Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• Other (explain)

• Total voters
Thaaat smarts of hypocrisy to me. You are asking us to do something that you are not willing to do in return, in essence. That is ok?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr.Bill @ Oct. 16 2004,9:46)]Thaaat smarts of hypocrisy to me. You are asking us to do something that you are not willing to do in return, in essence. That is ok?
LOL, see what I mean?

You guys just don't want to be challenged, but get your beliefs heard. You could be called the same.

Like loj you bend strech even hide because you cant deny what there infront of your eye when you say 5 i say few

What am I asking you to do that I am not?

I say, Listen to God above all humans and science. That is what I do. THere is no Hypocrasy there.

Yikes, there's too much anger in this room.

I'll try to clarify the atheistic position, at the very least from my own perspective.

Regarding twisting of words.

This is something I have never actively sought to do myself, but it seems a problem with people versus DV. Reading DV's posts, I don't usually see where he twists words. If you believe where he is twisting words, perhaps you should endevour to clarify your points. A number of times he has requested a point be clarified after being accused of taking it wrong, yet people rarely correct him and tell him what they DID mean.

If something DV has said hasn't made sense, and you think he got the wrong end of the stick so to speak, tell him in a civil manner. I'm beginning to dislike this forum because so many times it resorts to heated arguments.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You guys just don't want to be challenged, but get your beliefs heard. You could be called the sam

What is this? We ARE being challenged, right here, right now. We have been challenged, and expected to be challenged each and every time we post. If we didn't expect to be challenged, what would be the point? Speaking personally, I want to know reasons such as why people believe in God, how they arrived at the conclusion that their belief was the correct one, inconsistencies in various doctrines and philosophies etc. If you have read the Creationism: Right or Wrong? thread, started by me when I first arrived, you will notice I changed my stance several times according to new information presented to me. Guess what? The majority of the stuff I learned was the result of my being challenged by Christians. Did I change my beliefs? No. I still haven't had all my questions answered.

Finally, the point DV has been trying to make is that while we are prepared to compromise, look at new things and take them into consideration, be flexible in short, we are still capable of being corrected on things that can be proven wrong. Thus far, NO ONE has provided concise, logical proof that God exists, aside from ambiguous stuff like the complexities of nature, the way mathematics and science seem to complement each othe so well. One thing we are all overlooking is that NO ONE knows for sure, and if you say God did it, it is no more than your OPINION.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rithkil @ Oct. 16 2004,10:19)]You guys just don't want to be challenged, but get your beliefs heard. You could be called the same.
I have stated many, many times, that if I am wrong, I will adjust my beliefs.

That's the WHOLE point of science.

If I wasn't open to what the other side thinks, why would I bother asking your opinion? Why would I bother trying to learn anything from you?

Be critical and look at the situation and you will see that both sides aren't willing to be equal. If you can't see that, you are turning a blind eye to the truth. If that's the case, you are now guilty of what you claim us to be guilty of.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ByblosHex @ Oct. 17 2004,5:28)]What am I asking you to do that I am not?

I say, Listen to God above all humans and science. That is what I do. THere is no Hypocrasy there.
Byblos, how many times do I have to say this?

YOU want US to put aside OUR beliefs and believe in YOUR way.

However, YOU are NOT willing to listen ANYTHING WE have to say.

That, my friend, is hypocrisy.

Keep saying it but its meaningless... I say have faith in God. Your beleifs are worthless and only apply to this small little planet. Once you leave this planet all of your 'intelligence' is nothing.

Hypocracsy is saying something and not doing it yourself..
and I have turned my back on science and follow only God... and thats what I am preaching.. Soo, if Im doing what I am saying that is not Hypocrasy..

Oh Byblos. I'm sick and tired of repeating myself.

If you want to live that way, then fine. But by not giving other people's beliefs respect, do not expect to get any respect back in turn.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheJfreak @ Oct. 17 2004,3:30)]Like loj you bend strech even hide because you cant deny what there infront of your eye when you say 5 i say few
care to clearify that one Jfreak.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh Byblos. I'm sick and tired of repeating myself.

If you want to live that way, then fine. But by not giving other people's beliefs respect, do not expect to get any respect back in turn.

It' true. What happens after death? What hope do you have?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It' true. What happens after death? What hope do you have?

If I told you I thought my consciousness will be snuffed out, as though it never existed, how would that work out?

I'm not afraid to vanish without a trace. As long as I enjoy life. And help out people along the way. At least then I will have left my mark.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rithkil @ Oct. 17 2004,2:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh Byblos. I'm sick and tired of repeating myself.

It' true. What happens after death? What hope do you have?
Please note the respect, or lack thereof, that Byblos gives those that disagree with his point of view.

What happens at death? You die, the end, end of story.

THAT is why atheists enjoy the time we DO have in the here and now.

People like Byblos have stated that they don't care one iota for this world or the people in it, they are only interested in the afterlife. THOSE are the kind of people that waste this present life.

I do not have hope in an afterlife, I do not believe there is one. I do not NEED to have hope in an afterlife.

Waste my present life by insuring a secure afterlife?

Sounds like the best possible use of this temporary life to me.

Byblos, you are trying to insure an afterlife at the cost of everything in THIS life. You refuse to acknowledge anything secular, and anything Christian that doesn't fit your own specific definition.

That, to me, is a waste of knowledge.

EDIT: PLEASE READ THIS...this was posted by me in the Misconceptions thread.

Atheism does not imply that life is meaningless.
Life does not have to be everlasting to have meaning. Quite the opposite. Since we know that life is fleeting, we strive to experience all the meaning we can within that short period.

Well for someone who doesnt have an afterlife sure.... but then again if once your dead your dead nothing matters anyway because its all going to go away so why bother with anything.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I told you I thought my consciousness will be snuffed out, as though it never existed, how would that work out?

I'm not afraid to vanish without a trace. As long as I enjoy life. And help out people along the way. At least then I will have left my mark.

Clarification. You won't just vanish. Nobody vanishes or dies for good. we all live for eternity. It depends where. Heaven, or a place with the absence of a God or any ruler that torments you for eternity. Is that where you want to be left?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Please note the respect, or lack thereof, that Byblos gives those that disagree with his point of view.

What happens at death?  You die, the end, end of story.

THAT is why atheists enjoy the time we DO have in the here and now.

People like Byblos have stated that they don't care one iota for this world or the people in it, they are only interested in the afterlife.  THOSE are the kind of people that waste this present life.

I do not have hope in an afterlife, I do not believe there is one.  I do not NEED to have hope in an afterlife.

The point of life is to prepare for eternity. Everybody lives for eternity. It's just where you decide to go and who you deide to follow, or not follow.

Don't you think we use our time here to our greatest advantage? If you don't accept the belief that there is a God and that his Son Jesus died for your sins, this life is pointless and does not affect anything. Our fate was eternal death, but Jesus died for us and conquered that so we have hope to live for eternity with him. The point of this life is to decide if we will folow him and believe he did die for us.

You may not need to have hope for an aftelife. But boy you'll be sorry if you keep up that attitude when the time comes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Clarification. You won't just vanish. Nobody vanishes or dies for good. we all live for eternity. It depends where. Heaven, or a place with the absence of a God or any ruler that torments you for eternity. Is that where you want to be left?

Without conceit, I can say I am a good person. I dislike hurting people, I feel guilty when I upset or hurt someone else, I would never dream of killing anybody.

I do not need a threat or a notion of eternal paradise to do good. I do good because I feel someone needs a break. Because someone needs cheered up. Because it's the right thing to do. Whatever.

I have no reason besides that ever-elusive reward-punishment waiting for me after death. To believe my fate can be altered, not by increasing my goodness, but by subsribing to your particular brand of faith, would be conceited on my part.

Sorry. Virtue is it's own reward. As long as I help out and make the few people I meet happy, that's enough for me.

your a good person? To god your a lying theiving adulterer....

Please Rithkil explain to him Why God sees him this way I have to go.

Back