GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge! (Book Of Proverbs) October!

Proverbs 21:1 said:
1. The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.

All too often we forget that God directs where the world is going. Whether it be via King or President. Remember, while you may or may not agree with whats going on in the world. All these things have to happen before Christ comes back. Its written in the Bible. :)

Proverbs 22:4 By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and life.

Sometimes in our walk with Christ and when dealing with others, we can forget what things were like for us before we got saved or were less mature in our knowledge and faith. We can also forget that where we are at now is not the apex of where God ultimately wants us to be. Fear of the Lord is certainly a necessity in our lives, but by itself is not of as much practical use if we don't maintain humility with it as well.

Proverbs 22:15 said:
15. Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.

Folly is different than being a fool. I remember growing up how my mom would look at us (my sister and I) when we did something and take a deep breath, deciding if what we had done was out of disobedience or child foolishness (meaning we didn't know any better). Many things children do because they do not understand the discipline that some things in life are not for them to do. The rod here may not be a physical rod, it may be a verbal one, where a parents takes the time to explain why this folly was not something to do. The rod of discipline will stay with the kids as they grow up. Keeping them from making those same foolish mistakes.

Proverbs 23:31-32 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

This is the way of a lot of sin. Temptation wouldn't be temptation if it weren't somehow appealling. Something that looks really nice or feels really good can easily turn on you and cause great harm once it has you in its grasp. We wouldn't need to be warned about sin if we were naturally repulsed by it.

Proverbs 23:26 said:
26. My son, give me your heart and let your eyes keep to my ways,

I'll be honest, until recently this verse really meant nothing to me, however that has since changed. A son giving his father his heart doesn't mean literally, but it does mean that the two should have a close relationship. Boys when they first like a girl have a bad habit of either playing too cool and hurting her feelings or jumping in too fast and getting tangled up. By giving his father his heart, he is letting his dad safeguard his affections. By being able to talk to his father about girl's is a huge blessing. Especially if a young man watches his father and sees how he treats the fairer gender of the species. And when the time comes and the son can talk to the dad about a girl in particular, the father, who has wiser eyes, will be able to tell the son "well done, here is your heart, you have my blessing to give it to her."

Its amazing how often parents see something that we miss.

Proverbs 24:16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

The righteous aren't spared from having hard times in this life unfortunately, but unlike the wicked they will rise back up again each time.

Proverbs 24: 17-18 said:
17. Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice,

18. or the LORD will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from him.

Even when the bad guy get's his just comeuppance, don't revel in it. Justice will be met, instead, keep your focus on God and let His will be done.

Proverbs 25:11 said:
11. A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.

Have you ever seen the look on someone's face when you say just the right thing to them to make their day better? Its a beautiful thing. :) Being given the wisdom to know what to say and when to say it blesses others. :)

Proverbs 22: 1 A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

I love this verse. It reminds me that I have a reputation that is associated with my name. I need to keep myself on track so that I keep my name in good standing.

Proverbs 23: 4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.

WOW This is the first time I have seen this verse, warning to not be a work-aholic.

Proverbs 24: 26 An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips.

I don't think I have much more to add to this. It just emphasizes Honesty is the best policy

Proverbs 25:21 If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.

Later in the New Testament, we are told others will know us by the love we show. But anyone can show love to a friend. It takes more effort to show it to an enemy.

Last edited:
There were so many good verses today it was hard for me to pick just one...

Proverbs 26:2 said:
2.Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse does not come to rest.

Our words have far more power than we would think. Which is one of the reasons curses are so powerful. Think about it, how many times has someone said "I wish you would die!" and then within days that person is dead? How much did their words affect that?

Proverbs is telling us that a curse that has no place will not come to rest. If we are living as Christ would want us to live, then nothing can touch us except by His command. :)

Provebrs 27: 11 Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart; then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt.

It is amazing how much easier things are when my kids are behaving as they should and not act like a fool

Proverbs 27:10 said:
10. Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father, and do not go to your brother's house when disaster strikes you-- better a neighbor nearby than a brother far away.

Get to know your neighbors. Make friends with people. That way you have them when disaster strikes. Just remember its a 2 way street.

Proverbs 28: 23 He who rebukes a man will in the end gain more favor than he who has a flattering tongue.

Those who only flatter and do not offer correction can allow a sin to continue which in turn allows more of the offense to spread. If you offer the rebuke, then you are stopping something bad from spreading

Once again so many good verses...

Proverbs 28:5 said:
5. Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the LORD understand it fully.

How many times have we asked "Where is the justice in that?" The more we seek the Lord and learn about Him, the more we will understand His purpose and our views will be come more like His. Much the way a child studies his or her parents and takes cues from them. :)

Proverbs 28:28 said:
28. When the wicked rise to power, people go into hiding; but when the wicked perish, the righteous thrive.

With today's political climate, this verse as well as verses 5, 9, 11, 12, 15... All go together... No more from the peanut gallery though. :)

Proverbs 29:10 said:
10. Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.

Do you ever feel like you are the only Christian around in your company? (Work company) You are the only birthday candle in a very dark place. When you feel like you are being persecuted by your boss, your co-workers and the like, it is probably true. Especially if you are doing what God wants you to do. They see the light and scorn it. Your integrity makes you a target. Is it easy walking around with a bulls eye on your back? No. However you will be rewarded in other ways, both here on earth and especially in heaven for doing what God has asked of you. :)

Proverbs 28:19 He that tilleth his land shall have plenty of bread: but he that followeth after vain persons shall have poverty enough.
Proverbs 28:20 A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent.

I am posting these two together because to me they are very related and meaningful in my life. I've mentioned before my occupation consists of working at home with computer games, and these verses have a lot to do with my business activities.

The analogy of tilling land I find insightful because we're not always given the luxury of choosing what land we have available to us to be able to till in the first place. Even when the Jews were moving into the promised land, the land that they were given was established by lot, not by personal choice, so this seems an important part of God's design.

Being disabled and having a dependent family to take care of really places a lot of limits on what I have to work with. Honestly it's very rare that my business activities generate more than a dollar or two an hour which most people would decide as being completely unworthy of their time. However, God doesn't say that in tilling our field we'll only get for it what it's worth, but that we will get plenty and if we are faithful we will abound in blessings for it, and in several years of following this I have never once found it to be untrue. There have been a couple times where my fields have suddenly failed despite my work in them like the one I mentioned in another thread recently, but in every case it has always turned out to be because God had prepared for me a new field to move into so the provision has never been lacking even when the circumstances have seemed to change.

Now I do know that I am saying this now from a position of having disability and veterans benefits to fall back on so it may not seem like real faith after all to those that know that about me, but the time when I started was a time that was much more desperate, being a dirt poor single mother two thousand miles away from family, alone and sick but not yet diagnosed with what I would eventually be considered legally disabled from, and I adamantly decided to put my faith in this no matter what other people might say so that I could stay home with my son and take care of my health and God never failed me then so I have no reason to believe He ever will in the future either.

Proverbs 30:21-23 said:
21."Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up:

22. a servant who becomes king, a fool who is full of food,

23. an unloved woman who is married, and a maidservant who displaces her mistress.

I was reading this verse and it occurred to me that in popular culture these things the earth cannot bear are becoming more and more mainstream. A married woman has an affair and leaves her husband for a man who wooed her, a servant who poisons her mistress so she can take her place...

A servant who becomes king. Isn't that the premise of many a story? Rising above our status in life? Interesting how the world can't bear that.

Proverbs 31:9 Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.

Righteousness is not only about what we do in our own lives, but also what we do for others in weaker positions than ourselves.

Proverbs 31:11 said:
11. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

How many husbands can say they have full confidence in their wives? How many husbands give their wives their full confidence?

Trust is something that a husband and wife should have in each other. Trust is built as they build a relationship. How are you working on your relationship with your spouse?

Back