Dragon Quest IX brings Tag Mode to America

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Tag Mode is Dragon Quest IX's passive wireless mode which is active only when the DS is placed into sleep mode. Tag mode is activated by speaking to Erinn at Quester's Rest and selecting the 'Canvass for guests' option. While in tag mode, Dragon Quest IX looks for other Dragon Quest IX games and exchanges data with them.

When data is exchanged, a clone of the main character from each game is placed in the other player's Quester's Rest. This cloned character holds an item which can then be received by talking to him/her. The clone then continues to stay in the upper floors of Quester's Rest unless dimissed by the player. Using tag mode like this, players can exchange various items including equipment and treasure maps with other Dragon Quest IX players.

Tag mode is wildly popular in Japan, breaking several records for most players communicating wirelessly while playing a video game. Treasure maps in particular are highly sought after as some are extremely rare with special items/equipment, while others contain excellent enemies for building levels. Tag mode, however, is dependent on the number of other Dragon Quest IX players using tag mode in any local area.
Source: Dragon Quest Wiki
For the first time in the series' history, Dragon Quest IX includes both online content and multiplayer. The game is extended beyond what's on the cartridge with downloadable quests and an online shop for rare items, but the real standout feature is the local multiplayer. At any time, up to three other players can join your game, replacing one of your party members with their own avatar. In addition, you can set the DS to "canvass for guests" and then close the system, at which point any other Dragon Quest IX-playing DS in wireless range sends a character into your inn. This is used not only for guest characters, but as a delivery method for rare treasure maps that unlock additional quests.

This content is both the most exciting and most disappointing aspect of DQIX. The "tag mode" content really needs a densely-populated area, full of like-minded gamers. This is wonderful for Japan, where public transportation is prevalent and Dragon Quest fandom is universal, but most of the US meets neither of these conditions. For the majority of players to have the opportunity to experience multiplayer, Dragon Quest IX essentially has to become a Pokemon-like phenomenon. Frustratingly, I am forced to look at this extremely interesting functionality as wasted potential. If only this had been adapted to work online.
Source: Review: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Relevant articles:

Dragon Quest IX: Protectors of the Starry Sky Preview for the Nintendo DS from 1UP.com

The Social Impact Of Dragon Quest IX’s Tag Mode In Japan

As a long-time gamer interested in Japanese culture, the US release of Dragon Quest IX and the decision to keep the game's Tag Mode presents several questions:
  • How likely is it that gamers or businesses will coordinate events based around or featuring DQIX Tag Mode interaction?
  • How likely is it that a person traveling in a more densely populated US city with frequently used mass transit (e.g. Chicago, New York City) would find new content through DQIX's Tag Mode?
  • How many copies of DQIX will Nintendo sell in the first month? In other words: Will the Dragon Quest franchise finally catch on and gain momentum in the North American market?
  • Does the Tag Mode feature really even matter in the large majority of North American settings?
Thoughts?

My first thought is I can just imagine someone playing DQ IX in a coffee shop, only to find true love a few tables down. My next thought is...I found it sad that DQ was less popular in North America than Final Fantasy back in the NES days...so many good memories playing DW4. I find it even sadder today, although it seems to be gaining some traction, but I think the NA audience is too into movies.

If I had one series to pick to see get the MMO treatment, it would be this one.

Last edited:
My next thought is...I found it sad that DQ was less popular in North America than Final Fantasy back in the NES days...so many good memories playing DW4.
DWI still holds place as my favorite translation ever.

My thoughts are that the game looks awesome from this review and that Gator and Grey want it. o.o

As for the sharing thing, I know a lot of those Pokemon gadgets are in use a lot. >_>

Seems there's going to be a special event for Dragon Quest IX owners in Gamestops across Canada in late July:
Magical mystery sources have confirmed exclusively to Gamefocus that select EB Games and Gamestops across Canada will be hosting special Dragon Quest events for customers to link up and share their DQ9 stuffs. On July 31st, 2010, from 2pm - 4pm, you can make your way to your special neighborhood trade hole and set your Slime farming game to "Tag-mode" to download treasures/maps through local Wi-Fi from other peeps
Source: EB Games/Gamestop Dragon Quest IX Tag-Mode Event

I wonder if we'll see an event like this in the US. If any business is going to host a shindig like this, it's probably going to have to be Gamestop.

Ugh, they need to release the entire DS catalog on the Wii already. At least DQX is definitely headed to the Wii.

Come on, guys...DQ swords-like control, motion+ support, and local/online co-op. /dreams

Does anyone live in a densely populated area and plan to buy (or already own) Dragon Quest IX? I'd be curious to see how a trip from point A to point B on public transportation with DQIX's Tag Mode enabled plays out.

My area is densely populated...with tasty cows. And I don't have a DS. So that makes this post pretty much worthless.

My area is densely populated...with tasty cows. And I don't have a DS. So that makes this post pretty much worthless.
Worthless, but I still laughed. lol

@Tek: I live in the Portland Metroplex, which has over two million people last I heard. I'd like to test this, but there's that whole "broke college student" problem in the way. Dragon Quest is too good, yet I still haven't beaten DQVIII. Sad day.

Worthless, but I still laughed. lol

@Tek: I live in the Portland Metroplex, which has over two million people last I heard. I'd like to test this, but there's that whole "broke college student" problem in the way. Dragon Quest is too good, yet I still haven't beaten DQVIII. Sad day.

"beaten", as in, implying that you have the game and yet have not played it fully. /sad

PS: Studio that dd DQ8 is the same group that did White Knight Chronicles. WKC is no dragon quest, but decent in its own right.

Well, I went and bought DQIX and it's quite entertaining thus far.

I'm guessing the made separate Canadian and US versions? Or do people use Canadian english (e.g. armour not armor) and you have the option to switch it to french in America too?

I think they use British spelling, I've seen a few non-American spelled words so far.

I'm guessing the made separate Canadian and US versions?
Typically, there are 3 main regions for any popular DS game release: Japan, Europe, and North America (sometimes referred to as US). Some titles will have country-specific releases (Korea being a prime example) in addition to the 3 main regions.

It's worth noting that the DS is not region-locked, which means you can import a DS game from Japan and play it on a North American DS. You may not be able to read much of the text, but you'll be able to play it. Then again, some games (Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary comes to mind) don't require much reading.

Ah, so they use real english even in the American version.

Also, the enemy are defeated.
I believe "the enemy are defeated" is correct grammar according to the Queen's English, though I may be mistaken.

Based on my brief experience with other Dragon Quest games, DQ titles use the Queen's English rather than "American" English. So sections of the game may look odd, but are technically correct (at least in England).

Though there is a typo early in the game. I just can't quite remember what it is.

Back to the main topic: I've been keeping an eye out for a US GameStop DQIX Tag Mode event like the one planned for late July in Canada, but I haven't seen any relevant news yet.

I did noticed that the local Wal-Mart had sold out of DQIX, which I hope means that the game is popular here locally (and not just that Wal-Mart underestimated demand for the game and only ordered a few copies).

Seems there's going to be a special event for Dragon Quest IX owners in Gamestops across Canada in late July:
Seems like select US Gamestop locations will participate in the DQIX event as well.

Part of me wants to show up at the start of the event and spend the afternoon playing multiplayer DQIX.

Part of me wants to set my DS to Tag Mode ahead of time, stash my DS in my pocket, and browse used game titles for 5-10 minutes, then walk out of the store.

Either way, I'm glad to see an event like this--even if it's held by Gamestop. Of course, since Gamestop has driven all the one-shot used game shops out of business, I guess they're the only video game specialty store in most towns.

EDIT: Any CGA community members considering attending Gamestop's DQIX Connect & Play event?

Last edited:
Back