GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge! (Book Of Proverbs) October!

Proverbs 8:5 Learn to be shrewd, you who are inexperienced; develop common sense, you who are foolish.

I could have stopped right here and not read the entire chapter. How many times have I seen this verse and not noticed it. I think the verse says it all

Proverbs 9:12 If you are wise, you are wise for your own benefit; if you mock, you alone will bear [the consequences]."

Proverbs 9:3 said:
3. She has sent out her maids, and she calls from the highest point of the city.

She sends out her maids. She sent out people she trusted to bring people to her table. Much the same way that Jesus sent us out to gather the lost. :)

Proverbs 10:31 The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be cut out.

As I read through this chapter, the contradictions between the wise and the foolish really jumped out at me. It's is amazing because of the division between where I am and where my older daugher is spiritually. Tonight, I asked her who her savior is? We attended a Kidz Fest at church and saw a couple of awesome performers. Her response to my question..."I am getting a headache" I have long suspected that the one in her heart is herself, not it has been confirmed. At this point, I am not sure what to do, now, I am concerned for her. God will find a way to convict her.

Proverbs 10:18 said:
18. He who conceals his hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool.

Concealing a hurt is a bad thing. If someone has wronger you in anyway, you should go to them right away, otherwise that hurt festers and well turn into slander, which will turn you into a fool.

Proverbs 11:29 said:
29. He who brings trouble on his family will inherit only wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise.

Going to your family for help is fine. But don't cause your family to have trouble because of your actions.

Make sure you read Verse 1 in the NIV. :D

Proverbs 12:4 said:
4. A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.

A wife is trained by her mother. I fear for the coming generation of girl's who are not raised in a home with a mother who can train them... Mother's and Father's need to train their children on how to be a wife of noble character.

Proverbs 12: 16 A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.

By keeping ourselves and our emotions in check, we will show that we are not fools

Proverbs 13: 20 He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.

It is easier to learn wisdom from one who is wise, either by teaching or experience compared to following a fool who will lead us down a bad path. Aren't we warned in previous chapters to not follow the ways of the foolish?

Proverbs 13:3 said:
3. He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.

In the past few days I have come very close in emails and phone conversations to bringing myself to ruin. I need to watch it else I have an issue in my life. "Careless lips sink ships as the saying goes... " Need to pray more for a bridle on my tongue.

P14: 14 The faithless will be fully repaid for their ways, and the good man rewarded for his.

just remember, it may not be immediate. Other times, it may come in bigger ways than anticipated.

P15:13 A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.

P16: 21 The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction.

Proverbs 14:5 said:
5.A truthful witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies.

Telling the truth isn't just in court, its in everyday life. If you don't tell the truth in the small things, how can you be trusted in the bigger things?

Proverbs 15:1 said:
1. A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

I struggle with this verse as when I normally try this, the wrath of the person is still there and continues with a defensive attitude... It wasn't until recently that I realized that the gentle answer that turns away wrath isn't necessarily the person I am speaking to. It is my own attitude that changes and my wrath that is turned away. Keeping me from sin. I cannot control how the person will react. but I can control my own feelings.

Proverbs 16: 3 said:
3. Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.

Commit it all. Everything you do, from getting up in the morning to eating dinner to driving. Commit the plans you have to the Lord. Even the smallest things. Faith is in the things we cannot see. :)

Proverbs 17: 24 said:
24. A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth.

How many times have you heard the words "Just wait until I get that promotion?" "I can't wait to get out of this town." Their eyes continually wander the earth, trying to find somethign better. But if we fill our vision with wisdom, we fill our vision with Christ. The ultimate goal.

Proverbs 18:13 said:
13. He who answers before listening-- that is his folly and his shame.

This is something I do far too often. I try to guess what someone is going to say and then jump ahead to my own answer before actually listening to them... This one made me say ouch today...

P 19:21 Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

I kept thinking about all of the times I really wanted to do something good, but nothing came of it. It was only when God was ready for it, did the plans materialize

Proverbs 19:2 said:
2. It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.

Charging ahead without a plan, no matter how good your intentions are is one of the worst things you can do. Its better to take your time and get the knowledge first.

Proverbs 20:5 said:
5. The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out.

It takes wisdom to get to the heart of the matter. I realize in myself that I don't have anyone to really draw that out of me. Most peopel ahve a friend that knows them well enough to be able to read the deep waters and draw out what a problem is... I don't.

P 21: 22 A wise man attacks the city of the mighty and pulls down the stronghold in which they trust.

(can't formulate why this stood out, too early, with collect my thoughts and finish later tonight - NOTE to self - have coffee before trying to type LOL)

Proverbs 21:11 When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise: and when the wise is instructed, he receiveth knowledge.

Sometimes when we see people go through things we might have something come to mind to say to them but hesitate because we feel ourselves to be in a lesser position to have any business saying anything to them at all, but a wise person genuinely appreciates all counsel because even if an individual advisor doesn't have the total solution or even a complete picture of what is going on (and they often won't which is why we are also encouraged to keep a multitude of consellors; Proverbs 24:6), hearing an issue from someone else's perspective can still help put one on the path to finding the solution God desires. Even when we don't know people well, the same Holy Spirit resides in us all that knows each one of us better than we even know ourselves.

Back