Guild Wars 2 Info Released!!!!

Here is some more info on the dynamic events in GW2.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/

Here are some great quotes from the article...

"In Guild Wars 2, our event system won't make you read a huge quest description to find out what's going on. You'll experience it by seeing and hearing things in the world. If a dragon is attacking, you won't read three paragraphs telling you about it, you'll see buildings exploding in giant balls of fire, and hear characters in the game world screaming about a dragon attack."

"In Guild Wars 2, if a character tells you ogres are coming to destroy a house, they will really come and smash down the house if you don't stop them!"

"All players that fully participate in an event are rewarded for doing so; everyone who helps kill a monster or blow up an enemy catapult will get credit for doing so. There is no kill stealing and no quest camping. Everyone works together towards the common goal of the event and everyone is rewarded for doing so."

There is one quote in here I could not disagree with more...
"The other, even more common(player), wants to make alternate characters and play through the same as many different ways with as many different characters as possible..."

I know of very few players who actually enjoy replaying missions and quest. The story gets old and the newness of the game is lost having to repeat the same things over and over and over and over and over and over... Sound like a big grind to me. These next quotes do help alleviate some of the negative feelings toward the previous.

"Our dynamic event system in Guild Wars 2 ensures this sense of joy from discovery is never lost in the game world! Every time you enter any map in the game, completely different events and situations could be occurring to discover in a new and different way."

"As an added bonus, we've also hidden hundreds of events all over the world that require interaction with the game world. This helps give an extra sense of reward and discovery for those who seek to explore the entire world. Finding an entrance to a secret cave deep at the bottom of the ocean ...removing a glowing orb from the cave... reading the spells written on an ancient wizard's spell book in a ruined castle... at the top of the highest mountain peak could open a portal to another world and trigger a chain of events.."

-Proph.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/

-Proph.

Last edited:
Ok as a leader of 22 contentious different character's I disagree with you Elhanan. Following that many through the replay of quests and missions is always different and challenging, but to see that they will change the missions and quests dynamically is even cooler. The only bad part will be an automatic restriction on number of character's to keep track of, especially if the level cap is much higher. As noted in another post there will be so much to do that I foresee a real shrinkage in Clan Erse, who knows we may see a story on the decimation of Clan Erse in the battle with the White Mantle. Back to the point, playing many different characters through the same Mission is fun, it is like sampling the same food done in different ways. My biscuits are not like my moms, and neither is like store bought biscuits, yet they are all 3 biscuits(not English biscuits either). Stop and savor the nuances available. Not only the different characters, but different skill bars change the whole of what you do. Sister Christeen changed to an axe nun and was totally different in missions than as a Smiter. A tanking nun? Cool.

I figured you would Ursen. ;) My issue with this is I get bored with doing the same missions (and occasionally quest) over again just to advance my characters. I should note this doesn't seem to be an issue we will face in GW2 just based on how the game seems to be developing.(Level separately yes, but with a much newer feel for each) So speaking just in the context of GW1 and its game play, I would have preferred an Account Based game. For example if one member of your family of characters has explored an area the other ones would have access to that same map. Doesn't make sense that my main character wouldn't share that info with my other ones.

Just speaking for the people I play with, none of the 8 like making new characters in Guild Wars because of the grind of leveling, skill hunting, exploring, etc. The fun in character design is there, and I LOVE that part of it. However, the cost of having to start all over again is a bit too much for me so I have my 5 level 20s and a Pre and the others have s idle until I recruit another friend and we both start from scratch. For me the real game doesn't occur until your character is fully developed. that may be some of the problem. I had to rush through GW because the pace my friends played at but still its my lot I drew.

Having new races and character stories will help in GW2 to get rid of the feeling of one giant grind. Who knows, maybe in GW2 I'll have 22 characters too. lol When the next bit of GW2 info is leaked by Ree Soesbee I maybe able to speak to that more accurately.

-Proph.

Last edited:
Not to mention expensive.. My monk easily has over 1000k invested into him. And my necro is already in the 100k+ category, and he's just about a month out of pre. Between armor, weapons, skills, caps, hero weapons, etc. new characters are more expensive than kids! I would easily go broke if I started playing my ~6 PvE characters regularly.

Proph, as a new GL, do you think that sometimes we have to sacrifice to help guildies and allies complete the stuff they need which does more often than not, require us to repeat many missions and quests?

Yeah, we definitely do. One of my friends just started playing the game about 2 weeks ago and I've started working with him from the very first mission to help him along. Just ditching them to play by themselves until they catch up will discourage them and make us lose a bit of community. This is a shame. It does make it hard for new players to ever really feel connected. Maybe GW2 will change that with the new living world.

-Proph.

I look forward to finding out how how in GW2 the Guilds/Alliance part is going to be. Are we going to have better tools to communicate across guilds within our Alliance, event notifications across guilds in-game, etc.

More GW2 Q and A:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/guild...ric-flannum-isaiah-cartwright-and-ryan-scott/

Quotes:
"What I mean when I say that is that crafting will not be something players can engage in as a career without ever going out and slaying monsters and being a hero. We think that systems that allow players to do that can be a lot of fun but just aren’t right for what we’re doing in GW2." :( (Dies a little inside)

"Expect a crafting system that has multiple crafting professions, discourages player conflict over resource nodes, no “throw away” crafting of items that you don’t care about, and generally works with and enhances all of the other game systems in GW2." (Ok, well that makes it feel a bit better.)

LISTEN UP MONKS!
"GW2Guru: It’s been implied that there may not be a ‘dedicated healer’ class in the game. Is that a role that some classes will excel at filling, or will that form of defense be spread across a team?
Isaiah Cartwright – Game Designer: "Healing in GW2 is different from most other MMO’s. One of our goals is that you should always be happy to see other players and this shouldn’t change based on their profession, race, skill choices, or anything else. Which means each player needs to be slightly more self sufficient so that one particular profession is not required to do any given type of content. It’s why we made the healing slot a required part of the skill bar. It allows us to make the heal skill powerful enough so players can take care of themselves. There will still be ways to support your allies and some professions will specialize in support but no single profession is always required."

"(Enhanced Guild Alliance System) We have a lot of plans for incentivizing guilds to play together but we aren’t ready to talk about them yet. I know that’s not a great answer but I wanted you to know that it is something we have plans for."

"...don’t worry you’ll have a full range of beard options during character creation..."

GW2Guru: You’ve talked about the inclusion of web based guild chat. Do you have any other plans to extend the community out of the game?
Eric Flannum: Once again this isn’t something that we’re currently talking about in great detail but it is something that we’re very interested in. We’ve got a lot of plans in this regard, we just aren’t prepared to reveal them yet.

-Proph.

Last edited:
Eurogamer Interview;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/guild-wars-2-dynamic-events-interview?page=1

"We've split quests into two completely different concepts. One of them is our dynamic events system, which occurs in the persistent world and keeps the world dynamic and alive for all the players. The other core system is your personal storyline. This you're always on and there is always a next step available to you; where you should be going in the world and something you should be doing to progress your storyline."

"We're taking the best aspects of a role-playing game and putting that into your personal storyline. You'll go through and make choices that develop who you are and the world you see. Your friends can come with you and help you do your personal storyline, and you can help them."

Concerning Personal Storyline Instances: "Locations will get destroyed, and this is a little bit of a spoiler for you, but early on in one of the Human storylines you have to pick between trying to get to a hospital or an orphanage - which one do you want to save first? The bandits are going to attack both. Based on the choice you make it has a dramatic effect on your storyline."

"There are item rewards that you'll get from story stuff that can make your character look a little bit different. We have things along those lines, but they're still in development at this time."

"There are some [non-player characters] who might get romantically attached to your player. They may love your character so much they start following you around."

"...we have a whole lot of varied endgame content available, so you can keep playing for as long as you like."

Concerning the Dynamic World: "A great example is an Asura who is standing outside of a cave that has a tiny entrance that the Asura can't fit into. He tells you that there is a bunch of mushrooms growing inside the cave that he needs to get. And he'll turn you into a pig if you volunteer your help. And when you turn into a pig it triggers an event where you can sneak through the hole and start digging up all the mushrooms for him, and you have animals that are chasing you around and you can dodge them and use your pig skills. There are cool little hidden things like that all over the game world."

"You can stop and play mini-games in cities.. Every big city in the game will be filled with all sorts of mini-games that you can play. Those provide a lot of repeatable end-game content. Players can compete in bar brawls and shooting galleries and perpetual snowball fights, and all sorts of fun mini-games like that.."

"There will be endgame content where you can play in maps filled with dynamic events. There will be endgame content that we're calling dungeons, and many of these are high-level raids. And we're not ready to talk about those yet either, but they're a large part of our end-game content. PVP is a huge part of it... We'll also be giving rewards that are on a scale equal to other things you get in the game world."

-Proph.

More on Dynamic Events... they really want to talk about this aspect of the game obviously.

http://www.arena.net/blog/colin-johanson-answers-your-dynamic-event-questions#more-2093

Quotes:

Loot will never be directly given as a reward for an event. The idea here is you should never feel like you need to participate in a specific event, or feel let down that you missed an event because it had a reward you really wanted.

All events reward you with experience, gold, and karma, which you can spend at merchants and vendors in the game to purchase rewards.
(humm... a new spendable in the game.)

Players don’t receive loot based on event participation; loot is dropped by monsters you kill during events, and everyone who helps kill a particular monster will receive rewards for doing so. Loot is the immediate reward you receive from the monsters, but at the end of the event everyone who participated receives their event reward.

-Proph.

In game Economics, Equipment, WvW, etc.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/interview-etape-avec-arenanet?start=2

Quotes,

"Guild Wars 2 includes a full Marketplace for players, which will differ from the usual MMO auction house in a number of ways. The biggest and most important difference is GW2’s Marketplace supports postings from both buyers and sellers."

"Items you put up for sale may sell while you’re offline, and the funds will be deposited in your account bank. You must be in game to put a new item up for sale, but you will be able to browse the market, bid from your account bank, or cancel your own auctions and offers while logged in to a web browser without running the game."

"It’s important to note that regardless of how powerful they are(weapons), all swords allow the player to use the same set of skills. So while one sword may simply have better statistical bonuses on it than the other, it won’t fundamentally change what you can do with a sword."

"...every kind of armor and weapon in the game will be upgradeable. Down the line we will be releasing a full article on how it all works on our website, so stay tuned for that!"

"Guild Wars 2 doesn’t feature a traditional MMO quest system. Instead, we have our event system, which we’ve begun talking about, and our personal storyline system, which we should be talking about in detail very soon. It is also true that while we do use icons over some NPCs to communicate what they do to players (merchants, trainers, collectors, etc.) there will be no exclamation marks or questions marks hovering over any NPCs head." (Seriously, THANK GOD!!!)

-Proph.

Back