gender.

I read on Guru that Caithe was in a romantic relationship with another female Sylvari. They quoted the book I think. Personally, I would rather they stay away from PC gender roles and stick with traditionally accepted morals, but what are you gonna do? A reflection of culture or adding to the problem? I don't want to argue how accurately a fantasy game should reflect certain aspects of morality but I still am uncomfortable with it.

I read the books, and I didn't take Caithe's thing as a lesbian relationship. It just seemed to me that ALL the Sylvari are tight-knit. (I had the impression though that they were born in groups that had sibling-like qualities... but I may have gotten mixed up with the Charr.)

It's sad that so few people (secular and Christian) have room in their worldview for the real loving and affirming relationships that we're supposed to have.

Besides, they don't breed... so they don't have sex... so everybody just relax. (Though, I kinda wish they'd had the guts to make them more like the Charr, expressing gender in more unique morphological ways... or having no gender and just a willowy-to-oaky slider.)

Are the books any good? Which ones? I am so excited for this game I might actually consider reading them.

Yeah, I thought both the books were good, fun fantasy... even apart from being Guild Wars.

Back