GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge! (Book Of Proverbs) October!

the_great_eskimo_pie

Former Official Thread Killer
New thread for October for the Verse of the day.

Link back to the original so you can see if the verses have changed or not...

Same rules apply as before.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls,

I am pleased to announce a Bible Challenge!

This is open to anyone who wishes to participate.

The Challenge is thus:

Read 1 chapter of Proverbs a day for the entire month of September! Starting with chapter 1 all the way through chapter 30.

Now, to have accountability; The way to keep track of the challenge is to post at least 1 verse per day from the chapter you read, Preferably with a small comment about it on how it applies to your life.

Eskimo, it's Octobers challenge. Also there are 31 days in Oct and 31 Proverb verses. Smiles.

Blessings and Hugs, "Angel"

Proverbs 1:10 said:
10. My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them.

I'll be honest, sex is in my face every day, people make jokes, they tell tales... Its hard to not want to join in, (even though 95% of the time I have no idea what they are talking about) They entice, they tease. But I won't give in.

Proverbs 1:33 But whoever listens to me will live securely and be free from the fear of danger."

I have to admit, when I read this very, "Don't worry, be happy" started going through my head. If we following in the path of wisdom, and apply what we are taught, we will avoid the pitfalls that come from not knowing and therefore not have to worry about it.

Proverbs 2: 10 For wisdom will enter your mind, and knowledge will delight your heart. 11 Discretion will watch over you, and understanding will guard you, 12 rescuing you from the way of evil— from the one who says perverse things,

This verse relates to the one I quotes from Proverbs 1.

God really does want what is best for us and if we look, we will find what He has provided to us so that we will have what He is giving us.

Read 1 chapter of Proverbs a day for the entire month of September! Starting with chapter 1 all the way through chapter 30.

I think Litsafalda was referring to the rules

yes, you did put October in the title, but you put September in the rules and there are 31 chapters in Proverbs, not 30.

Proverbs 3:22 said:
22. they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck.

When someone wears a necklace, people know. When you have wisdom, knowledge and understanding, people will notice it on you. :)

Proverbs 3: 21My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion: 22So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck. 23Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.

I was thinking about this on my way home today. Not this verse directly, but the concept. I was having a "me" moment and feeling very full of myself for learning about some things at work in the detail that I have. Then I stopped and realized that this was not right and should I continue down this path, God would knock me back down. So, quickly, I though I about how much I have yet to learn and really became very humbled.

Cross posted on the CGA Verse of the day Forum and my blog

Proverbs 4:24 said:
24. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

Have you ever had one of those days where everything has hit the ceiling and you just can't take it anymore? Then, seemingly unbidden a word, some of the vilest you know, leaps to your tongue. And then you utter it...

Why does it happen? You're not trying to swear/cuss, but there it is. Right on the tip of your tongue.

Its your mindset. Think about it. Our world is inundated with language that is unbecoming. From TV shows to video games to movies to books.

So then, how does that affect you? Well, you hear and see these words used all the time. So you have them in your head within your vocabulary. Your mindset is "When people get frustrated, they tend to use these words" So when a stressful or tough situation comes up, your mind reacts to the, please excuse the term, garbage, you have seen or heard, and those words bubble forth. (A lot like Pavlovian psycho babble I know)

I'm not here to judge you or what you read or watch. I'm hoping to make you more aware of the mindset we all can get into. I'm as guilty as anyone. Perversion has touched my lips (I have swore, repented of it, but I have done it) We need to keep it far from us.

So maybe next time your watching that movie and the main "good guy" character swears for the 3rd time, maybe you should shut it off.

I remember reading about a young man a while back that stated "If a movie has more than 5 bad words in it, I will shut it off and not watch it." (I'm paraphrasing, and for the life of me I cannot remember his name)

I have found other people who feel the same way.

Remember Matthew 15:18
Matthew 15:18 said:
But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'

If you say it, it means you let it in your heart.

Food for thought...

Last edited:
Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

Doing right doesn't just benefit ourselves, but also anyone else who may happen to be looking our way.

Proverbs 5:16. said:
16. Should your springs overflow in the streets, your streams of water in the public squares?

Don't let your personal business get out of hand and out into the open. Keep your personal life personal.

Proverbs 4:14 Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men.

I am reminded of times when someone has approached taking a shortcut when working on something to get it done quicker, but not accurately. Often times, those "shortcuts are discovered at inopportune times and create more problems than they are worth. I know this is an old cliche, but when I am met with those circumstances, my reply is always, anything worth doing is worth doing right. I do not want to be a part of someone doing something they know is wrong

Proverbs 5: 8 Keep to a path far from her, do not go near the door of her house

Why tempt yourself to do something wrong?

Proverbs 6:2 if you have been trapped by what you said, ensnared by the words of your mouth,

Is not honesty always the best policy? How many times have lies come back around to bite the one that spoke them?

Proverbs 6:10 said:
10. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest--

11 and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man.

I'll be honest, I like to sleep. I like being lazy. However, As this verse points out. Being lazy won't get me anywhere in life, in fact, it will ruin my life.

Proverbs7:25 Do not let your heart turn to her ways or stray into her paths.

How many time does God warn us to guard our hearts. Whatever is in your heart, you will always find time to do, even if you say you are too busy for this or that.

Proverbs 7:7 said:
7. I saw among the simple, I noticed among the young men, a youth who lacked judgment.

When someone lacks judgment, it is easy to see. We need to make sure we follow the words of wisdom we have been given.

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

After Proverbs 1:7 we might find ourselves wondering what exactly the fear of the Lord means, but God gives us that answer here!

Proverbs 8:35 said:
35.For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord.

Find, that means you have to seek, That requires effort. Its not just going to land in your lap. You have to want it and then go for it...

Proverbs 9:6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Wisdom is not only about learning and adding wise activities and habits to your behavior, but also about turning away from what is unwise, too.

Back