GFC Proverbs Chapter a day Challenge (December)

Proverbs 6:26 For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread: and the adultress will hunt for the precious life.

A woman (or a man) without discretion isn't really interested in the people they interact with, only what they can get out of them.

First off, I want to point out that from here on out, Solomon spends a lot of his time warning against the adulteress... Makes you wonder if he wrote some of these before or after his fall from grace?

I always had the impression Solomon might have thought he was getting around the adultery issue by marrying every woman he saw. Technically that makes it not adultery in the literal sense of the word, but it backfired just as badly nonetheless. The much later verse of "God is not mocked" comes to mind.

Proverbs 6:6-7 said:
6. Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!

7. It has no commander, no overseer or ruler,

This is something that hit me kinda hard, because, well it is how I live my life at work.

You see, at work I really do not have much supervision from my boss at all. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of times he has come over to visit me and give me any instruction. 99% of his instructions come via email or phone conversations...

So I have had to learn how to make good decisions myself and learn how to work without any direct input. Why is it so hard for people to realize that you can work in this manner? Why do they choose to be lazy?

Somethings I will never understand..

I always had the impression Solomon might have thought he was getting around the adultery issue by marrying every woman he saw. Technically that makes it not adultery in the literal sense of the word, but it backfired just as badly nonetheless. The much later verse of "God is not mocked" comes to mind.

Ah, but is it adultery if he was with wife 657 and he was thinking about how beautiful wife 45 is? Makes one wonder... Good thing God looks on the heart.

So listen to me, my sons, and pay attention to my words. Don’t let your hearts stray away toward her. Don’t wander down her wayward path. Proverbs 7:24-25 (NLT)

It's not just the prostitute - but anything or anyone that would lead you astray.

Proverbs 4:13 Hold on to instruction; don't let go. Guard it, for it is your life.

Proverbs 4 15 Avoid it; don't travel on it. Turn away from it, and pass it by.

LOL, I read this right after HCS said that there was freezing rain intersecting my commute path

Proverbs 5:10 strangers will drain your resources, and your earnings will end up in a foreigner's house.

A big ole Amen to this

Proverbs 6: 23 For a commandment is a lamp, teaching is a light, and corrective instructions are the way to life.

I am reading from a different translation this time and it has made the verses jump out so much more. I keep finding myself say wow, that makes so much more sense

Nothing from 7 is jumping out at me right now. I will re-read later

Proverbs 7:10-12 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart. (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house: Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)

A woman of good heart is content with her home, even when it's not ideal, and not constantly looking to escape it.

Ah, but is it adultery if he was with wife 657 and he was thinking about how beautiful wife 45 is? Makes one wonder... Good thing God looks on the heart.

I don't think he would have gotten to wife 657 if he was spending much time thinking how beautiful any of them were past the initial acquisition.

Proverbs 7: 10-23 said:
10. Then out came a woman to meet him, dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.

11. (She is loud and defiant, her feet never stay at home;

12. now in the street, now in the squares, at every corner she lurks.)

13. She took hold of him and kissed him and with a brazen face she said:

14."I have fellowship offerings at home; today I fulfilled my vows.

15. So I came out to meet you; I looked for you and have found you!

16. I have covered my bed with colored linens from Egypt.

17. I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.

18. Come, let's drink deep of love till morning; let's enjoy ourselves with love!

19. My husband is not at home; he has gone on a long journey.

20. He took his purse filled with money and will not be home till full moon."

21. With persuasive words she led him astray; she seduced him with her smooth talk.

Reminds me a lot of my post back on the fifth . She used her smooth talk and filled his mind with delight. yes he was simple, but at the same time, a woman (whom you could obviously see was a prostitute) propositioned him and he went with it, even though he had some inkling of all she really wanted... Sad really. Wisdom is supreme and will keep men and women from such snares as this.

I don't think he would have gotten to wife 657 if he was spending much time thinking how beautiful any of them were past the initial acquisition.

This is true. That is one of the reasons I think he writes in Proverbs 5
Proverbs 5:18 said:
May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.

I have a feeling that he regretted his choices later in life and wanted to go back to his first love...

Proverbs 7:26 For she has brought many down to death;
her victims are countless

Nothing really jumped out at me in this chapter, the above quote came closest.

Proverbs 8:13 To fear the LORD is to hate evil. I hate arrogant pride, evil conduct, and perverse speech.

14 I possess good advice and competence; I have understanding and strength.

I love the confidence and command portrayed by Wisdom. That confidence and command can only come from One.

Proverbs 8:15-16 By me kings reign, and princes decree justice. By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.

A ruler without wisdom won't keep his position long. This goes for countries, but it also goes for households, too.

I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me. Proverbs 8:17 (NIV)

Praise the Lord for that!

Proverbs 9:9 Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still;
teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

Can't help but think about the foolish man and his lack of wisdom and the road it takes him down when I read this. (oh an how I don't want to be that foolish man)

Proverbs 9:7 He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.

It is always tempting to want to share wisdom with somebody that doesn't have it, but if they have no heart to appreciate it you will come to regret it. A right heart always has to come first before right knowledge can be of any use.

Proverbs 8:23 NKJV. I have been established from everlasting, From the beginning, before there was ever an earth.

What an awesome thing to be able to say. :D :D Sorry, nothing too profound here, just thinking of how awesome this would have been.

I wouldn't underestimate the profoundess of this. Considering the sheer magnitude and wonder of all the things He has brought into existence, our lives and all the details of them that we get so worked up over are so small and insignificant in comparison. Considering this insignificance shows us the extreme depth of His love for us that He should care about us and the things we go through so much anyway.

She has prepared a great banquet, mixed the wines, and set the table. She has sent her servants to invite everyone to come. She calls out from the heights overlooking the city. “Come in with me,” she urges the simple. To those who lack good judgment, she says, “Come, eat my food, and drink the wine I have mixed. Leave your simple ways behind, and begin to live; learn to use good judgment.” Proverbs 9:2-6 (NLT)

I love the imagery of Wisdom preparing a place and inviting us to come and sup.

Proverbs 9:1 said:
1.Wisdom has built her house; she has hewn out its seven pillars.

She prepares the place for the people before going out to get them... Make sure you are ready before trying to help people along the road to wisdom.

Proverbs 10:27 The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.

This is a good verse to contemplate for those people who think just being saved is goal enough in Christian life. Being saved will get you into heaven and allow you to fellowship with God which is the most important and necessary goal to reach, but by itself is no justification for continuing to remain in the world once accomplished. Heaven is a better place after all and it would be more ideal to just go straight there after salvation, but God has work He wants us to do while remaining here and if we shirk that work, or even worse, become damaging to it, then what profit does He gain letting us continue our lives here?

God may have some amount of patience with the unsaved wicked because being unwilling that any should perish He hopes that one day they, too, will see the truth and turn from their ways, but a Christian who willingly pursues wickedness (wickedness as a heart condition, not as a categorization of good and bad things since all things are said to be lawful as long as they're done with right heart and in faith) and brings harm to the Kingdom in doing so, what reason does He have to be patient with that?

Back