GFC Proverbs Chapter a day Challenge (December)

Proverbs 19:3 NIV said:
3. A man's own folly ruins his life, yet his heart rages against the Lord.

I like the way the Message puts this one. :)

Proverbs 19:3 The Message said:
3. People ruin their lives by their own stupidity, so why does God always get blamed?

Why is it that when things are going good, people tend to not thank God for it? Why it is when things go bad it has to be God's fault? Take for example the joke

joke said:
A boy was falling from a tree and called out "God save me and I'll go to church every Sunday!" A rip was heard and the boy calls out "Never mind God, My pants caught on the branch.

Why is it we take the time to yell for help or to rail (wail?) against God when things go south on us because we screwed up? Why won't we take responsibility for our own actions?

Proverbs 18:14 A man's spirit can endure sickness,
but who can survive a broken spirit?

hhhhmmmm

Proverbs 19:1 Better a poor man who walks in integrity
than someone who has deceitful lips and is a fool.

I think we are going to have to work with our oldest on this one. Maybe if she memorizes some of these, it will help with her behaviour

Proverbs 20: 17 Food gained by fraud is sweet to a man
but afterwards his mouth is full of gravel.

May need to add this one too.

I know our wisdom is not going to get us past these issues with our oldest

If you know what you are talking about, you have something more valuable than gold or jewels. Proverbs 20:15 (TEV)

Amen!

Do not say, "I will repay evil"; wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.
Pro 20:22 ESV

Proverbs 20:4 The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.

Rarely is the time to go to work going to feel pleasant and comfortable, but if you don't discipline yourself to do it when you should then things will be even more unpleasant and uncomfortable for you when you find there is nothing to harvest to get you through the next winter. Many things have to be done in their appropriate season, not in accordance with our personal convenience.

Proverbs 21: 5 The plans of the diligent certainly lead to profit,
but anyone who is reckless only becomes poor.

It seems to me that this was also repeated in the new testament with the woman and the judge.

Whoever pursues righteousness and unfailing love will find life, righteousness, and honor. Proverbs 21:21 (NLT)

If you pursue righteousness you will find it - and so much more.

Proverbs 21:13 Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard.

Proverbs 21:17 He that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loveth wine and oil shall not be rich.

It recently occurred to me that these two ideas are linked. God's blessings in this world aren't meant solely for our own personal pleasure, and if we harden our hearts and refuse to use the income He gives us in the manner He wants to see it used, there's a good chance He'll take it away from us again.

Prov 21:2 ​​​​​​​​Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart.

Proverbs 21:13 said:
13. If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.

This one is personal to me... I was having issues with the way our church (and our specific life group) were handling giving things to some of the needier families. People who couldn't afford to pay their rent were asking for Wii's and I had issue with buying them anything. Its not the fact that they asked for it, its that they expected it to be given... My attitude about helping people in need sucked, no matter what they ask for, I need to still show Christ's love and not allow their wants to affect my giving spirit...

Choose a good reputation over great riches; being held in high esteem is better than silver or gold. Proverbs 22:1 (NLT)

Every time.

I have 2 today. :D

Proverbs 22:9 said:
9.A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor.

Don't be stingy. If you can afford it, (or feel led) make sure you put that extra dollar in the salvation army tin, or give that person begging on the street a five for some food. You will be blessed for doing it out of generosity. :)

Proverbs 22:29 said:
29. Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings; he will not serve before obscure men.

Too awesome to fathom properly. 'nuff said. :D

One of the same verses as Pie, but this version (KJV) gives an additional dimension to think about:

Proverbs 22:9 He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor.

Having a bountiful eye means to see yourself as wealthy regardless of material circumstances. When you are trusting in the riches of God's love and provision enough that you don't see yourself as lacking, it's much easier to give of material things to others.

My child, if your heart is wise, my own heart will rejoice! Proverbs 23:15 (NLT)

From parent to child.

Proverbs 23:13 said:
13. Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.

14. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death.

Yet another reason why listening to the government on how to raise your child is bad. Remember a few years back when kids were calls CPS all the time because their parents spanked them? Yeah, those kids are all screwed up now and there is a reason why...

Proverbs 23:17 Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long.

Don't spend any time wishing you had what others have obtained by unrighteousness. One day it is them who will be envious of the wages of the righteous.

Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge.

Proverbs 23:12

Seems like we all were touched by the teen verses this morning. I appreciate you guys' faithfulness and choices in verses.

Back