GFC Proverbs Chapter a day Challenge (December)

Proverbs 15:9 The LORD detests the way of the wicked,
but He loves the one who pursues righteousness.

Now, what happens when a man thinks his ways are righteous, and are Biblical, but then seem wicked?

Proverbs 16:26 He that laboureth laboureth for himself; for his mouth craveth it of him.

This may not be the best application of this verse, but one thing I have discovered from it is that if I am having trouble getting something done that needs to be done, skipping a meal or two often fixes it pretty quick. The body tends to be much more compliant with the spirit when it remembers who's in charge of the food supply.

People may be pure in their own eyes, but the Lord examines their motives. Proverbs 16:2 (NLT)

When people’s lives please the Lord, even their enemies are at peace with them. Proverbs 16:7 (NLT)

We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps. Proverbs 16:9 (NLT)

Our part - His part.

For there are six things the Lord hates—no, seven: Haughtiness, Lying, Murdering, Plotting evil, Eagerness to do wrong, A false witness, Sowing discord among brothers. Proverbs 6:16-19 (TLB)

You do not want to find yourself doing the things God hates.

The sad thing is how easy it is to do. Remember murder can also be seen, from Jesus's view point, in the Sermon on the Mount.

21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.
Matthew 5:21-22

As you can see there is a comparison between murder and anger. Which I struggle with daily. Anger is a very dangerous emotion that can not only hurt others but can be a barrier between our relationship with God.

Last edited:
It's the struggles that show we are human - it's the victories that show we are His.

Proverbs 16:2 said:
2. All a man's ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the Lord.

Ever have that feeling of "I got away with something" and it may be minor, like the time the soda machine gave you 2 sodas for the price of one (Well last time it ate my dollar) or "I didn't see anything wrong with staying over at my friends house without telling you."

We as humans try to rationalize any sin we have to make ourselves feel better about, so we are innocent of all charges in our own eyes. However it is what the Lord says about our heart condition that matters most.

Proverbs 16: 3 Commit your activities to the LORD
and your plans will be achieved

Amen! Amen! Amen!

Love it when God shows me something in real life then I see it in His word

Proverbs 17: 1 Better a dry crust with peace
than a house full of feasting with strife.

I think, when we are "feasting" we can more easily loose track of what is really important.

He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends. Proverbs 17:9 (NIV)

I also like the New Living version of the verse,

Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends. Proverbs 17:9 (NLT)

Proverbs 17:14 The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.

A lot of times in a disagreement we feel compelled to push our "rightness" further than we should and great destruction comes from it, whereas if we had been a little more humble a more positive outcome would have been reached.

Proverbs 17:10 said:
10. A rebuke impresses a man of discernment more than a hundred lashes a fool.

A man of discernment... That's the hardest part of this verse. Yes we all might say that we would listen to a rebuke, but would we really? be honest with yourself. Our natural reaction is to go on the defensive and try to push the rebuke away from ourselves.

We have to stop that habit and stat listening when a rebuke is given, otehrwise we will never grow further in the Lord.

33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
and be at ease, without fear of harm."

Proverbs 1:33

Not much needs to be said here. God is not saying he will provide an easy life. Quite the contrary, often Christians have a difficult time with the pressures of this world. What he is saying is he will take care of us. We don't have to fear the things of this world as we know where we are going and we know who we serve.

it goes right along with the verse Bowser posted today:

In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world —John 16:33

I love the book of Proverbs!

Last edited:
Fools do not want to understand anything. They only want to tell others what they think. Proverbs 18:2 (NCV)

Don't you see this verse played out in real life ALL THE TIME?

The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous run to it and are safe.

Proverbs 18:10

Thank you Lord!

Proverbs 18:9 said:
9. One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys.

This one got to me today as I just had my end of year performance evaluation and my boss gave me high marks for being diligent in my work. It would be so easy for me, because I work alone, to slack off and put things off, however, seeing the consequences of those bad actions, and not allowing them to happen has paid off. :)

This one got to me today as I just had my end of year performance evaluation and my boss gave me high marks for being diligent in my work. It would be so easy for me, because I work alone, to slack off and put things off, however, seeing the consequences of those bad actions, and not allowing them to happen has paid off. :)

Congrats!

Proverbs 18:14 The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?

There are some things that strength alone will not overcome and a wounded spirit is one of these. To try and endure by sealing it up and locking it away to continue on with life as if there is no problem is only going to make it worse. Sometimes the thing you have to do to get better is to let go of your strength and just cry it all out and let the Lord reach down to take care of you from there.

Proverbs 19:7 All the brethren of the poor do hate him: how much more do his friends go far from him? he pursueth them with words, yet they are wanting to him.

Don't be surprised to find out more people really care about your material substance rather than your spiritual substance, but when you do find someone who sticks by you no matter what make sure you appreciate them for the rare gift they are. It's not something commonly found in this world.

Proverbs 19:15: Slothfulness casts into a deep sleep,
and an idle person will suffer hunger.

Do yourself a favor and learn all you can; then remember what you learn and you will prosper. Proverbs 19:8 (TEV)

I like the Good News Bible on this verse.

Back