Guild Wars 2 Info Released!!!!

Okay, while there are plenty of costumes that are... less than modest... I maintain that at least in Guild Wars (unlike some games) you CAN have an awesome female character who's NOT half nekkid. Glad to see the same will be true in GW2:

Gunner_Girl.jpg

Moderator's note: Put image in spoiler tag to save those with slower internet connections and to save space. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?p=424519#post424519
http://www.gamerzines.com/mmo/previews/interview-guild-wars-2-pt2.html

At this time we don't plan to continue with the standalone expansion model. We felt that this model split our player base unnecessarily and also caused us to focus development effort on things that were redundant with the original release of the game such as tutorial areas and duplicates of already existing skills.

I'm pretty happy about this. I really hated going through started zones 3 times in GW1.

We do guide our players through their story with markers (which resemble a green star burst) and these markers will sometimes appear over an NPC's head. The important difference in this case is that a player will only ever have one step in their story, one thing that they are trying to accomplish, not a journal full of 20 tasks that by their very nature and quantity start to seem unimportant.

AMEN!

Our mini-pet system is undergoing development as we speak. I can't offer much in the way of details yet, but I can say that we want to push the fun and collectability of our mini-pets to new levels.

My wife is going to love that one.

Last edited:
Awwwww. I like the mostly harmless quaggan (http://www.arena.net/blog/the-mostly-harmless-quaggan).

I also love that there are really interesting peoples that AREN'T the playable races but that become your allies. Has anyone seen any real lists of which playable races are allied with which unplayable races? Because I definitely want to be on team quaggan (and as far as I can get from the grawl).

Not a specific day, but they are saying late 2011 right now...that I know of.

Yup. That is the news that's coming out of the investors meetings. I read an article somewhere that was saying Q1 of 2012 too though (can't find it for the life of me though)

I REALLY hope it comes out in 2011. They been working on it for so long it has to be getting close to finished.

(We should have a pool going on when it comes out. lol)

Awwwww. I like the mostly harmless quaggan (http://www.arena.net/blog/the-mostly-harmless-quaggan).

I also love that there are really interesting peoples that AREN'T the playable races but that become your allies. Has anyone seen any real lists of which playable races are allied with which unplayable races? Because I definitely want to be on team quaggan (and as far as I can get from the grawl).

As far as I can tell their is no such connection. I'm sure certain playable races will encounter certain unplayable races before others though.

The way the article read I would assume the humans will encounter the quaggan first.

A small group of varonos who govern villages throughout Kryta have reached out to that nation’s human queen, and the two races have entered into a friendly alliance of help and support. Although both races are besieged, humans and quaggans assist each other as best as they can when the other is in need.

No, they did mention at one point that when you roll a character you choose which "lesser" species that character is allied with... from a list of three depending on your race.

They may have abandoned that idea along the way, though.

Looks great - everything I see looks great. Although...I am getting a little tired of seeing how great everything looks with no release date in sight.

blah blah here is the new class "Enter name" ...blah, blah, blah, when? Oh soon...blah, blah, blah, oh this city is going to be awesome, blah, blah, blah, WHEN?!? Oh soon...blah, blah, blah...

Now now gents. Patience.

Personally I'd rather have a complete, super polished game than a game that feels thrown together with glitches and mass clipping. I want this game to be as epic as possible even if it takes until 2012.

However, if it takes longer than that I think they are going to experience some diminishing returns.

To get the entire feel for this game is going some time too. Only 1 of the 5 elder dragons are going to be available upon release. I'm sure they are going to drop expansions every year or so after that. If that's the case they might be working on some of those as well just so they can meet future releases. jmo though.

One thing that bothers me is it looks like nothing in line of a Survivor title, or at best almost impossible.

Well seeing as there is no set determined level cap yet, it would make survivor difficult, in the sense of getting to level 20 without dying. They could still do "gain X amount of experience without dying to gain title." However with such a high level cap (if any) it would have to be a considerable amount of exp to warrant such an achievement. That is, provided they do go back to the idea of achievement titles are actually achievements and not easy to obtain. /avoidrant

Well seeing as there is no set determined level cap yet, it would make survivor difficult, in the sense of getting to level 20 without dying. They could still do "gain X amount of experience without dying to gain title." However with such a high level cap (if any) it would have to be a considerable amount of exp to warrant such an achievement. That is, provided they do go back to the idea of achievement titles are actually achievements and not easy to obtain. /avoidrant

-----------

...we set the level cap for the game at 80, but we made the time between levels rather short. Instead of taking longer and longer to reach each level, it takes about the same time to go through each level. It’s pretty simple; if we expect you to level up every few hours, then why shouldn’t it be that way all through the game?

Overall, we expect our content to be the driving force behind how long it takes to do things in-game. Anyone can increase the length of an experience bar and call it content, but our world is filled with an almost endless stream of things to do. We expect content—not long, grindy progression—to be the deciding factor that keeps people playing our game. We want everyone to stick with Guild Wars 2 because our content is fun and enjoyable, not out of some dogged determination to slowly, slowly advance. And because our world is ever-changing and dynamic, you can play our content again and again...

http://www.arena.net/blog/progression-and-leveling-in-guild-wars-2#more-2828

Considering how the level curve is set up may make it a bit easier than it sounds.

Last edited:
@Elhanan

haha, I wasn't 100% sure of my earlier statement, I thought I heard somewhere that they said something but didn't remember. Figured I'd take a stand and I have a 50% chance of getting it right, knew you'd set me straight tho ;)

Back