Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 15 2004,8:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
God has also answered numerous prayers of mine. I can give you a first hand account of these if you wish.

I would LOVE to hear some accounts of your prayers. I'd love to hear about the prayers that WEREN'T answered. I'm willing to bet (my eternal life) that you have more UNanswered prayers than answered.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You have just stated the premise of anarchy.

The beginning may be similar by they take drastically different paths. Anarchy keeps the notion of the individual above all else. There is an absense of morality in anarchy. Please read my other posts, they will shed light on the situation.

For instance:

Humans are social animals who can make the greatest achievements through mutual cooperation

You can't have mutual cooperation in anarchy.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I would LOVE to hear some accounts of your prayers. I'd love to hear about the prayers that WEREN'T answered. I'm willing to bet (my eternal life) that you have more UNanswered prayers than answered.

Answered prayers:

One Christmas, several years ago, my mom worked as a nurse at a nearby hospital. She was recquired by schedule to work that morning. My family and I prayed that she could spend Christmas with us. Several minutes later her boss called, asking her if she wanted to take the day off.

I used to communicate with a member of the message board "BZPower.com" who went by the screen name of "White Seiger". He was not a christian, and it was made obvious to me by communication between me and him that he had problems in his life (the specifics of which I am still not sure of). I prayed daily for him for several months. Later on I noticed his screen name elsewhere. His signature quoted a verse from the book of John. I sent him a private message, asking him if he was a christian, and he said that he indeed was.

A man I met at my local flea market by the name of Naibe (pronounced: Nai-eeb) was about to undergo eye surgery, as his vision was failing. My family and I prayed for him, asking that the Lord would see to it that the surgery would be successful. The next time we saw him his vision was crystal clear.

As for unanswered prayers, I can name a few. A friend of my family recently lost his wife. She divorced him. We prayed that she would come back, and she did, temporarily, only to leave again.

My grandfather is, to put it mildly, an immoral person. We have been praying for him for a very long time now, but have seen no change of heart.

With these two examples, however, the fact remains: How can you help someone who chooses to make bad decisions?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Judges 6:1 Then the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD. So the LORD delivered them into the hand of Midian for seven years.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The beginning may be similar by they take drastically different paths. Anarchy keeps the notion of the individual above all else. There is an absense of morality in anarchy. Please read my other posts, they will shed light on the situation.

For instance:

Humans are social animals who can make the greatest achievements through mutual cooperation

You can't have mutual cooperation in anarchy.

Can individuals not work mutually for the cause of immorality?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Can individuals not work mutually for the cause of immorality?

Absolutely!

But the very act of those individuals working together negates anarchy.

Thank you for sharing your prayers, I know they can be personal.

The problem I have with prayer and faith is what the Bible says about them. Being able to move mountains and to receive whatever you ask for. There is no hidden text there, the verses are quite clear.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask Me what you desire and it shall be done for you.

Do you abide in the Lord?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But the very act of those individuals working together negates anarchy.

Anarchy has nothing to do with the absense of cooperation; it has to do with the absense of leadership. (The suffix "a" or "an" meaning "no" or "without" and "archy" meaning "leader"). In the case of subjective morality, the evil of yesterday can soon become the good of today, and vice versa. Because of this, there is no absolute; no leadership, therefore deeming the establishment as anarchy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anayo @ Oct. 15 2004,7:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask Me what you desire and it shall be done for you.

Do you abide in the Lord?

No, I do not. But then again, I don't pray and ask God for things either.

Was there a time I did, yes, but no longer, and not for a while.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But the very act of those individuals working together negates anarchy.

Anarchy has nothing to do with the absense of cooperation; it has to do with the absense of leadership. (The suffix "a" or "an" meaning "no" or "without" and "archy" meaning "leader"). In the case of subjective morality, the evil of yesterday can soon become the good of today, and vice versa. Because of this, there is no absolute; no leadership, therefore deeming the establishment as anarchy.

Are you referring to Anarchy as a form of government or as a form of morality? They are a bit different.

As far as subjective morality goes, look at the US government. At one point in time, blacks and women had little to no rights. That was a MORAL judgement. Times changed and the evil of yesterday becomes the good of today, blacks and women now have rights and are treated as equals. Does that mean we live under a system of anarchy? Of course not, there is still leadership, there is just no moral absolute. It's fluid, flexible. It allows for change.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 15 2004,8:31)]Are you referring to Anarchy as a form of government or as a form of morality? They are a bit different.

As far as subjective morality goes, look at the US government. At one point in time, blacks and women had little to no rights. That was a MORAL judgement. Times changed and the evil of yesterday becomes the good of today, blacks and women now have rights and are treated as equals. Does that mean we live under a system of anarchy? Of course not, there is still leadership, there is just no moral absolute. It's fluid, flexible. It allows for change.
I refer to anarchy as an establishment that makes up what is right and wrong as they go. Is prejudice towards blacks and women right today? No.
Was prejudice towards blacks and women right one hundred years ago? No. It was always wrong, it merely took our culture that long to abide by it. Were the human sacrifice rituals done by the South American Mayan's hundreds of years ago right? No. Was the Nazi idealism created by Adolf Hitler right? No. These things were always wrong. But if what is always right or wrong were to switch places, which happens to be a completely plausible occurance in the mindset of subjective morality, then society itself would fall apart. Subjective morality is anarchy. To say that morality is nothing more than what we choose to make of it is to undermine the very significance of human life.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To say that morality is nothing more than what we choose to make of it is to undermine the very significance of human life.

That is the ESSENCE of human life. To learn from our mistakes and to come together as a people to make ourselves better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Subjective morality is anarchy.

Do you then believe that we are living under a state of anarchy? The United States was based upon subjective morality.

Since you have nothing but disdain for subjective morality, I will assume that you believe in the objective variety.

And this morality comes from...? God? The Bible?

The same God that condoned slavery?

That would mean that, according to the objective morality of the Bible (and since God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow) that YOU would condone slavery as well. Correct?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To say that morality is nothing more than what we choose to make of it is to undermine the very significance of human life.

That is the ESSENCE of human life. To learn from our mistakes and to come together as a people to make ourselves better.

Our mistakes were ultimately wrong to begin with! Right and wrong is absolute; we are not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Do you then believe that we are living under a state of anarchy? The United States was based upon subjective morality.

The United States was built upon the belief that all men posessed equal rights granted to them by God. I believe that anarchy is on the rise in America.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And this morality comes from...? God? The Bible?
Both.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The same God that condoned slavery?
The God that sanctioned slavery.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1 Samuel 2:6 "The LORD kills and makes alive; He brings down to the grave and brings up."

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That would mean that, according to the objective morality of the Bible (and since God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow) that YOU would condone slavery as well. Correct?
I will condone whatever God chooses to sanction.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Romans 3:5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteouness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath?

Sanction: to give effective or authoritative approval or consent to

God APPROVES and CONSENTS to slavery.

How does a God consisting of ultimate Love and Compassion approve of slavery?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Our mistakes were ultimately wrong to begin with! Right and wrong is absolute; we are not.

How does one learn, if not by mistakes? Our own and by others. If right and wrong are absolutes, what are they? Who deems them?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The United States was built upon the belief that all men posessed equal rights granted to them by God. I believe that anarchy is on the rise in America.

EH? I suggest you look at history with a subjective eye.

Give this a read: The Christian Nation Myth, by Farrell Till

The Treaty of Tripoli, written during the administration of President George Washington, signed by President John Adams and unanimously approved by the Senate in 1797, stated, "The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion." Six years later James Madison wrote, "The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries."

I think you need to brush up on your history.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 16 2004,11:02)]How does one learn, if not by mistakes?  Our own and by others.  If right and wrong are absolutes, what are they?  Who deems them?
I don't think anyone 'deems' them; I believe that they just are.  No person, no culture, no god decided what was right and what was wrong; it's all based upon the fundamental and intrinsic properties of the human being.

I am the one who Voted No...

Because no matter what anyone says here it will never affect my Faith in Jesus Christ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ByblosHex @ Oct. 16 2004,8:23)]I am the one who Voted No...

Because no matter what anyone says here it will never affect my Faith in Jesus Christ.
And that, my friend, is precisely your problem.

Byblos, you are being hypocritical.

You expect non-theists to lay aside everything they believe in and believe in what you do.

Yet you are not willing to do the same.

Why then, with your attitude, should anyone put their own beliefs aside if you won't award them the same respect.

If what you say is true, and you are here to convert other people, you are doing an abysmal job.

You simply CAN'T with that attitude, it's not fair.

Im not being hypocritical... im saying I will not listen to anyone but God and I am saying you should do the same.. there is no hypocrosy there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ByblosHex @ Oct. 16 2004,9:24)]Im not being hypocritical... im saying I will not listen to anyone but God and I am saying you should do the same.. there is no hypocrosy there.
I'm going to make that into a bumper sticker!

Exactly, he said he will not be swayed by anything you say to him. He never implied that he is trying to convert others while he himself is being stubborn. And how is that statement hypocritical? I agree.

Ok, let me break this down.

Byblos has his theistic beliefs.

Nontheists have their beliefs.

Byblos would like nontheists to put their beliefs aside and be theistic.

Byblos refuses to put his beliefs aside and listen to nontheistic thought.

Therefore, Byblos is asking a nontheist to do something that he, himself, is not willing to do. Thus, hypocrisy.

Byblos has stated in another thread that he believes his job is to show others God's way, thus, converting them.

That's all Christians jobs. To evangelise. Tell people the truth. Byblos however is not just trying to convert people on this topic. He is saying no matter what people say, he will not change his position between him and God.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rithkil @ Oct. 16 2004,9:39)]That's all Christians jobs. To evangelise. Tell people the truth. Byblos however is not just trying to convert people on this topic. He is saying no matter what people say, he will not change his position between him and God.
That is exactly what I just said Rithkil.

He refuses to change his point of view, yet he is asking nontheists to change theirs.

How is that fair?

Back